iTunes help??

Raghav

iTunes help in Mac OS??

I am using the latest iTunes version and have around 10000 songs in the library. All of these are currently ripped in mp3 format and occupy 40gb of space on my macbook.

Now I want to keep a copy of these songs on an External HDD in lossless format. For this first I was able to create a new iTunes library in my external HDD and can rip the songs again. No issues. The problem comes that i always let iTunes manage the music folder for me. I have to keep changing the location of the folder in iTunes preferences depending on whether I am using the lossy library or the lossless library.

Is there a way that I can define different music folders for the two libraries? Also can the ripping settings be different for the 2 libraries?

Right now whenever I buy a new CD, I first open the lossless library. check whether the music folder is set to ext hdd and import settings are lossless. then Import the CD. Second, I shut iTunes and reopen the lossy library. Now I have to change the music folder location as well as the import settings. Then I import the album again. This is very irritating and prone to error. Please suggest way around.

Thanx in advance.

Last edited:
Raghav - is there a reason why you continue to use iTunes? I would suggest foobar or if you want a richer user interface - Musicbee or MediaMonkey.

About iTunes, I feel that is the only way possible for what you are saying. I guess you are a brave man too letting iTunes manage your music. I would never be able to let it do that :). Blame it on my morbid fear of innately intelligent software!

Raghav - is there a reason why you continue to use iTunes? I would suggest foobar or if you want a richer user interface - Musicbee or MediaMonkey.

hi the vortex,

what are the things about foobar you like? so i can get an idea of how its capabilities. thanks!

Seamless integration with iPod and iTunes store (which i need for iPod Touch apps) are a must. Also I like the smart playlist feature very much in iTunes. All my playlists are smart and they help me choose which songs to transfer to my iPod (space is limited to 16gb only).

Also, I am a little skeptical in shifting my music storage. Previously, I dreaded to allow iTunes liberty to transfer 10000 songs as it feels like. Then after a lot of consideration, I finally moved to this system. Also I always have a backup of all songs, if iTunes messes up ever.

I have thinking about my problem. I have another idea. what if I create another username, instead of another library. iTunes under this user will define its media folder as the ext HDD and import only in lossless formats.

The regular username will continue the lossy imports and old media folder to playback when needed from the macbook. this way i only have to swtich users and not change the settings at all. Have i missed something or this is feasible. Even if it works, i am only 90% satisfied with the arrangement.

About iTunes, I feel that is the only way possible for what you are saying. I guess you are a brave man too letting iTunes manage your music. I would never be able to let it do that :). Blame it on my morbid fear of innately intelligent software!

Seamless integration with iPod and iTunes store (which i need for iPod Touch apps) are a must. Also I like the smart playlist feature very much in iTunes. All my playlists are smart and they help me choose which songs to transfer to my iPod (space is limited to 16gb only).

Also, I am a little skeptical in shifting my music storage. Previously, I dreaded to allow iTunes liberty to transfer 10000 songs as it feels like. Then after a lot of consideration, I finally moved to this system. Also I always have a backup of all songs, if iTunes messes up ever.

I have thinking about my problem. I have another idea. what if I create another username, instead of another library. iTunes under this user will define its media folder as the ext HDD and import only in lossless formats.

The regular username will continue the lossy imports and old media folder to playback when needed from the macbook. this way i only have to swtich users and not change the settings at all. Have i missed something or this is feasible. Even if it works, i am only 90% satisfied with the arrangement.

I think you missed my previous post in this thread. Anyway, here is what you need to do:

1. Create a library in iTunes and add all your lossy songs to it.

2. Quit iTunes.

3. Keep the shift key pressed and launch iTunes again. Keep the shift key pressed until you get a dialog asking you to choose or create a library. Choose to create a new library.

4. Add all your lossless songs to this new library.

Now, everytime you launch iTunes, just keep the shift key pressed and choose the library that you want to open.

Let us know how it goes.

I have already tried this. It does not work. you can create two libraries but the problem lies in the settings.

My Issue:
You cannot have different import settings and media folder locations for the 2 libraries. iTunes has only one setting, which I will have to keep changing every time i switch to the other library.

I think you missed my previous post in this thread. Anyway, here is what you need to do:

1. Create a library in iTunes and add all your lossy songs to it.

2. Quit iTunes.

3. Keep the shift key pressed and launch iTunes again. Keep the shift key pressed until you get a dialog asking you to choose or create a library. Choose to create a new library.

4. Add all your lossless songs to this new library.

Now, everytime you launch iTunes, just keep the shift key pressed and choose the library that you want to open.

Let us know how it goes.

I have already tried this. It does not work. you can create two libraries but the problem lies in the settings.

My Issue:
You cannot have different import settings and media folder locations for the 2 libraries. iTunes has only one setting, which I will have to keep changing every time i switch to the other library.

Not sure about the media settings but I think you can have two different folders for two libraries.

you have to manually change the media folder everytime to switch between the library. You have to do this everytime b4 you rip a CD.

Not sure about the media settings but I think you can have two different folders for two libraries.

The media players that I suggested will do all of what you need. Only if you are hooked to the iTunes store would you see the need to use the bloated iTunes.

Nowadays smart playlists are pretty much a basic necessity in media players.

hi the vortex,

what are the things about foobar you like? so i can get an idea of how its capabilities. thanks!

Stevie, hmm..the things that I like about foobar are too many to list :). Configured with all your favourite plugins it is among the top audio players on the PC. Do let me know if you have any specific questions. The downside of foobar is its interface. But if you take the time, you can come up gems of interfaces. I am lazy and so stick with the lame but neat interface that it comes with. However I use various plugins and extract the maximum out of the Album List of foobar.

It truly is the Firefox of audio players. Meant in a good way. Not in terms of consuming resources.

If you want a player that works equally as well but consumes lesser resources then try xmplay. This only loses out when it comes to the media library functions. Hope this helps.

+1 to that.foobar being infinitely customisable is awesome to use,just that the learning curve is a bit steep.inspite of itunes being bit perfect,the inability to bypass the k-mixer in windows as well as being the resource hog helped me choose in favour of foobar.use it with the wasapi/asio plugin and ur set for good,clean sound.cheers

you have to manually change the media folder everytime to switch between the library. You have to do this everytime b4 you rip a CD.

But you'll be changing settings in iTunes for lossless ripping only if you are ripping in ALAC format. And I don't think you are going to do that since ALAC is not compatible with a vast majority of players. So may be this is not an issue after all. Just airing my thoughts.

I will be ripping my CDs 2 times: once in mp3 form into the lossy library and once in wav/alac/aiff for the lossless library.

But you'll be changing settings in iTunes for lossless ripping only if you are ripping in ALAC format. And I don't think you are going to do that since ALAC is not compatible with a vast majority of players. So may be this is not an issue after all. Just airing my thoughts.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back