Is Oppo 103D worth for a Stereo DAC

Hi All,

I had invested on Oppo103D a while ago to have a source which can serve both Home Theater and Stereo Taste of mine.

However now my taste of HiFi music is more hence thinking about a better solution for my Stereo DAC. Hence wanted to know how good is Oppo 103D compared to Schiit dac or Mojo's etc..

Looking forward to see your valuable thoughts here.

Thanks,
Vinod

I personally use an Oppo 103 which serves me quite well for Stereo and even HT purposes.....

Audio CDs sound much more better than the usual CD player or DVD player I had before.......Prior to the Oppo 103, I used the Pioneer BDP LX 55 which was good too....

The Oppo 103 is hooked via HDMI, yet to try the analog RCA connections to the Marantz SR series AVR I am using......

If you want to compare the Oppo 103D with Schiit DAC or others....best route would be to understand the chip-sets and circuitry in them and then compare.......(The Oppo has Wolfson WM8740 DAC )

Oppo 103 has the Cirrus Logic 4382A dac, not Wolfson. Its quite a good a good dac and 103 compares well to a midpriced CD player. That said, you can always use it as a CD transport and connect to a better dac through optical/coaxial outs. Even if you buy Schiit or Mojo you will need a CD transport if you have a large CD collection

Oppo 103 has the Cirrus Logic 4382A dac, not Wolfson. Its quite a good a good dac and 103 compares well to a midpriced CD player. That said, you can always use it as a CD transport and connect to a better dac through optical/coaxial outs. Even if you buy Schiit or Mojo you will need a CD transport if you have a large CD collection

True... I would love to use them for CD transport. But wanted your thought on comparison of DAC sound quality to Schiit or Mojo. As I do not see any other comparison being made, got bit confused.

True... I would love to use them for CD transport. But wanted your thought on comparison of DAC sound quality to Schiit or Mojo. As I do not see any other comparison being made, got bit confused.
I have used Oppo 103 with following dacs: M2Tech Young DSD DAC, Oppo Sonica, Metrum Pavane. Each one has given better SQ than the built in dac. Currently I am using the Metrum. I have not heard Schiit and Mojo, but the Mojo has had very good reviews.

Hello Sir,
I'm new here and so my comment might sound dumb, but I'm going to date and ask anyway. I was very curious when I read your comment, so I was wondering.....
Even if we connect a good DAC to the existing cd player, won't the music quality be compromised by the ability of the source player reading the disc ?

Thanks in advance.
AG

I have compared 103d as transport to dedicate audio cd player and I think dedicate cd player clearly win ,not only as transport

May i know the CD player used for comparing 103D as Transport ? What kind of connectivity did you use ? optical or Coax ?

Hello Sir,
I'm new here and so my comment might sound dumb, but I'm going to date and ask anyway. I was very curious when I read your comment, so I was wondering.....
Even if we connect a good DAC to the existing cd player, won't the music quality be compromised by the ability of the source player reading the disc ?

Thanks in advance.
AG

Even though the CD reading transport matters, major sound quality depends how the Digital to Analog conversation is done. Hence if you transport the Digital signal, per say through a optical cable from your CD player to DAC, It's all depends on how DAC performs.

I hope we do not have a second opinion here. Let me know if any of you guys things otherwise.

Even though the CD reading transport matters, major sound quality depends how the Digital to Analog conversation is done. Hence if you transport the Digital signal, per say through a optical cable from your CD player to DAC, It's all depends on how DAC performs.

I hope we do not have a second opinion here. Let me know if any of you guys things otherwise.

Thanks for clarifying.
Happy listening.

how about conecting pc to oppo ( via hdmi input) and getting 7.1 via analog directly going to either power amplifiers or powered speakers?
oppo as bluray preamplifier
i think it would be fabulous and might outperform many highend AVR

how about conecting pc to oppo ( via hdmi input) and getting 7.1 via analog directly going to either power amplifiers or powered speakers?
oppo as bluray preamplifier
i think it would be fabulous and might outperform many highend AVR
I used mine in a similar manner. Only difference I used mine connected to the tv via an HDMI Arc setup. Analog out was fed to a powered 5.1 speaker setup. It was fantastic. With the new crop of palm sized class d amps, one can truly build an awesome system.

PS: yup I am aware i am replying to an old thread.

MaSh

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back