Is it wise to buy US imported AVR?

Amansingh

I was planning to buy Yamaha yht 1840. and then I came across people selling imported AVRs. Guys would it be a good idea to buy US Imported ones?

Yes. You can buy from the US which would be much cheaper. You will not get any warranty though. It would be better to buy a higher end avr of 220v as you can use it without a step down transformer

Its doesn't make much difference nowadays as indian dealers started offering heavy discounts.. Peace of mind really matters if u invest quiet a lot of money on these higherend electronics.

Try to Avoid Onkyo Products from abroad.I don't have idea about other brands.
Afaik If any issues with imported onkyo products authorised person will not be taking it for service.It is mentioned on their Onkyo India website in home page.onkyoindia
Try to get AVR from the country where 230v is used to avoid investing on stepdown transformer.
If you are getting good difference in pricing you can proceed with abroad purchase(imo I would prefer if it is high end model/mid segment budget which we cannot afford it in India cos of cost )if you buy basic model from abroad you have to invest in stepdown transformer and customs hassle yes why not safely packing and carrying without damage.Finally it would be costlier than India purchase.
Think and decide if it is lower end model.
It's your call.Opinion differs person to person
Atb

Attachments

• IMG_20180607_070521.jpg
    IMG_20180607_070521.jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
A
I was planning to buy Yamaha yht 1840. and then I came across people selling imported AVRs. Guys would it be a good idea to buy US Imported ones?
Are you talking about local dealers on OLX and such who sell imported stuff? You can go ahead with them after doing a thorough check on them as well as the product. There are a couple of dealers in Chennai and Bangalore who are genuine enough. Not sure about other cities. Do audition the product before putting down the money.

MaSh

A

Are you talking about local dealers on OLX and such who sell imported stuff? You can go ahead with them after doing a thorough check on them as well as the product. There are a couple of dealers in Chennai and Bangalore who are genuine enough. Not sure about other cities. Do audition the product before putting down the money.

MaSh
yes m taking about OLX dealers. he is in delhi. and m ffrom punjab. my friend lives in delhi if i buy ill send him. but i cant personally audition the product . m offered 6 month replacement warranty. prices are yht 2910 for rs 30,000/-, yht 4930 ubl for 28,000/- and AVRs also available like rx v 383bl for 14,000/-.

yes m taking about OLX dealers. he is in delhi. and m ffrom punjab. my friend lives in delhi if i buy ill send him. but i cant personally audition the product . m offered 6 month replacement warranty.

6 months warranty for a product from OLX dealer is great.. If the prices are convincing, you should get them.. They would usually switch on the device & you can check the basic operation by toggling remote buttons (or) the physical AVR input buttons.. You can then make the payment..

yes m taking about OLX dealers. he is in delhi. and m ffrom punjab. my friend lives in delhi if i buy ill send him. but i cant personally audition the product . m offered 6 month replacement warranty. prices are yht 2910 for rs 30,000/-, yht 4930 ubl for 28,000/- and AVRs also available like rx v 383bl for 14,000/-.

Wow 6 months replacement warranty is great from a Dealer. Ask your friend to have the Box opened in front of him, receiver switched on and played with atleast front two speakers connected and run for around 15-20 mins. That should be more than enough. In the end, if the Price looks good, Go for it.

While at it, could you find out whether he has any Marantz SR series receiver? I am looking to upgrade my NR series Marantz.

MaSh

Thanks for reply... can anyone share personal or detailed experience...as i have to decide
I have a personal experience with AVR imported from US and the one bought from a dealer in Mumbai by my Cousin.

My AVR Denon-1604 was hand carried by my sister-in-law in the year 2004 and is still rocking and working perfectly okay, though my usage is a bit occassional with it.

My Cousin bought the Denon (i now forgot the model) from a dealer in Mumbai and it failed in just 3 years after purchase. He mentioned that he had just increased the volume in the AVR and after than a smoke and the AVR PSU got severely damaged.

I am not aware much of price difference as mine was gifted to me.

I have a personal experience with AVR imported from US and the one bought from a dealer in Mumbai by my Cousin.

My AVR Denon-1604 was hand carried by my sister-in-law in the year 2004 and is still rocking and working perfectly okay, though my usage is a bit occassional with it.

My Cousin bought the Denon (i now forgot the model) from a dealer in Mumbai and it failed in just 3 years after purchase. He mentioned that he had just increased the volume in the AVR and after than a smoke and the AVR PSU got severely damaged.

I am not aware much of price difference as mine was gifted to me.
brother u put me in dilemma. haha...

Wow 6 months replacement warranty is great from a Dealer. Ask your friend to have the Box opened in front of him, receiver switched on and played with atleast front two speakers connected and run for around 15-20 mins. That should be more than enough. In the end, if the Price looks good, Go for it.

While at it, could you find out whether he has any Marantz SR series receiver? I am looking to upgrade my NR series Marantz.

MaSh
U can pm me. I'll send u details

its always better to buy from Authorized dealer with warranty as seller warranty is just a word of mouth and if god forbidden repair/fault is expensive I am sure he would just back out or make an excuse like malfunction was due to misuse and cannot be repaired for free.

I have had such an experience with yht 299(2910) which got fried somehow within 5 days of buying but it was proper bill purchase(online), still had to leave it with a dealer in Chandigarh as part was to be imported from Japan and got it back after about 20 days, I cannot imagine what if I didn't have proper bill.

Last edited:

Hope it was a 110V unit + step down transformer..

its always better to buy from Authorized dealer with warranty as seller warranty is just a word of mouth and if god forbidden repair/fault is expensive I am sure he would just back out or make an excuse like malfunction was due to misuse and cannot be repaired for free.

I have had such an experience with yht 299(2910) which got fried somehow within 5 days of buying but it was proper bill purchase(online), still had to leave it with a dealer in Chandigarh as part was to be imported from Japan and got it back after about 20 days, I cannot imagine what if I didn't have proper bill.
We had a Similar Experience with Official Warranty Claim as well. That's why I stopped bothering about Official warranty

Anyways, Congratulations on your purchase, that's a mighty big receiver, needs a good user review by you. Eagerly waiting. Enjoy

Last edited:
We had a Similar Experience with Official Warranty Claim as well. That's why I stopped bothering about Official warranty

Anyways, Congratulations on your purchase, that's a mighty big receiver, needs a good user review by you. Eagerly waiting. Enjoy
Thank you.

True getting warranty claim is an hassle sometimes but it all depends on dealer as well as brand I suppose, social media these days play a good role in getting proper services in case of an issue as you can easily forward your concern to higher up's but condition is it should not be cos of negligent use, but cannot be done so in case of seller warranty, you can never be sure that the grey seller will be able to repair it or has all necessary replacement parts for it or what will be quality of repair, as per me peace of mind is much more important than saving a few thousand rupees.

It is always recommended to buy avr's from a authorised dealer with warranty as avr's are prone to failures in the hdmi board section.

IMO the quality of products imported by dealers in India is Level 3 or Level 4. The same model if bought from US is Level 1 quality. This is mostly to reduce import cost but still charge premium rates to customers.

I have had similar experience with Laptop purchases too as my own personal laptop purchased in 2010 from US is rock steady with no issues. I did not have pleasant exprience buying my earlier laptop in 2007 from Thane dealer and it failed miserably in just 2.5 years. Again the quality of the imports is not good by Indian dealers or maybe Chinese supplier gives only reject materials to India. Cant say.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back