Issue playing Dolby Vision formats.

When I open plex server it goes to the Ip address starting with 127.0.0.1 on my laptop. Firestick Ip address and one which I get in cmd is 192.168.1.x
Global Ip address when I googled -117.193. 32.xxx
Sorry I'm new to all these
most probably ur internet service provider will be natting your traffic which is basically assigning a single global public ipv4 address to its 30-50 customers and it will change periodically. all these things doesn't matter if u are using ur plex server locally just check your computers ipv4 address by going to command prompt and type:ipconfig and there u can see the ipv4 address if u search from plex app in any media streaming stick if it is in local it will automatically detect and work and also open your router and bind your mac address to the ip of your computer to avoid changing ip of your computer assigned thus ensures ip will remain unchanged for the server

I don't think there's such an option. You can copy paste to your network drive and then play it via VLC/Plex on firestick.

You can use a third party client to do it as well or create a DLNA/SMB share from your phone. But both of these are not seamless.

The best option is to have a common storage in your home which can be accessed over the network. That's what I do, and have it for my Plex library too. Putting anything on there will be accessible from VLC/Plex/file explorers.
Yes but specifically for casting videos from mobile directly I am assuming there is no other way? I tried multiple dlna servers apps from playstore on my mobile none of them worked properly.The other day one of friends wanted to cast his post wedding video we were unable to do so.

To have a common storage I guess I'll have to invest on a nas? Or do we have any other option. How much will it cost. As of now in use my old 1tb laptop as a Plex server. Can I make my old laptop work as a network storage device?

Yes but specifically for casting videos from mobile directly I am assuming there is no other way? I tried multiple dlna servers apps from playstore on my mobile none of them worked properly.The other day one of friends wanted to cast his post wedding video we were unable to do so.

To have a common storage I guess I'll have to invest on a nas? Or do we have any other option. How much will it cost. As of now in use my old 1tb laptop as a Plex server. Can I make my old laptop work as a network storage device?
Yes, you can use your laptop as a network storage device. Right click on storage/folder you want to share, go to properties, go into sharing option and turn it on. You got SMB share working now.

Now you just need to search for the SMB share from your laptop, usually by the local IP address.

Yes, you can use your laptop as a network storage device. Right click on storage/folder you want to share, go to properties, go into sharing option and turn it on. You got SMB share working now.

Now you just need to search for the SMB share from your laptop, usually by the local IP address.
Thanx a ton will try it out. Can we access the shared folder and transfer content from mobile to it wirelessly? Any specific file manager app that is required in the phone?

Thanx a ton will try it out. Can we access the shared folder and transfer content from mobile to it wirelessly? Any specific file manager app that is required in the phone?
Yes you can. Most file managers will work. I use CX file explorer, but that's not a requirement as it's a standard protocol.

Also you can access and play the files directly from VLC as well.

As we are discussing Dolby Vision here, add Sexy Beasts to your watchlist.
Shot on 4k Sony Venice cameras and mastered in Dolby Vision.
Should be a good screen test for 4k and HDR capability.

This means that my router has an IP of 192.168.0.1 (yours should have 192.168.1.1 or something like that) and my PC has a local IP of 192.168.0.100.

Also, please try getting the global IP address of your firestick. Try to open a browser in firestick and google 'my IP address' from that.
On my pc, cmd showing
Default gateway - 192.168.1.1
Ip4- 192.168.1.39

On firestick browser, Ip address showing as 117.193.40.163

On my pc, cmd showing
Default gateway - 192.168.1.1
Ip4- 192.168.1.39

On firestick browser, Ip address showing as 117.193.40.163
So both the firestick and PC are on the same network. This is good.

Since your connection only gets interrupted when internet goes down, please check if your firestick or PC don't switch to another network when internet goes down. For example, your phone hotspot or something else. This will cause them to be on different networks and hence Plex won't be able to connect.

So both the firestick and PC are on the same network. This is good.

Since your connection only gets interrupted when internet goes down, please check if your firestick or PC don't switch to another network when internet goes down. For example, your phone hotspot or something else. This will cause them to be on different networks and hence Plex won't be able to connect.
Switching to another networks not happening. As long as there's no Internet, plex on firestick shows server currently unavailable and retry connection. On my pc after adding 127.0.0.1/subnet to list of ip addresses under network settings of. PMS im able access the server webpage. But on firestick still the same thing.

I don't think there's such an option. You can copy paste to your network drive and then play it via VLC/Plex on firestick.

You can use a third party client to do it as well or create a DLNA/SMB share from your phone. But both of these are not seamless.

The best option is to have a common storage in your home which can be accessed over the network. That's what I do, and have it for my Plex library too. Putting anything on there will be accessible from VLC/Plex/file explorers.
my friend planning to buy 32inch fhd tv for bedroom,realme is only tv coming with fhd,but in digit review he said hdr looks bad ,can we off hdr option manually?

my friend planning to buy 32inch fhd tv for bedroom,realme is only tv coming with fhd,but in digit review he said hdr looks bad ,can we off hdr option manually?
If the TV isn't HDR capable, it will just get SDR video from streaming apps and not the HDR version. If you play local content, it will be tonemapped depending on the video player.

I have been stymied on this. Then, I discovered if I used Infuse and played through the Apple TV 4k then all of the DV files played just fine.

Plex subscription will enable you to do hardware transcoding via GPU.
Oh ok. Thanks. Without the Plex subscription, I guess the transcoding will happen in s/w. If I am not going to stream multiple videos at the same time and not going to be using the PC for any other work (while streaming is on), I guess h/w transcoding may not be needed. Will have to try it out though.

Oh ok. Thanks. Without the Plex subscription, I guess the transcoding will happen in s/w.
Yes, you got it right...

I guess h/w transcoding may not be needed.
If transcoding is taking place, h/w transcoding does make the difference. S/w transcoding is very inefficient and will console 100 of the CPU cycle.

One ques - does the basic Plex server serves the purpose for movie/audio streaming or getting Plex Pass subscription is needed?
Depends on how much into the Plex ecosystem you want to get in:

1. Hardware transcoding as @OM_2K19 already mentioned. If you have a recent Nvidia GPU, this will allow you many streams at once, especially if you're transcoding a 4k HDR movie/TV show. Otherwise, it will be done on your CPU via software transcode. That's fine if you have an 8+ core modern CPU, but if you're using a NAS with a Celeron inside, hardware transcoding is the only way to go as it will use quicksync on Intel systems.

2. Dashboard: You'll be able to monitor your server from your phone or other devices with the Dash app. This may or may not be useful for you depending on how many folks use it.

3. Android/iOS app support: The free version doesn't allow you to view stuff on android and iOS smartphones. If you buy Plex Pass or buy the phone only plan, that will be unlocked.

3. Downloads: You'll be able to download the show for viewing later on your phone. I use it when I go on trips to watch my backlog.

4. Skip intro: Automatically parses the file and has a Netflix/Prime-esque feature to skip the intro of any show.

5. PlexAmp: App for streaming your own high-res music collection. Supports every format you throw at it and it will bitstream to any capable client device.

6. HDR tone mapping: Will tone-map your HDR content to view on older devices with SDR only support.

There are also some other features like advanced sharing, trailers, DVR etc but I've not used them much. May be useful for you.

I bought the lifetime Plex Pass last year for about equivalent to $80. Definitely worth it if you do or plan to have a sizable self-media collection. And it's not just pirated content either, I also share my photos and videos from functions/trips I've attended in past over Plex.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back