Is Panasonic Viera G10 the new Best Buy?

Sumain

Hi all,

I am planning to buy a new 42" plasma TV.

I am currently using an LG 29" 100 Hz slim TV with the following setup:

Denon AVR-1908 amplifier. Sony DVD player. Wharfedale 5.1 speakers.
(The Denon amp does have HDMI, although currently I am using component cables since both TV and DVD player have component and no HDMI)

Usage is mostly TV watching with a bit of music and movies.

Viewing distance is about 8 feet.

I am currently using cable TV but plan to install a Tata Sky plus or other DTH (which one do you suggest?). Would like to improve the picture quality. Also may go in for a new upconverting DVD player like the Pioneer 610.

Is the Panny G10 the right choice here? Is it a better choice for 2009 than the PV8 (which has been the forum favourite) ?

Look forward to your responses.

Cheers

Sumain

Well i would recommend to audition both the sets and then take a call on the same as there is a huge cost difference of around 23k .

Also u should decide what will be your maximum viewing, and then take a call.
As G10 is a full HD set and Pv8 is a HD ready

Panasonic plasmas are so VFM tv's - i stand by my PV8 plasma regarding the PQ for SD, just awesome. But, remember the G10 is a full HD tv and it might not do justice to SD. If you're more into HD stuff, then it's walk in the park with the G10's. Having said that, if it's mostly SD viewing, i would rather look into HD ready plasmas from Panasonic and Samsung.

hey vinod, shouldn't your signature say SR60i and not GR60i?

and to the thread starter, check out the models from panasonic and samsung (i have a samsung), both are very good an excellent VFM. At 42" the benefits of full HD are small, but evident, so you have to take a call whether you want to spend some 20K + extra for that.

Why don't you splash out and buy a 50" Full HD plasma, samsung has one for an MRP of 1 lakh, that would be a street price of maybe 90-95?

Panasonic plasmas are so VFM tv's - i stand by my PV8 plasma regarding the PQ for SD, just awesome. But, remember the G10 is a full HD tv and it might not do justice to SD. If you're more into HD stuff, then it's walk in the park with the G10's. Having said that, if it's mostly SD viewing, i would rather look into HD ready plasmas from Panasonic and Samsung.

well at 8 feet u can notice the benefits of FHD on 42inch plasma,the G10 also has a higher contrast ratio more then twice that of PV8.
but since it is FHD its SD performance won't be as good as the pv8.

if u are going to use it with tata sky+ or big tv etc which has a component out,output from these are 576i and panasonic G10 is not good at displaying 576i signal.since its VIERA image processing isn't as good as the samsung image processing in B650 which is also available around the same price.nor is it as good as the BE3 engine V550A or W550A but then the sony are more expensive.

so i would look at the samsung B650A has another good alternative ,its also has some good media playback capability.

50inch is to big for ur viewing distance.

below u can see the loss in details by the panasonic plasma V10 when fed a 576i signal.
simoncowellpanasonicv10.jpg

below more then 2 year old samsung lcd which has superior image processing.
notice the extra details in Simon Cowells coat that is missing in panasonic plasmas like PV8 and g10,v10.
simoncowellsamsungf96.jpg

the samsung B650 will look much better then that image due to further improvements in image processing and contrast.

Last edited:
oh yes, i didn't notice your viewing distance, for 8 feet, 42 inch is about as big as you should go, that's what i myself have done (my distance is abotu 7.5 feet), and yes the 40" LCDs are worth considering as well, depending on your lighting conditions, proposed use, and personal preference.

50inch is to big for ur viewing distance.

Actually much of the family viewing is SD TV, which will now be over Tata Sky+.

I was considering the Panasonic X10 (instead of PV8) versus the Panasonic G10, and wondering if the G10 would be the better buy (future proof, so to say).

However, today's major need is Standard Definition TV over Tata Sky plus, and a few DVD movies now and then.

So, do you think I should consider the X10 then?

Cheers

Sumain

Actually much of the family viewing is SD TV, which will now be over Tata Sky+.

I was considering the Panasonic X10 (instead of PV8) versus the Panasonic G10, and wondering if the G10 would be the better buy (future proof, so to say).

However, today's major need is Standard Definition TV over Tata Sky plus, and a few DVD movies now and then.

So, do you think I should consider the X10 then?

Cheers

Sumain

well for tata sky+ the samsung B650 would be a better bet then the panasonic G10 since they handle 576i videos better.as far as X10 i don't think its worth, its better to go with the older PV8 since it is cheaper.

well for tata sky+ the samsung B650 would be a better bet then the panasonic G10 since they handle 576i videos better.as far as X10 i don't think its worth, its better to go with the older PV8 since it is cheaper.

How many things actually produce 576i video? He seems to have a denon AVR in any case which can do the 576i to whatever format conversion. In everything else, the panasonic will murder the samsung.

I agree with you though - the PV8 is a better buy than the X10. I failed to notice any difference between the two.

How many things actually produce 576i video? He seems to have a denon AVR in any case which can do the 576i to whatever format conversion. In everything else, the panasonic will murder the samsung.

Most of us do not route the DTH/TV thru the AVR as keeping the AVR on for normal TV viewing will boost the power bill significantly.

I agree with you though - the PV8 is a better buy than the X10. I failed to notice any difference between the two.

well since he specificaly said he is going to use it with tata sky+ which outputs a 576i signal.yes the G10 is better in other regards like i told in the other thread

Most of us do not route the DTH/TV thru the AVR as keeping the AVR on for normal TV viewing will boost the power bill significantly.

Wow! Thats the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. How much power do you think an AVR is gonna eat? When just doing video up conversion, I doubt it'd eat more than 20-30W. Even at full tilt, it'd not eat more than 100W.

Wow! Thats the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. How much power do you think an AVR is gonna eat? When just doing video up conversion, I doubt it'd eat more than 20-30W. Even at full tilt, it'd not eat more than 100W.

Well its not exactly ridiculous so as to say . I too never prefer routing any of my video signals through AVR . Why should I unnecessarily keep it on irrespective of the power it consumes especially if it does not make that much of a difference in the video quality so as to say.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back