Is the word "tube" misused?

anm

I come across products that say "tube based". For example DACs, active crossovers.
What is the role of "tubes" in them? Is it misuse to misguide normal user making him think "oh it has tubes inside it, it has got to be audiophile grade"?

I come across products that say "tube based". For example DACs, active crossovers.
What is the role of "tubes" in them? Is it misuse to misguide normal user making him think "oh it has tubes inside it, it has got to be audiophile grade"?

Not sure about active crossovers but there are very many DACs that use a tube output stage. The basic idea is that the output of the DAC needs I/V (current to voltage) conversion and initial amplification to the nominal 2V that most sources output.

This can either be done by a tube stage or a passive resistor network or a discrete transistor output stage or in most entry level sources - opamps. What is best? Depends upon a lot of things - including the implementation. A well implemented opamp output stage will beat a mediocre discrete output or tube output stage.

roc - I have purchased a lyrita pre amp recently. it is not currently in use - hope I will learn from you in heavily modding it.

Any idea how good is it's power supply is? Can I use it for a DAC as well as pre amp?

The one I have doesn't have phono - and there is no way I can set balance of left right, or boost treble or bass.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back