Is transport more important

amit11

Hi Friends,

I am using airport express as the transport (the oldest model which is better in comparison to the newer model). It is connected to Schiit modi dac via spdif optical toslink.

I have both models and have tested both the older and newer models of airport express as transport and have observed that the older model sounds better, even though the DAC is same. I had read on net that jitter from transport is carried tothe dac and a normal dac cannot remove it.

So my question is which DAC i can use that has reclocking for the incoming spdif optical and it then outputs a cleaner stream.

Or is it worthwhile to use a separate spdif reclocker like wyred4sound, the monarchy audio DIP, synchro mesh, etc. These reclockers are in the range of 400 to 600 usd, hence expensive already. Such reclockers will be used between the transport and DAC.

Thanks.
Amit.

Last edited:
Such reclockers will be used between the transport and DAC.

I would use that money to buy a better DAC (ie. mutibit RSR).

The transport is important, but with the Modi, maybe not. It is however not the only thing to be concerned about.

I am not DAC blind (or is that deaf), but cannot hear differences across the few sources I have on my rig. Far bigger differences come from the room. I'd put my money on treatment and with the left over get some decent transport (a NUC or pi type thing maybe)

ciao
gr

Thanks. What is multibit RSR kind of dac?
And why do you say "but with the Modi, maybe not".

I would use that money to buy a better DAC (ie. mutibit RSR).

The transport is important, but with the Modi, maybe not. It is however not the only thing to be concerned about.

I am not DAC blind (or is that deaf), but cannot hear differences across the few sources I have on my rig. Far bigger differences come from the room. I'd put my money on treatment and with the left over get some decent transport (a NUC or pi type thing maybe)

ciao
gr

I second that. half the trouble is just placement and focusing the speakers right. Most of the times, aesthetics wins and the urge for constant upgrades remain high.

Everything is important. It's the synergy of the entire system. So yes transport matters. Just a few days back I was listening to system with Rega Apollo R and Line Magnetic DAC to me it was bright ,changed the transport to a Rega ISIS warmer thereafter!!!

I noticed a considerable improvement when i started feeding my audiogd DAC with optical spdif of hifiberry digi i2s card instead of usb from pi.

Do schiit dacs having input as spdif and coaxial, have reclocker inside? I dont think modi has it, but how about other upper end models?

Do schiit dacs having input as spdif and coaxial, have reclocker inside? I dont think modi has it, but how about other upper end models?

you mean that buy better light lighting up reclocker ? Thats's Yggy only, i think.

or do you mean they are NOS. all them multibits are.

ciao
gr

No..let me explain again. I have a modi dac with only optical input. What i had observed was ; keeping the dac same but changing the transport, i had observed that there was change in the sound. This leads me to believe that the transport also plays a key role.

This happens bcos in spdif, the time domain data + audio data are clubbed together and passed to the dac and that is why if the dac is not reclocking the data after it receives, it will depend on the transport for timing.

If modi had reclocking inside it, it would have sounded same while comparing with transport 1 and transport 2. That is what i think.

So my question is which schiit dacs have reclocking inside it? I am not taking for usb asynchromous dacs which i assume by default reclock bcos its usb asynchronous, but i am talking about optical and coaxial input dacs.

Sent from my SM-N750 using Tapatalk

In my personal experience yes, very much so. I've used CD players, Blu-ray players, PCs, and even small SOCs like Raspberry Pi and NAS/network players... and listened to some expensive source/transports like Linn.

All of them have had an impact on the SQ... some good, most bad. Now I'm using a NAS and a Pi and can say I've a setup that equates to a good CDP (in the range of $2000-$3000), but only with a good external DAC (Schiit Gungnir Multibit).

PS: I've rarely used cleaners and reclockers and have never found them to improve SQ in my setup, but I've also had huge gains with electrical and galvanic isolation. So other than reclocking also test for electrical and network isolation like network switch, wireless/DLNA, fiberoptic, Toslink cables, etc.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back