Jaguar Audio Design

manniraj

A Linux based OS exclusively for audio playback. Check it out here, looks interesting but compatibility with USB DACs is not yet proven.

Another one! :D

Like Audiophile Linux, it uses Jack, and also uses qjackctl. KXStudio's Cadence tools are far easier and clearer to use.

KXStudio.

I doubt that it sounds any worse for the absence of the word audiophile. :)

Like Audiophile Linux, it uses Jack, and also uses qjackctl. KXStudio's Cadence tools are far easier and clearer to use.

KXStudio.

My name is Darin and I'm the developer of the Jaguar RTOS. Yes, Audiophile Linux uses the same server, JACK. There would be no difference in sound, JACK is the best sounding and state-of-the-art option for Linux audio at this time. The user experience between the two is quite different as Audiophile is geared toward several types of multimedia and Jaguar designed is just for playing music files.

It is not the case that Cadence is easier or clearer. Cadence is a full suite of audio production tools and Jaguar is a simple iTunes-style music playing OS and nothing else. It's made for the audiophile who knows nothing about Linux (or doesn't want to go to the work of creating a custom kernel and other setup) and just wants higher quality sound.

compatibility with USB DACs is not yet proven.

Actually compatibility with Linux and USB DACs is relatively straightforward. If your DAC requires the installation of a special driver on your Mac or PC it probably doesn't work with Linux. Most soundcards are Linux compatible.

Jaguar, Welcome! Good to have your experience here.

We all have our favourite flavours of this that or the other, and, with its wealth of choice, Linux is a great pool of that. Choice is good.

KXStudio, although sound oriented, is indeed a multi-media distribution, and it is rich in studio and music making tools. It is possible to install it as a distribution, with it's own chosen desktop themes (I don't, because I don't like KDE and I don't share FalkTX's taste for dark colours) and its huge collection of DAW, synths, plugins, etc etc etc. It is also possible to pick and choose according to the various repositories.

The authors of the earlier jack control software were and are pioneers, trailblazers in Linux audio, but, with all (and its a lot) due respect to them, cadence and catia are much easier to use. Just my personal taste/experience of course :)

My name is Darin and I'm the developer of the Jaguar RTOS.
Hey Darin, welcome to hifivision. It is our previlege to have a developer amidst us. Hoping to gain some much needed gyan on computer audio in which I can be safely considered to be a noob.

Re: JaguarAudioDesign.com

Hi guys, and thanks. I'm not a developer, more like an audiophile who can't leave things alone.

You don't really have to be a developer to create a Linux distribution, but you do have to be willing to bang your head against the wall with weeks of long nights doing Google searches to get things to work. This project has the advantage of letting people download a fully-packaged audio OS and just use it, without having to learn Linux.

Do you have any plans for headless computers like the RPi?

The headless configuration is not really for me. I have a lot of albums on my drive and I find the best setup with a lot of music is to use a wireless mouse with the flat screen TV that's already between my speakers. This is how the Free RTOS is set up.

The next project I'm getting ready to release is the Jaguar Music Player computer. A custom-built music server with a slightly different real-time Linux OS and a highly-modified Windows 8.1 OS, a power buffered USB card (or sound card options, such as Lynx AES16 or I2S over HDMI) and Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX and PAE boxes tapped to the power supply. This is going to be a relatively high-end machine at around $3,500, so the Free RTOS is definitely the ticket for everyone on a budget.

@Jaguar , Thad and others
I am planning to use a old atom lap as music player
Music will be on external HHD(s) and lap will be pure OS + Applications machine.
Now I am linux noob ( though occasionaly used linux mint) and for some purpose want to retain windows ..
Also I have windows installed on the lap which I do NOT want to remove
Now can I install jaguar on other partition - where if I boot through Jaguar - will windows processes and drivers will interfere and corrode the sound?
Can I multipartition my laptop and install 2 or 3 flavors of audio linux ( Windows on 1 partition , Audioplhile Linux on Other , Jaguar on other ) - will there be interferance - ALSO ANY STABILITY ISSUES?
I preferabally avoid live CD's or live USB pen drive.
Also currently I use a cheap DAC

Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC ES9023+Tenor TE7022, 96khz/24bit, 96/24 +usb to optical
Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC ES9023 Tenor TE7022 96kHz 24bit 96 24 USB to Optical | eBay
It seems it has on board driver which gets installed.
Will it work with Jaguar?? What about AP linux?

So long as you have disc space, you should be able to partition your drive. If it is currently one big "C-drive" then this is not difficult, but nor is it trivial for a beginner. You will need to use tools in Windows to defrag your partition. You will need to use tools in Linux (Live CD or USB boot) to shrink it and make room for a Linux boot partition.

First make a back up of your Windows partition. If you can, make an "image" of it, which means you can restore a working partition, including your installed software without a complete reinstall. Do this again after resizing your partition and testing it to make sure that all still works.

Find a Windows/Linux-experienced friend to help you with all this. If they are a really good friend, they will being by insisting on even more backups!

Even though all this can be done with GUI software (gparted is brilliant and realtively easy, but still a mistake can be disastrous) it is daunting for a beginner to take on alone.

Yes, if you have room, you can install multiple Linuxes, as well as Windows, on your machine. I have my 10.04 install, my 11.04 install, one or two test systems, and Windows XP. Some day I will clear up and delete the now-never-used systems. No, when you are running Linux none of your windows software, drivers, etc, will be active,and none of them will have any effect.

One thing to remember is that Linux can access (read/write) NTFS and FAT file systems as well as its own. If you wish to share data between Windows and Linux, keep it on and NTFS partition. You can just keep external drives as NTFS: the data will be very portable.

DACs may need their own drivers to run at higher sampling rates under Windows (or at all in some cases) but they might not need under Linux. Check the manufacturer's site, or even email them. Or, given that you have the DAC already, boot up from a live CD/USB and give it a try! There is absolutely no point in going through all the above work only to find that what you have won't work.

Is any of this worth it when you already have a working Windows system, with which you are satisfied? Sorry, but I have to say... probably not. Unless you have good reason (even if it is only experiment and experience) to go for Linux then stick with what you have. It seems that Win audio has improved in recent versions: will Linux (Jack, Pulse Audio or whatever) sound better? I really don't know, but, frankly I doubt it. I have yet to see an objective comparison of sound from different software, let alone different OSs.

Last edited:
To make a couple of things clear...
nor is it trivial for a beginner.
Trivial is a computer person's jargon for, roughly, quick and easy. Probably obvious. We like to say non-trivial for stuff that is not quick and easy.

One thing to remember is that Linux can access (read/write) NTFS and FAT file systems as well as its own.
But Windows cannot [easily] access Linux partitions

I left out the important bit [Blush] of explaining why...
If you wish to share data between Windows and Linux, keep it on and NTFS partition. You can just keep external drives as NTFS: the data will be very portable.

@Jaguar , Thad and others
I am planning to use a old atom lap as music player
Music will be on external HHD(s) and lap will be pure OS + Applications machine.
Now I am linux noob ( though occasionaly used linux mint) and for some purpose want to retain windows ..
Also I have windows installed on the lap which I do NOT want to remove
Now can I install jaguar on other partition - where if I boot through Jaguar - will windows processes and drivers will interfere and corrode the sound?
Can I multipartition my laptop and install 2 or 3 flavors of audio linux ( Windows on 1 partition , Audioplhile Linux on Other , Jaguar on other ) - will there be interferance - ALSO ANY STABILITY ISSUES?
I preferabally avoid live CD's or live USB pen drive.
Also currently I use a cheap DAC

Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC ES9023+Tenor TE7022, 96khz/24bit, 96/24 +usb to optical
Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC ES9023 Tenor TE7022 96kHz 24bit 96 24 USB to Optical | eBay
It seems it has on board driver which gets installed.
Will it work with Jaguar?? What about AP linux?

You do not need to install the Jaguar RTOS to use it, because it can be run as a Live disc, but you will have to re-import your music and reset the latency settings if you shut the machine down (Suspending the machine is OK, because the memory is still powered).

You should not have a problem installing on a new partition and reinstalling GRUB, which will update the selections. That said, unexpected problems arise all the time doing things like this, so I would advise you to have your drive imaged to another drive with Clonezilla. I believe the number of bootable partitions you can have on a drive is limited to 4, unless the drive is set up as GUID.

If you're DAC does not require a driver install, that means it's using a driver from the standard USB drivers that come with Windows/Mac/Linux and it should work fine.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back