Is Yamaha A S-801 integrated amplifier a audiophile solution

Demo Yamaha R-N602 integrated amplifier at Pune

Update:

Im now in Pune for 15 days vacation. Searched web for Hi fi dealers in Pune and found AV excellent dealer at Dhole Patil Road. I visited this dealer yesterday. He shoed some high end stereo system using two mono block amplifiers and high end speakers.

He recommended latest Yamaha RN 602 integrated stereo amplifier

R-N602 - Stereo Receivers - Hi-Fi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

He claimed that he sold lot of this system on eBay and Amazon.

He gave me demo on my reference MP3. Sound was really very clear.

Friends what do you think about this

Here are images

2co2z2q.jpg

21c6sud.jpg

Horn tweeter has flat frequency frequency response from mid range to treble frequency.

Last edited:
Never seen these. Not much info on the net either.Arent these kinds of speakers qutie efficient generally? Do you need 100 watt amp for these? you could get a nice tube amp and a dac and it might look even cooler.

Never seen these. Not much info on the net either.Arent these kinds of speakers qutie efficient generally? Do you need 100 watt amp for these? you could get a nice tube amp and a dac and it might look even cooler.

I recall what I learn in electronics engineering. Horn is nothing but acoustic transformer. It matches mouth (tweeter) air impedance with open air hence amplifying sound. Beauty of this is it serves purpose of mid range + High frequency.

Here is some interesting discussion.

The purpose of higher wattage is not for loud hearing but for less distortion at low volumes.

@ISO: Did you buy Yamaha N602? The price in Pune is a shade under 40K.

I have not yet got a chance to experience in person, but it seems to have a lot of features.

@ISO: Did you buy Yamaha N602? The price in Pune is a shade under 40K.

I have not yet got a chance to experience in person, but it seems to have a lot of features.

Really? Where in Pune?

AVxcellence Dhole Patil Road quoted 45K for the same.

Actually I'm in Bahrain and trying to find cheaper deal here.

Just back after demo session -
Yamaha N602 and Marantz PM5005

Speakers- Zensor 3 and 5 both.

The front USB on N602 does not seem to be good enough for flac files.
When played through a BD player, the flac songs sounded better.
Same BD player was used with Marantz.
Yamaha appears to be sharper/ brighter than Marantz, but there is barely any difference.
In terms of the extra power it has, well I did not find the Marantz to be underpowered - it was loud enough to get deaf.
My wife got a headache after 20-30 minutes of the demo session.

The Zensor 5 sound better (since it has better base), but the extra 20000 Rs. is still difficult to justify (for me).
The Yamaha has a lot of extra features like Internet radio, FM etc. which seem to be interesting. Not all radio stations are allowed in India, btw.

From experience ; if wife got headaches listening any of the amps, just DISCARD those amps from checklist.

Believe me your better half is bestowed with more sensitive ears than yours.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

It could be the speakers also, not necessarily the amp. Pairing it with proper speakers could be the trick.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

From experience ; if wife got headaches listening any of the amps, just DISCARD those amps from checklist.

Believe me your better half is bestowed with more sensitive ears than yours.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Agree fully! Fortunately, I am also able to take my wife on some auditions. After first few auditions, she turned out to be a pro in listening for stuff and her sensitivity to nuances is so much better than many people I know who are into the hobby. But she lacks the patience and focus after some auditions. It is like she is gifted and she does not give a damn about it ;)

Thanks for the update.

Yamaha appears to be sharper/ brighter than Marantz, but there is barely any difference.

This proves Yamaha is almost equal. I believe Marantz was connected through analog output of the BD player. In that case internal DAC of BD player will decide quality. Hence we can give benefit of doubt to Marantz.

In my demo also Yamaha gave very clean HF output.

Thanks for the update.

This proves Yamaha is almost equal. I believe Marantz was connected through analog output of the BD player. In that case internal DAC of BD player will decide quality. Hence we can give benefit of doubt to Marantz.

In my demo also Yamaha gave very clean HF output.

Yes. But I would prefer to go with Marantz and save the money. I can arrange for the missing features through my Raspberry Pi (and some DAC such as Modi Uber)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back