iTunes vs CDs

Does giving input from Stereo-in bypass the DAC? Then I can use it, if I get a DAC which is better than the in-built Yamaha RXV475 DAC.

Yes, analog inputs into AVR bypasses its DAC. Set the mode to 'Direct'.
Most entry level dedicated DACs sound better than an entry level AVR. You need to tell a budget, accordingly you will get suggestions.

Thanks Santy..

Nikhil suggested Audioquest Dragonfly which in India costs 19k.. I guess that is my max budget for a DAC..

I think it should cost less than that. But if it is 19k, then I will be tempted to look at some other option available locally, like Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus by saving up some more.

It is much more versatile- multiple inputs, balanced out, preamp, bluetooth, headphone amp, digital filters etc..
In case of imports, you are paying a lot more for shipping, customs etc. while DACmagic is available locally at almost US prices.

Thanks Santy..

Nikhil suggested Audioquest Dragonfly which in India costs 19k.. I guess that is my max budget for a DAC..

19K is too much for the Dragonfly. The Amazon link I had given listed it at $100 which should cost you approx Rs 9K landed.

The CA Dacmagic Plus is a very nice option as well.

19K is too much for the Dragonfly. The Amazon link I had given listed it at $100 which should cost you approx Rs 9K landed.

The CA Dacmagic Plus is a very nice option as well.

Amazon is not shipping Dragonfly to India. An Indian shopping website Technoguru is selling this for 19k. Even Ebay global is not showing this for global shipping.

Thanks Santy..

Fiio is a good alternative to dragon fly. Indian price is almost close to us price. Compare reviews of dragon fly and fiio. You'll be convinced with that. If you are ready up to 20k then skip both these. If you want something within 10k then consider these two brands.

Dragonfly uses 24 bit ESS Sabre DAC, whereas my Yamaha RX V475 has 24 bit Burr Brown DAC..
To all audiotechies, does this really justify making investment of another 10k... Will the sound be really different from AVR?

Dragonfly uses 24 bit ESS Sabre DAC, whereas my Yamaha RX V475 has 24 bit Burr Brown DAC..
To all audiotechies, does this really justify making investment of another 10k... Will the sound be really different from AVR?

Only your ear and budget can answer that for you.

In audio (as with all things high end) the ROI decreases as you go up the ladder...

I would caution against "fill in the gap" purchases or even purchases that give you the "bump" to make you feel better... even incrementally.

In other words have a game plan. Decide what kind of setup you want to end up with 1 year, 5 years and 10 years down the line. Once I made that decision (and it was a PC based setup for me) that also decided the direction of all my purchases.

I've spent on an Apple rig, Amarra player, etc. and even the DAC upgrade is based more on how it integrates and plays with a PC based setup (I'm probably getting Wyred 4 Sound), but its not based on how it sounds as a standalone device.

So in other words, have a gameplan and let that decide your upgrade path. Simply buying individual components will only give you short term buyers joy and long term buyers remorse and something I don't advocate.

PS - If the Yammy sounds good then stick with it. I've not heard your particular model, and truth be told I'm an Onkyo fanboy, but I've personally recommended and helped buy the award winning Yamaha RX-V673 & Yamaha RX-V675 for a couple of friends. I personally like these 2 models for their sound especially across all genres of movies and if they perform even decently good for music then its highly unlikely a 10K or even a 20K DAC will upstage them.

I've already mentioned that on this side of 50K the Asus Xonar series will hold its own against most DACs... at least the main branded ones I've heard.

Do take a look at Audio GD DACs. Their entry level DACs are very reasonable - and it has a very high quality volume control and "no feedback" preamp section too. I think very few DACs (and especially DACs with volume control) match this at this price band. Plus, Audio GD, even in entry level price range, uses separate DAC chips for each channel.

Then again, I haven't listened to all these other options so I should not be making this statement :)

But I do indeed have an Audio GD DAC that I use as a preamp and DAC and the sound quality is very good. In my case, it was also a significant upgrade over my previous Emotiva preamp.

Another advantage of this company is that they will ship the DAC direct to your home (with extra shipping charge of course), but it still works well because you are not paying the middle charges. Usually, there are no import hassles as well as the boxes are small and cheap enough to not attract too much attention.

ssm30 you don't need a DAC at the moment if your AVR has a DAC (most do).

Nikhil, for my learning, very keen to know about AVRs without DAC inside. Any pointers?

Your AVR's DAC is better than what your onboard sound card offers, but not the best. You have to pay attention to what one might define as 'best', as suggested previously DACs can cost upwards of lakhs for some with the right ear and money.
Dragonfly is a great option if you can get it for less, if not there are others, Fiio is a very good option within reach. Even an USB sound card like Asus U3 will improve the sound noticeably for you.
If you wish to use the AVR DAC then you will need to get digital / optical out of your PC to the AVR, the laptop probably does not offer digital out other than HDMI.
Use Foobar with the WASAPI plug in if you are not doing so already.

Most often there is no need to spend a ton of money, but if you can afford then do chose the better of two options as this is most likely to save you some money in future, because you will want to upgrade later in search of 'better' sound quality. :)

Nikhil, for my learning, very keen to know about AVRs without DAC inside. Any pointers?

Santy where did you pull that out from?
I was telling the OP that he need not go for a DAC at the moment if he his happy with the DAC in his AVR.

Thanks Nikhil

I am on Windows OS and as said by you, i downloaded Foobar.. Amazed... WoW.. What a difference between Windows Media Player and Foobar...

ssm30, another "tweak" is the Fidelizer tool that optimizes your PC while playing music. You can use it together with Foobar.
Some folks report noticeable difference while some don't. It's free so try it out and see if it makes a difference.

Fidelizer - Instantly computer audiophile workstationWindows X's Live

(Scroll to the bottom for the download link)

Hi Guys,

Im new to computer music, recently moved from CD player. I do use a DAC from Burson Audio. Could you please advise how I can get 320 KBPS from iTunes because almost all the albums I have downloaded from iTunes are 256 KBPS.

Thanks,
Sunder.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back