Is Vinyl better than CD?

hey stevie,

nothing in that passage suggests that the nyquist shannon ntheorem "does not work", "in real life". as ajinkya has explained, it works in several applications in engineering and this perfection that the wikipedia article claims it is not capable of, is not necessary.

Using the limitations of nyquist shannon to criticise CDs is about as meaningless as using THD figures to criticise tube amps. The fact is that it does not deteriorate the sound. If it did, then it would deteriorate the sound of all modern LPs as well, because of the reasons i've mentioned.

Psychotropic,

Do read my post carefully, I wasn't suggesting the theorem doesn't work. This is what I was referring to. quoted from wiki.

"Practical considerations

A few consequences can be drawn from the theorem:

If the highest frequency B in the original signal is known, the theorem gives the lower bound on the sampling frequency for which perfect reconstruction can be assured. This lower bound to the sampling frequency, 2B, is called the Nyquist rate.
If instead the sampling frequency is known, the theorem gives us an upper bound for frequency components, B<fs/2, of the signal to allow for perfect reconstruction. This upper bound is the Nyquist frequency, denoted fN.
Both of these cases imply that the signal to be sampled must be bandlimited; that is, any component of this signal which has a frequency above a certain bound should be zero, or at least sufficiently close to zero to allow us to neglect its influence on the resulting reconstruction. In the first case, the condition of bandlimitation of the sampled signal can be accomplished by assuming a model of the signal which can be analysed in terms of the frequency components it contains; for example, sounds that are made by a speaking human normally contain very small frequency components at or above 10 kHz and it is then sufficient to sample such an audio signal with a sampling frequency of at least 20 kHz. For the second case, we have to assure that the sampled signal is bandlimited such that frequency components at or above half of the sampling frequency can be neglected. This is usually accomplished by means of a suitable low-pass filter; for example, if it is desired to sample speech waveforms at 8 kHz, the signals should first be lowpass filtered to below 4 kHz.
In practice, neither of the two statements of the sampling theorem described above can be completely satisfied, and neither can the reconstruction formula be precisely implemented. The reconstruction process that involves scaled and delayed sinc functions can be described as ideal. It cannot be realized in practice since it implies that each sample contributes to the reconstructed signal at almost all time points, requiring summing an infinite number of terms. Instead, some type of approximation of the sinc functions, finite in length, has to be used. The error that corresponds to the sinc-function approximation is referred to as interpolation error. Practical digital-to-analog converters produce neither scaled and delayed sinc functions nor ideal impulses (that if ideally low-pass filtered would yield the original signal), but a sequence of scaled and delayed rectangular pulses. This practical piecewise-constant output can be modeled as a zero-order hold filter driven by the sequence of scaled and delayed dirac impulses referred to in the mathematical basis section below. A shaping filter is sometimes used after the DAC with zero-order hold to make a better overall approximation.
Furthermore, in practice, a signal can never be perfectly bandlimited, since ideal "brick-wall" filters cannot be realized. All practical filters can only attenuate frequencies outside a certain range, not remove them entirely. In addition to this, a "time-limited" signal can never be bandlimited. This means that even if an ideal reconstruction could be made, the reconstructed signal would not be exactly the original signal. The error that corresponds to the failure of bandlimitation is referred to as aliasing.
The sampling theorem does not say what happens when the conditions and procedures are not exactly met, but its proof suggests an analytical framework in which the non-ideality can be studied. A designer of a system that deals with sampling and reconstruction processes needs a thorough understanding of the signal to be sampled, in particular its frequency content, the sampling frequency, how the signal is reconstructed in terms of interpolation, and the requirement for the total reconstruction error, including aliasing, sampling, interpolation and other errors. These properties and parameters may need to be carefully tuned in order to obtain a useful system."

I'm sure someone knowledgeable like ajinkya could clarify further. The way I understand it is yes tons of applications could be made in daily life like ajinkya suggests but they would not be as perfect as they could have been. Workable yes, perfect no.

regards

@Rajiv,

Digital LP's sound good/better than CD because,in many cases the full digital signal can be represented on the LP whereas it must be compressed to 16 bits for standard red book CD.

Rajiv, when it's digital it is always assumed that the signal is not 'complete', the question is whether the sampling frequency and the bit-rate are sufficient to cross the nyquist threshold and that's a yes/no issue. If it is sufficient, then we are not hearing compromised sound at all. The same argument can be held against 24bit audio as well, because digital at the end of the day is not 'complete.'

CDs mastered from these recordings must either downsampled, or be converted to analog and then back to digital. There is an inherent loss of fidelity with both of these processes.

A lot of recording/mixing/mastering these days happens "in the box" where it is digital from end-to-end through mastering and pressing. In the case of vinyl it has to go through a DAC before it is pressed to vinyl. I would assume that the DAC-ing process will have at least as much of a detrimental effect on fidelity as any variation of sampling rate may have. So this is not really a works-for-all criticism in the CD v. vinyl debate.

- With vinyl, there are many more user-adjustable components in the signal path (stylus/cartridge/tonearm/table/pre-amp) than CD. Each of these components can have a very dramatic effect on the sound. Vinyl enthusiasts can tune their systems to their liking via their choice of components. Take the same sound, and you'll get different responses from different people: one man's 'natural and neutral' is another man's 'flat and lifeless'.

This is why I posit that perhaps vinyl also adds a special sauce to the music. It's not a bad thing at all, but perhaps it is the absence of this special sauce and not the failure of the nyquist-shannon theorem that vinyl-heads don't like about CDs.

- The limitations of vinyl actually help make it easier on the ears. This is both in terms of EQ (i.e. excessive treble and out-of-phase low frequencies must be avoided to prevent severe mistracking) and sharp attacks and transients. Case in point: a pure square wave is harsh and nasty. You can't record it onto vinyl and have it still be a square wave, for it's not possible for the cutting head to instantly go from the top of the waveform to the bottom. The cutting process smooths it down a bit, and also makes it easier on your speakers (which, like your stylus, can't instantly move from top to bottom). CDs are limited only by the nyquist frequency. You can put a full-on square wave on digital, and hear the resulting nastiness.

And here again, one man's limitation is another man's detail, and the other man's limitation is the first man's 'easier on the ears'. It is conceivable that someone would want to hear every single accurate detail of the recording including excessive treble, out of phase low frequencies and any other gremlins or deviations from the norm. Since vinyl is a medium where a lot of this has to be sacrificed, would it not be valid to suggest that vinyl is a compromised medium from a fidelity perspective and therefore inferior to CD? (on much the same grounds that the vinyl-heads point the finger at nyquist). No I don't believe in the previous statement, but I am just trying to say that technical criticisms are sometimes backworked from a conclusion and need not really count for too much. At the end of the day it's a preference.

Usually mastering is digital,but not always. Digital mastering will often have analog stages, but again not always. 90% or more of new recordings are digital and the analog ones almost always have a digital source somewhere, a sample or digital reverb. Vinyl still needs to be cut and the dynamics of it and bass summing are going to be different than a cd, plus you are going to have the inherent sound of vinyl in the mix. Often they will master the vinyl from a higher res digital than 16/44.1 and you will get a bit of a different sound than the downsampled redbook.

Absolutely. Vinyl has the "inherent sound of vinyl" and this seems to be what the vinyl heads love. And that's great. It can be called musicality or emotion or any of these things, but it certainly doesn't sound accurate to call it superior fidelity as many vinyl-heads claim.

Really it's all a matter of what sounds good to you. Most everything is hybrid these days. I hope this helps.

Yes sir! agreed.

Ah Psychotropic,

There are so many factors indeed. If you say that perfection is not needed in the theorem, then let it rest at that cos I'm in no way a tech guy at all.

At the end of the day one's own ears will decide if one wants to build up a vinyl / digital system.

regards

Rajiv, Viren; I have read these contradictory reviews myself many times and wondered what was happening. Though I don't have answers, for me, the best is when the ears and the measuring instruments match. If they don't, it simply becomes one man's word against another.

In AV, all of us have the great capacity to push esoteric words like 'magic' and get away with it. That is something one cannot argue with, can one?

Take the case of DAC1 from Benchmark. Time and again it has been proven that the product invariably produces the best measurable results. It is a product that professionals use without hesitation. At the same time, most reviewers hate the product and call it 'clinical'. In my own hearing I have yet to hear a DAC that comes close to what the DAC1 delivers in terms of sound stage and 'accuracy'. With no other DAC have I been able to hear each and every single note without any fatigue for hours together. I have also heard the DAC1 attached to a tube amp, and the combination was simply 'magical', for want of a better word. Hell, I am getting into the same rut!!

You may like 2nd harmonic distortion. But that does not change the fact that distortion is present. And that is why this field is so damn subjective.

Cheers

I have said this before, but this is one of the reasons I like Stereophile reviews.Cheers

The process is fine but I will never believe them. There are obviously clandestine factors at play.

I have heard some of their top rated loudspeakers and they sound like garbage.

In AV, all of us have the great capacity to push esoteric words like 'magic' and get away with it. That is something one cannot argue with, can one?

Very well said venkatcr...

but, think about this, would you rather have a set up that is perfect on paper, but totally sterile to the ear?

The fact still remains that there are so many unknown parameters that we can't measure yet. Some of the best gear that has 'magic' propbably are working at levels that we currently cannot measure...

And yes, at the end of the day - to each his own!

Cd is the best medium for people who dig it and Vinyl is the only options for some of us (me included)!

but, think about this, would you rather have a set up that is perfect on paper, but totally sterile to the ear?

The fact still remains that there are so many unknown parameters that we can't measure yet. Some of the best gear that has 'magic' propbably are working at levels that we currently cannot measure...And yes, at the end of the day - to each his own!

Actually I forgot to mention where I was coming from. I think of it as a simple two step process. You first look at the specification as the first filter to approve or reject a few units. Then you audition with your own ears to take the final step of approval or rejection.

I have heard many units manufactured by people who have never bothered to get any kind of measurements done or specifications specified. And the result, at least to me, has never been positive. When I know the specs of an unit, at least I know what to expect and what not to.

Cheers

Actually I forgot to mention where I was coming from. I think of it as a simple two step process. You first look at the specification as the first filter to approve or reject a few units. Then you audition with your own ears to take the final step of approval or rejection.

I have heard many units manufactured by people who have never bothered to get any kind of measurements done or specifications specified. And the result, at least to me, has never been positive. When I know the specs of an unit, at least I know what to expect and what not to.

Cheers

then we both are saying the same thing!

I heard Santhol,s new TT with a budget pocket sized phonostage and after that could not tolerate my CDP for a whole week - suddenly my opinion about the CDPs relaxed and laid-back sound was replaced by words like sluggish, thick and congealed sound :mad:

Cheers

I heard Santhol,s new TT with a budget pocket sized phonostage and after that could not tolerate my CDP for a whole week - suddenly my opinion about the CDPs relaxed and laid-back sound was replaced by words like sluggish, thick and congealed sound :mad:

Cheers
Thanks Gobble, I agree with you on the quality of Vinyl. When I am back from Singapore, let us plan another meet - Saikat, you, me, Abhishek and anyone else interested. This time round, we'll listen with a much better phonostage - The Lehmann Audio Black Cube that I have recently bought from a serious audiophile friend, SKR who owns some very exotic gear. He had not used it for more than 30 minutes as he owned much higher end phonostages. Got it at a good price, must say it was priced and repriced specially(read as lesser) for me as I was a budding Vinyl enthusiast. So thanks to him.

The budget phonostage was on loan from another member Cary_Audio_Design(Abhishek). My sincere thanks to him for helping me setup my TT and also educating the Trio on Turntables in general. I can't wait to get back home and spin some Vinyl.

In my limited exposure to Vinyl and having listened to some very expensive CDPs, SACD etc, my take is that Vinyl definitley sounds better, not gonna argue how and why. My ears tell me so and thats enough for me:). Period.

Although I enjoy Vinyl, I do not see myself moving away from CDs although my plans to upgrade my CDP are currently on hold. I will continue to listen to CDs too and am considering moving the CDP to my bedroom setup. This will leave the Turntable and the Squeezebox in the listening room - two extremes based on mood and time available at hand.

Can you afford to pay close to 1000 for each new LP?

hey i have noticed you somehow come up with ones purchasing power when a question is tossed... and i really fail to understand!!
it is a simple question as to which sounds better... and i dont know how if someone could afford a grand on a record could change the way he perceives his sound??!!

Last edited by a moderator:
hey i have noticed you somehow come up with ones purchasing power when a question is tossed... and i really fail to understand!!
it is a simple question as to which sounds better... and i dont know how if someone could afford a grand on a record could change the way he perceives his sound??!!

Nothing wrong rijuc, why would that offend anyone? At some point price/affordability has value in such debates. Helps bringing everyone on the same page.

For Eg: In a debate like "Is Maruti Esteem better than a Ferrari", no point talking only about Ferrari's performance right? Whether one can afford fuel expenses on a Ferrari leave alone the Ferrari itself should also figure in such debates.

Similarly, when someone says a decent well setup TT rig can easily beat CD players several times its cost, related factors like cost/affordability/convenience/maintenance will be spoken about.

EDIT: About why venkat asks questions on budget/affordability in other threads, it is simply so as to provide guidance based on requirement and budget. It has happened many times that we beat around the bush and learn after 3 pages that the OP had a budget that was 1/3rd of what was being suggested by members or he could afford more while we were suggesting a system with a much lower budget in mind. You know well that one solution does not fit all right?

Just my two cents:)

Last edited:
Nothing wrong rijuc, why would that offend anyone? At some point price/affordability has value in such debates. Helps bringing everyone on the same page.

For Eg: In a debate like "Is Maruti Esteem better than a Ferrari", no point talking only about Ferrari's performance right? Whether one can afford fuel expenses on a Ferrari leave alone the Ferrari itself should also figure in such debates.

Similarly, when someone says a decent well setup TT rig can easily beat CD players several times its cost, related factors like cost/affordability/convenience/maintenance will be spoken about.

EDIT: About why venkat asks questions on budget/affordability in other threads, it is simply so as to provide guidance based on requirement and budget. It has happened many times that we beat around the bush and learn after 3 pages that the OP had a budget that was 1/3rd of what was being suggested by members or he could afford more while we were suggesting a system with a much lower budget in mind. You know well that one solution does not fit all right?

Just my two cents:)

Right
Think of cost of ownership of Record Rig
I think 100 albums is decent number
now you have to start with 200 albums ,then 100 can be achived,as MANY ALBUMS AE NOT AVAILABLE ON VINYL.

If you are into modern bollywood,tamil or regional music NO VINYL RELEASED!
For older once you need to rely old used stuff and your luck to get it.

Also RS 1000 is genrally average. If you check net pricing too there are some LPs whic are more that US$ 25.Also need to factor transportation cost

So for 100 albums ( out of 200) you end up spending more than a lack.

LP player needs maintainance too.

Also factor in price of phono stage.

Think of procuring one india and problem increses...what choice we have ,what brands are available?

SO THIS IS TEDIOUS AND EXPENSIVE JOURNEY TO ACHIEVE BETTER SOUND.....IMHO.

budget comes into play when one wants to acquire something... here the OP just wants to know what sounds better... had the OP stated that he desires to change his entire music collection from CDs to records that would have been a different question altogether...
i personally like CDs... the LPs sound a little damp... then again it is a personal thing... the last thing you would want is an ESP with EMGs sounding like a Strat!! till then it doesnt really matter if it a CD or a vinyl...
no offense meant though...

In the last 2 weeks i have had a vinyl set up at home.

As far as old hindi music hoes, vinyl definitely sounds better than cd. But old hindi film vinyl has a lot of surface noise and clicks. If you are willing to overlook this than its fine.

As far as English goes, it depends on the mastering. For example Simon Garfunkel Bookends sounds far better on cd than on vinyl. The Bookends is a MFSL cd and the vinyl is a first UK press which is reportedly superior to the US first press. For heavy rock i prefer cds to vinyl.

My vinyl rig is mid level and my digital rig is fairly high end.

In the last 2 weeks i have had a vinyl set up at home.

As far as old hindi music hoes, vinyl definitely sounds better than cd. But old hindi film vinyl has a lot of surface noise and clicks. If you are willing to overlook this than its fine.

As far as English goes, it depends on the mastering. For example Simon Garfunkel Bookends sounds far better on cd than on vinyl. The Bookends is a MFSL cd and the vinyl is a first UK press which is reportedly superior to the US first press. For heavy rock i prefer cds to vinyl.

My vinyl rig is mid level and my digital rig is fairly high end.

This is the kind of feedback which is useful. If one is not a fan boy of either camp, then this is the reality.

For the same music, the performance can go either way depending on many factors.

Thanks Gobble, I agree with you on the quality of Vinyl. When I am back from Singapore, let us plan another meet - Saikat, you, me, Abhishek and anyone else interested. This time round, we'll listen with a much better phonostage - The Lehmann Audio Black Cube that I have recently bought from a serious audiophile friend, SKR who owns some very exotic gear. He had not used it for more than 30 minutes as he owned much higher end phonostages. Got it at a good price, must say it was priced and repriced specially(read as lesser) for me as I was a budding Vinyl enthusiast. So thanks to him.

The budget phonostage was on loan from another member Cary_Audio_Design(Abhishek). My sincere thanks to him for helping me setup my TT and also educating the Trio on Turntables in general. I can't wait to get back home and spin some Vinyl.

In my limited exposure to Vinyl and having listened to some very expensive CDPs, SACD etc, my take is that Vinyl definitley sounds better, not gonna argue how and why. My ears tell me so and thats enough for me:). Period.

Although I enjoy Vinyl, I do not see myself moving away from CDs although my plans to upgrade my CDP are currently on hold. I will continue to listen to CDs too and am considering moving the CDP to my bedroom setup. This will leave the Turntable and the Squeezebox in the listening room - two extremes based on mood and time available at hand.

Santhol2
One thing is for sure. anytime I am looking for 2nd hand deals, I will appoint you as the "Agent" :eek:hyeah: The kinda deals that have materialized for you .. WOW!

I sure wanna listen to that mysterious black cube .... "Mandrake Mandrake Mandrake ..." "Theron .. Theron .. Theron ...." will be replaced by "Gobble ... Gobble .. Gobble..." & "Santhol ... Santhol ... Santhol ..." if you know what I mean ... :)

Cheers

I completely agree with you santhol2 there is nothing to feel offended. Congrats for your new TT. Venkat has always enlightened and guided our forum members with his deep knowledge. How much you paid for TT? If you don't mind in disclosing the price? After reading your experience with TT it is I am getting more inclined towards TT. Yes I agree one needs to pay premium price to afford one but somewhere I read that used Vinly is available in the price range of Rs 100 to Rs 500 but I am not sure about the quality. There is one MR. Balaji in Bangalore who deals with the old Vinyls. If you can search through the forum you can get his details.

I am getting a old TT from $20 to $300 here in USA. Will it compatible in India I mean with the Stereo amp like NAD,ARCAM or CA? If you suggest me some good brand then I can start my hunt to pick some old model.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back