Is it worth getting a sound card over 106dB SNR ALC889A HD audio?

bhaskie

Hi,

I got the following Gigabyte mobo in my HTPC. I am planning to get a Denon 1909 and a set of FS speakers and play music and movies from the HTPC to a 720p LCD (video: HDMI and audio: digital spdif audio).

Do I need a better sound card to go with the above setup? Or will the onboard sound suffice? The ALC889A has optical out which can be connected to the A/V receiver.

I am getting the Creative X-Fi ExtremeGamer sound card for Rs. 4300, but will that even be an upgrade? Are there any other cards within $200 that I should look into?

Amazon.com: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card (70SB073A00000): Electronics

Here's the mobo's link:
GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.0)

And the audio specs:

#High quality 106dB SNR ALC889A HD audio

#High-performance DAC (Digital-Analog Converter) with 106 dB Signal-to-Noise ratio playback quality

#The ALC889A enables high quality Full Rate Lossless Audio for content protected media and support for both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats

#7.1+2 Channel High Definition Output
The ALC889A provides support for 7.1 sound playback, plus 2 channels of independent stereo output (multiple streaming) through the front panel stereo outputs.

Thanks,
Bhaskie

Hi guys,

I own a ASUS XONAR HDAV 1.3(not deluxe - cause only one PCI x 1 express slot ) in my MB. Well, specs, please see in the link moserw gave. Coming to sound, they are using sueior chips and all burr brown DAC's.

I stream the music through Optical & coax to Yamaha v663 to tannoy mx-1's speakers for music. weel for movies. I plan to buy the new(based on reviews) or old Benq 24" monitor and a PS3 too for completely using HDMI.

Sound is way ahead of onboard and theHDAv is not needed unles one wanting to be future proof. But kust read the asus thread on AVSforum and u will be greeted with unlimited issues.

Any queries w.r.t these post it.

PS: But if yamaha id processing, in Dolby pro logic mode and enhanced stereo, sound is much better. i am a loss when I think about the sound Denon 1909 or 2039 should be to hear.

Shouldnt the HDMI port transfer audio and video both ?
If the hdmi does transmit audio then you do not need a soundcard as your avr's dac's would be doing all the processing and playback anyway.

yes, true:)

I just route my sound to monitor through regular DV to monitor and use spdif to AVR and logitech z 5500 as and when needed.

need to get a 24' or highr to get a fill hd right.:) Then will use HDMi. i am undeutilising my card and avr both I know.:eek:

Hi guys,

I own a ASUS XONAR HDAV 1.3(not deluxe - cause only one PCI x 1 express slot ) in my MB. Well, specs, please see in the link moserw gave. Coming to sound, they are using sueior chips and all burr brown DAC's.

I stream the music through Optical & coax to Yamaha v663 to tannoy mx-1's speakers for music. weel for movies. I plan to buy the new(based on reviews) or old Benq 24" monitor and a PS3 too for completely using HDMI.

Sound is way ahead of onboard and theHDAv is not needed unles one wanting to be future proof. But kust read the asus thread on AVSforum and u will be greeted with unlimited issues.

Any queries w.r.t these post it.

PS: But if yamaha id processing, in Dolby pro logic mode and enhanced stereo, sound is much better. i am a loss when I think about the sound Denon 1909 or 2039 should be to hear.

Thanks! will check the card. How much did the Xonar cost you? If I use HDMI passthrough, there's no point of getting an expensive card right?

Shouldnt the HDMI port transfer audio and video both ?
If the hdmi does transmit audio then you do not need a soundcard as your avr's dac's would be doing all the processing and playback anyway.

Yes it should. I haven't been able to test this out since I don't have an AVR yet.
The Mobo has HDMI out, DVI out and Spdif out. I think the spdif out is there for clubbing with the DVI out. I will have to confirm this.

Thanks,
Bhaskie

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back