Issue with Samsung LED - Next purchase LED vs PROJECTOR?

madhurkishore

Hi,

It has been 5 years with my Samsung 40" LED UA40D5500 when all of a sudden the tv started turning on and off automatically. Tried all the online stuff of turning off Eco mode and sleep timer, but nothing worked. The Samsung Service centre guy says that there seems to be some issue with the motherboard and if it is not available (considering this is an old model now), Samsung will refund a small amount to me and the TV is of no use. :sad:

Now my questions are a bit pointed-
1. Has anyone else faced such issues with Samsung LEDs? Was the resolution same as what is mentioned above?

2. What is the average life of a Full HD LED TV which is being used for TV as well as connecting with the Laptop to watch movies via Apple TV?

3. In case I need to purchase a new TV, should I opt for a LED or a Plasma or a Projector? I'm planning to move to the 3D zone of displays this time instead of going just with FULL HD. Which out of the above three options has maximum Lifetime and is budget friendly in long run as well (Considering LED lamps can be replaced- not really sure about their costs)

4. Are there any suggestions for models for 3D projectors/ 3D LEDs, etc? My budget is somewhere around 70-80k. Can stretch, but wouldn't want to, looking at the previous experience, where a TV could not stretch itself for more than 5 years

5. Considering my home theatre space ain't very dark, is it ok to go with projectors? I have read online that projectors with higher Lumens are good to go for such cases

6. Any specific AV showrooms in Delhi which can provide demos of 3D Projectors? Honestly, I have never seen a demo of a 3D projector.

Appreciate the help!

I am currently facing the issue with my 32d5000 series. However I've given up on Samsung and watch TV whenever it starts:eek:hyeah: Already replaced Motherboard and Power Supply unit when it was 1Year and 2 months. That time also it was the same issue. So I generally stay away from Samsung products. As far as electronics are concerned there is no guarantee about its working once the warranty is over. Buying a projector can be sensible enough but then it has drawbacks such as it requires A Dark room, bulb replacement after certain time period has passed(number of hours). However seeing some new brands or lesser known like vu, toshiba, Videocon, Infocus, etc coming with cheaper products and offering warranty for 3 years, I feel it's better to go in for these as the pinch you feel incase it stops working will be lesser than that you may currently face with bigger brands. I recently got a vu 32 inch for dads office and being used everyday for 10Hours per day for CCTV monitoring. No issues so far. Got it in December for 11500/- from flipkart during some deals and cashback from ICICI bank. Overall I'm satisfied with it and plan on extending it's warranty cover by 2 years extra(total 3) as it came with 1 year warranty only.
Currently also having the LG 47LM6700 3D TV and find 3d pretty much useless, as very less content is available.
However nothing wrong if it's coming with the TV. Only that you can save some extra money by opting for lower models. Being in Delhi finding service for these lesser known brands should not be a task. My suggestion would definitely be to opt for a projector if you need a large screen and will be watching movies and are ready to spend some amount after some time for replacement of projector bulb. Also side by side you can invest in a 32incher TV for just casual TV soaps, etc if budget permits.

I am currently facing the issue with my 32d5000 series. However I've given up on Samsung and watch TV whenever it starts:eek:hyeah: Already replaced Motherboard and Power Supply unit when it was 1Year and 2 months. That time also it was the same issue. So I generally stay away from Samsung products. As far as electronics are concerned there is no guarantee about its working once the warranty is over. Buying a projector can be sensible enough but then it has drawbacks such as it requires A Dark room, bulb replacement after certain time period has passed(number of hours). However seeing some new brands or lesser known like vu, toshiba, Videocon, Infocus, etc coming with cheaper products and offering warranty for 3 years, I feel it's better to go in for these as the pinch you feel incase it stops working will be lesser than that you may currently face with bigger brands. I recently got a vu 32 inch for dads office and being used everyday for 10Hours per day for CCTV monitoring. No issues so far. Got it in December for 11500/- from flipkart during some deals and cashback from ICICI bank. Overall I'm satisfied with it and plan on extending it's warranty cover by 2 years extra(total 3) as it came with 1 year warranty only.
Currently also having the LG 47LM6700 3D TV and find 3d pretty much useless, as very less content is available.
However nothing wrong if it's coming with the TV. Only that you can save some extra money by opting for lower models. Being in Delhi finding service for these lesser known brands should not be a task. My suggestion would definitely be to opt for a projector if you need a large screen and will be watching movies and are ready to spend some amount after some time for replacement of projector bulb. Also side by side you can invest in a 32incher TV for just casual TV soaps, etc if budget permits.

I'm exploring the option of buying a decent quality TV (Vu/Micromax) Even the 40" ones come as cheap as 25k and the reviews are pretty good all over. Along with this, thinking of spending a bit of moolah on a 3D projector (Is a 3D one worth it or more of a gimmick). I'm not much concerned about the 3D content coz I can easily download 3D movies and view them. My Home Theatre system also supports 3D and shouldn't be a problem.

However I'm unable to find much of set up images online wherein a TV and projector have been set up as a part of Home Theatre system together. I can use the projector majorly for watching movies while TV can be used for regular TV content like soaps, etc.

P.S. Projectors with higher lumens do not have problems of keeping a dark room. However, I have read that the Projection room should be Air Conditioned. Is that mandatory?

2. What is the average life of a Full HD LED TV which is being used for TV as well as connecting with the Laptop to watch movies via Apple TV?

Average life of any modern TV is 1 hour to 10 years. You just get covered till warranty period. That's it

5. Considering my home theatre space ain't very dark, is it ok to go with projectors? I have read online that projectors with higher Lumens are good to go for such cases

Full time projector as an only main display is strictly no no. There are practical difficulties unless you have dedicated cinema room.

I'm exploring the option of buying a decent quality TV (Vu/Micromax) Even the 40" ones come as cheap as 25k and the reviews are pretty good all over. Along with this, thinking of spending a bit of moolah on a 3D projector (Is a 3D one worth it or more of a gimmick). I'm not much concerned about the 3D content coz I can easily download 3D movies and view them. My Home Theatre system also supports 3D and shouldn't be a problem.

However I'm unable to find much of set up images online wherein a TV and projector have been set up as a part of Home Theatre system together. I can use the projector majorly for watching movies while TV can be used for regular TV content like soaps, etc.

P.S. Projectors with higher lumens do not have problems of keeping a dark room. However, I have read that the Projection room should be Air Conditioned. Is that mandatory?

Why 40"? Go bigger. Get a 50"-55" if your room allows it. A Full HD LED panel should do good. Nothing compares to the Plasma, however, I feel the latest LEDs are quite good now, performance and efficiency wise.

Regarding Projector, get the best your pocket can afford. A simple HDMI splitter connected to the receiver's HDMI out should be able to easily split the signal for TV and Projector. I dont think the newer Projector models require an air-conditioned room, newer LED projectors might not even need a ceiling fan, however, you might.:D

MaSh

Hi

A projector for daily use of watching channels is not practical.

You have lost faith in Samsung already. So I second the suggestions from other FMs.

Go for brands like VU, Infocus. Please don't buy a micromax.

A thing to note though. All TVs specially the ones that make up the lower and midrange of any company's product portfolio are mass produced and have almost same specs.
So it's better to go with new companies on the block like VU, Infocus.

Than There is "Planned obsolescence".

They willingly and knowingly withdraw support of old products, so we are focred to buy a new product although a little spare part or upgrade could have extended the life of product.

Or better still they knowingly design a product with a calculated lifespan. Complete a couple of years and go Kaput my dear.

Some capitalism eh ?

-upgrading to projectors is a good option , if its your secondary display
-3D projectors ( with a little more ) are available in BenQ
-if the HT room is dedicated , is can also be made dark with black-out curtains

Wow ! The responses on this forum never cease to amaze me. Thanks a ton guys for pitching in with your much valued Gyan and helping out. So now,

1. Projector would be a secondary display only for watching movies connected through my Apple TV or on the Tata Sky HD channels. AC is not amandatory thing for projectors these dyas. But I believe it would definitely be better to check for this before purchase. Yayy !

2. For regular Television, a 40" - 42" Full HD TV should work. I've a rented accommodation wherein area for TV has been separately designated. however this ain't a separate room. Also, not sure how much space can I designate in my future homes for this so going for a much bigger screen does not suit well. I'd rather spend that amount in the projector budget.

3. Considering the positioning of the HT system stays intact, can I make some sort of an arrangement that the Projector projects on the screen on the same wall in front of which the TV is positioned?

Hi

You have lost faith in Samsung already. So I second the suggestions from other FMs.

Go for brands like VU, Infocus. Please don't buy a micromax.

Any specific reasons for not going on with Micromax? I'm not keen on the brand but reviews also looked fine. How does Vu and Infocus fare in terms of quality and after sales service when compared to Micromax?

There is always a pinch in heart when I go for lesser known brands (or rather I should say Indian brands) fearing on their performance. But Samsung hasn't done me any good either. :lol:

3. Considering the positioning of the HT system stays intact, can I make some sort of an arrangement that the Projector projects on the screen on the same wall in front of which the TV is positioned?

Do you mean on the wall opposite tv or behind tv? Anyways you can always make any arrangement provide you have proper equipments. e.g cables / splitters/ screen etc.
Definitely there will be some guidelines of getting accurate images, but ultimately if you are happy with the image out of your own arrangements (jugad), you are rewarded.

1.When the company ditches you saying that spare parts are not available i take the local route-tap the neighborhood repair shop before giving up on the model as sometimes they get the parts from local electronics markets. Sometimes it works very well. I had extended the life of my Videocon CRT by about 4 years till now by this way(it is 16.5 years till now with excellent picture for CRT/SD).
2. Pl call the service centre before u buy any model of a brand and just ask which models are doing well. i have tried it and many times the service centre people guide which model is less trouble some.Of course this model may not be to your liking as you would have made your choice based on price/spec matrix.

Do you mean on the wall opposite tv or behind tv? Anyways you can always make any arrangement provide you have proper equipments. e.g cables / splitters/ screen etc.
Definitely there will be some guidelines of getting accurate images, but ultimately if you are happy with the image out of your own arrangements (jugad), you are rewarded.

I mean the wall right behind the TV. I think there needs to be some sort of a L Bracket that I would have to get created from a local carpenter or so.

1.When the company ditches you saying that spare parts are not available i take the local route-tap the neighborhood repair shop before giving up on the model as sometimes they get the parts from local electronics markets. Sometimes it works very well. I had extended the life of my Videocon CRT by about 4 years till now by this way(it is 16.5 years till now with excellent picture for CRT/SD).
2. Pl call the service centre before u buy any model of a brand and just ask which models are doing well. i have tried it and many times the service centre people guide which model is less trouble some.Of course this model may not be to your liking as you would have made your choice based on price/spec matrix.

As per the Samsung repair person, the company reimburses some x amount and takes the TV in such a case. Not really sure if giving it to a local repair shop is a good idea or not. Let Samsung return on the status and see then.

The Service Centre idea is pretty neat. Will try that for sure.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back