Jamo 909 in Mumbai @ LaKozy

bhagwan

Hello Everyone !

The Jamo 909 is on display & playing @ La Kozy in Mumbai.

Looks Great !!!

Sounds ??? I want to get your feedback on that.

For all the members in Bombay [Mumbai] please do drop by for an audition.

SHNATI

:cool:

For those of you who may be interested, the Jamo R909 stereo speaker is reviewed in the Aug-Sept. 2006 issue of What HiFi.

Hello to you too.

Yes, I did do a reasonably lenghty and peaceful audition of the speaker on its launch date. The speakers indeed look gorgeous... Its literally a "SALE" at first sight. The Sound.... Not "UP-THERE" yet at all. Though, a spread of reasons for that.

Brand New - Zero Run-in

Setup/Placement was much to be desired. (Norah Jones took on excessive height. She is supossed to be seated. Instead, she had "SuperModel" height)

Not Spiked at the launch (The bass was coupling with the floor. Male Vocals sounded cloudy... a lot)

Source Component.. way.. way lower than the speaker price. Why?

Nagra DAC-PRE-POWER. Can you even begin to fault their credentials.. but absolutely a wrong chocie to drive these Giants.

Thus... No adverse comments on the speaker. I am sure, there is much more greatness to them than what i heard.

As suggested... All (Mumbai) members must ogle at them though.

Lang.

Last edited:
I heard them too!

Couldn't say they were set up optimally, or that the choice of electronics was very appropriate for the speakers (some NAD Classic line cd player), so hard to tell what the speakers are really capable of. Would love to thear them in a good setup, with nice room acoustics etc. Can't be judgemental until then.

I hear it has been reviewed very well internationally. So it should be a great product, I would assume.

Fit/ Finish/ Build Quality was exceptional. It's a gorgeous piece of art.

I heard them too!

Fit/ Finish/ Build Quality was exceptional. It's a gorgeous piece of art.

Yes;

The Build Quality is to die for. Looks a million bucks.

I heard them with 3 amps :-

Nagra 845
Nagra - Pyramid
Nad Classic Series

In all the cases, the speaker was not in a position to do anything just because the amplifiers were not 'right' for this kind of an 'open baffle' design.

Please do take into account that there are 2 woofers - 15" on either speaker & they have a BL [force factor] in excess of 20. The Amplifier has to be a Solid State design, with a very very high damping factor. This speaker sends a negative feedback of 1 volt back to the amp. The Power Amplifier has to have a really strong power supply. AMplifiers of choice would be :-
Pass Labs / Accuphase / Burmester / Boulder / Spectral / Theta Digital etc.
The kind of stuff on demo was absolutely wrong.
This should actually not be done. Any prospective client will come, listen and run away.........Priyesh !!!!

Regards,

SHANTI

I heard the 909's at the AV exhibition at new delhi. It was not a proper place to listen to them.

They were playing with Marantz Electronics. PM15 integrated and SACD player.

Good build quality and finish using good drivers. But I found them to be overpriced for what they are offering.

I - Good build quality and finish using good drivers. But I found them to be overpriced for what they are offering.

I am a bit confused, why did you find them 'over priced' ?????

The tweeter is a custom Scanspeak Revelator
The Mid Range is a custom Seas Excel - Magnesium driver with Alnico Magnets
The woofer is a custom 15" from Peerless - Denmark

Build quality is to die for.

The sound is wonderfully 'open'

Bass was all over the place - that is because it needs a very very 'big' & 'powerful' amplifier [high damping factor].

I think it is a 'great value for money' speaker. One just needs a very very large room to appreciate it - now that is expensive.....

Shanti

Our listening preference might be different. There are other speakers which i would prefer over 909's at the same price. but then its my preference.

IMHO a good speaker should sound good to great with all types of amps, especially of the pedigree that seem to be mentioned here.

Having heard it abroad on two occasions I found it to have great looks and is a innovative design. Credit for that.
However when it comes to sound quality, there are many players out there which are a better bang for your buck.
B&W and Theil are two that come to mind readily.

@serum: that's a bit like saying that a great car is a great car, no matter what tyres you put on it. So technically, a Formula 1 car should be able put in the same lap times if it was shod with MRF tyres. Truth? Personally, building to a budget is the norm everywhere, whether the budget is $100 or $1 million.

The 909 requires a very low output impedance amp, because of the compromises in the crossover - which was dictated by the market condition. Ideally these need an Orion-like system, with an active XO and separate amps for each channel. Given the heavy baffle step correction to get usable low end output out of the dipole bass, and maintain useful sensitivity, the impedance plot would look like a profile of the Himalayas (I haven't seen one, and IIRC Jamo does not publish one - I wonder why - or maybe not wonder).

Linkwitz alludes to the R909 in his comments on dipole speakers, and notes his disappointment at the designer's choice to adopt a passive XO. Having done so, I guess you'll need a brute of an amp to be able to cope with these speakers, or at least one with a few tricks up its sleeve.

However, just like everything Lakozy sells, this is probably overpriced anyway. Not that I would be able to afford it soon enough if it was priced 'reasonably' compared to its US price, and if I could I'd rather have the Orions any day.

hi, very similar to the jamo 909 is the emerald physics open bafle speakers they are the same design ,but build quality is better in the jamo 909 ,sound wise they were on par with each other and price wise the emerald physics costs only abt 1/4 the price of the jamo 909

hi, very similar to the jamo 909 is the emerald physics open bafle speakers they are the same design ,but build quality is better in the jamo 909 ,sound wise they were on par with each other and price wise the emerald physics costs only abt 1/4 the price of the jamo 909

There's absolutely no similarity between the r909 and the Emerald Physics CS2 other than the fact that both are open baffle.

The r909 uses professional drivers used in large outdoor speakers with well known limitations. The midrange-high end driver is a compression driver. The jamo on the other hand uses a conventional scanspeak revelator for highs and a seas excel midrange alongwith their own custom designed paper cone bass drivers.

The CS2 uses active room correction and also corrects/equalizes the output of the drivers using a DCX2496 DSP. In comparison, the Jamo is a conventional speaker.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back