Is your collection catalogued on Discogs?

Here's my collection, Sushant. 40 records were inherited, the rest are mine :)

Jayant, wow, that's a beautifully curated collection you have made. Congratulations. Those Mobley, Morgan and Donaldsons you have are sky rocketing in prices. And I have only gone through half of your collection so far. Will do leisurely. Thanks for sharing.

Jayant, wow, that's a beautifully curated collection you have made. Congratulations. Those Mobley, Morgan and Donaldsons you have are sky rocketing in prices. And I have only gone through half of your collection so far. Will do leisurely. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Sushant! Honestly these prices are purely notional for me. I don't see myself ever selling my records and if God forbid, I need to part with them for any reason, I'll gift them to someone like minded.

Thanks Sushant! Honestly these prices are purely notional for me. I don't see myself ever selling my records and if God forbid, I need to part with them for any reason, I'll gift them to someone like minded.
Totally with you about not parting with the records. I meant the prices from the perspective of a buyer who wants to add them :)

Started with discogs , but it's too cumbersome. Have been cataloging in excel recently
Discogs is extremely convenient. If your record/CD has a barcode, you can simply scan it. However, I use the matrix in the LP run out area for more accurate cataloguing. It gives me the country, plant and year of the album pressing I have and hence its value also. Plus you can download your collection in .csv format. I'll look up CLZ anyway.

If you're particular Album or title does not show in discogs, you can also manually enter the details yourself.

Thanks! You're welcome home any time
Thanks, Jayant.
We should seriously plan for a B’lore jazz meet early next year. Will start a thread on that topic soon.

And thanks to @thedude I’ve got the CLZ Music app on my phone and ipad. Entering via barcode is a breeze. Though I’ll still maintain that word doc, for old time’s sake :)

Please elaborate on that.
Thanks
So the matrix is a series of alphanumeric codes that you will see at the end of an LP. Depending on what that code is, it can be traced to its origin. A first pressing will have a certain coding and be of higher value. A stereo/mono pressing will have another coding. The plant at which a first pressing, whether stereo or mono, in a particular country will have its own code. For example, The Beatles were released on Parlophone in the UK, but on Capitol in the US before they formed their own record company, Apple Records in 1968 (For Sale Catalogue and country snapshot). If you the see the screenshot (Beatles Top and Bottom) which has the two Beatles albums on top and bottom, you will discern that the "For Sale" LP is pressed in Japan, 1976 and issued by Apple, (Rohit For Sale and For Sale Matrices) so has to be a reissue. The Help! album is released on Capitol, hence a US pressing and issued in 1965.

In the same album in different countries and/or different years of releases there tend to be be subtle and obvious differences. There might be additions/omissions to the liner notes, credits, track listing etc. See the Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus LP valuation a first pressing in mono issued by Prestige is worth over 1800 Euro and I own a Japanese pressing in mono on Prestige which is worth about 50 Euro and another pressing of the same that is worth next to nothing because it was pressed using a digital source. The pictures attached are named accordingly. Hope they are uploaded that way.

Depending on the origin, pressing AND condition of sleeve and media, etc etc etc., the suggested valuation is arrived at by the last highest/median/lowest price it was sold at, thus helping you to value your collection.

See the Bill Evans pic for how a matrix number looks like. I think someone had posted a wonderful article on the forum on how different labels write these numbers. I'll try and post that link here. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• For Sale Catalogue and Country.png
    For Sale Catalogue and Country.png
    818.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Bestles top and bottom.png
    Bestles top and bottom.png
    943.2 KB · Views: 7
  • For Sale Matrices.png
    For Sale Matrices.png
    851.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Rohit For Sale.png
    Rohit For Sale.png
    794.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Rollins Prestige Mono.png
    Rollins Prestige Mono.png
    800 KB · Views: 3
  • Rollins 1st pressing RVG.png
    Rollins 1st pressing RVG.png
    584.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Rollins Catalogue Country.png
    Rollins Catalogue Country.png
    671.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Rohit Rollins.png
    Rohit Rollins.png
    785.5 KB · Views: 2
  • billevanshimhall-undercurrent-runout-1600.jpeg
    billevanshimhall-undercurrent-runout-1600.jpeg
    606 KB · Views: 7
Discogs is extremely convenient. If your record/CD has a barcode, you can simply scan it. However, I use the matrix in the LP run out area for more accurate cataloguing. It gives me the country, plant and year of the album pressing I have and hence its value also. Plus you can download your collection in .csv format. I'll look up CLZ anyway.

I did that for LPs , for CDs since the quantity is higher its very difficult. However do intend to do that slowly and steadily as its easier to track and catalogue that way.

I did that for LPs , for CDs since the quantity is higher its very difficult. However do intend to do that slowly and steadily as its easier to track and catalogue that way.
I had the reverse experience. For LP's you have to enter the catalog number manually, but for CD's the barcode scanner on the mobile app makes it extremely easy and quick

I had the reverse experience. For LP's you have to enter the catalog number manually, but for CD's the barcode scanner on the mobile app makes it extremely easy and quick

There is a mobile app ? Silly me , I was still thinking how you guys were scanning the barcode lol. Giving it a go right away

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back