Jazz Standards.

I Fall in Love too easily

Tune by Jules Styne and Lyrics by Sammy Cahn in 1944. Popularised by the Hollywood Film, Anchors Aweigh starring Frank sinatra in 1945 (he beat the jazz greats to this tune :) just being a bit of shit disturber here). No great fanfare in terms of subsequent takes/recordings by other artists till 10 years later in 1954 when our man, Chet Baker does a beautiful, dreamy and ruminative version of his which personally for me is the definitive version of this song (feel free to share if you fall in love easily with another take of this song). Miles, played it multiple times and handled it beautifully each time. The plethora of jazz artists covering this tune leads me to the very scientific conclusion that they all fell in love too easily. Gregory Porter has covered it more recently.

The title reminds me of so many people I once knew ;)
Many jazz standards have very evocative and romantic titles, e.g. It Never Entered my Mind, In the Wee small hours of the morning, Willow weep for me, (I get) Misty (just holding your hand)....

Here's a well compiled and authoritative list of standards from Ted Gioia's book:

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 1.54.57 PM.png

Useful for us to catch up with the ones we haven't heard. Please excuse the lack of punctuation or line breaks ala James Joyce :). I've copy/pasted from Kindle:
After You’ve Gone Ain’t Misbehavin’ Airegin Alfie All Blues All of Me All of You All the Things You Are Alone Together Angel Eyes April in Paris Autumn in New York Autumn Leaves Bags’ Groove Basin Street Blues Beale Street Blues Bemsha Swing Billie’s Bounce Blue Bossa Blue in Green Blue Monk Blue Moon Blue Skies Bluesette Body and Soul But Beautiful But Not for Me Bye Bye Blackbird C Jam Blues Cantaloupe Island Caravan Chelsea Bridge Cherokee A Child Is Born Come Rain or Come Shine Come Sunday Con Alma Confirmation Corcovado Cotton Tail Darn That Dream Days of Wine and Roses Desafinado Dinah Django Do Nothin’ Till You Hear from Me Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans? Donna Lee Don’t Blame Me Don’t Get Around Much Anymore East of the Sun (and West of the Moon) Easy Living Easy to Love Embraceable You Emily Epistrophy Everything Happens to Me Evidence Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye Exactly Like You Falling in Love with Love Fascinating Rhythm Fly Me to the Moon A Foggy Day Footprints Gee, Baby, Ain’t I Good to You? Georgia on My Mind Ghost of a Chance Giant Steps The Girl from Ipanema God Bless the Child Gone with the Wind Good Morning Heartache Goodbye Pork Pie Hat Groovin’ High Have You Met Miss Jones? Here’s That Rainy Day Honeysuckle Rose Hot House How Deep Is the Ocean? How High the Moon How Insensitive How Long Has This Been Going On? I Can’t Get Started I Can’t Give You Anything but Love I Cover the Waterfront I Didn’t Know What Time It Was I Fall in Love Too Easily I Got It Bad (and That Ain’t Good) I Got Rhythm I Hear a Rhapsody I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart I Love You I Mean You I Only Have Eyes for You I Remember Clifford I Should Care I Surrender, Dear I Thought about You I Want to Be Happy If You Could See Me Now I’ll Remember April I’m in the Mood for Love Impressions In a Mellow Tone In a Sentimental Mood In Your Own Sweet Way Indiana Invitation It Could Happen to You It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing) It Might as Well Be Spring I’ve Found a New Baby The Jitterbug Waltz Joy Spring Just Friends Just One of Those Things Just You, Just Me King Porter Stomp Lady Bird The Lady Is a Tramp Lament Laura Lester Leaps In Like Someone in Love Limehouse Blues Liza Lonely Woman Love for Sale Lover Lover, Come Back to Me Lover Man Lullaby of Birdland Lush Life Mack the Knife Maiden Voyage The Man I Love Manhã de Carnaval Mean to Me Meditation Memories of You Milestones Misterioso Misty Moment’s Notice Mood Indigo More Than You Know Muskrat Ramble My Favorite Things My Foolish Heart My Funny Valentine My Old Flame My One and Only Love My Romance Naima Nardis Nature Boy The Nearness of You Nice Work If You Can Get It Night and Day Night in Tunisia Night Train Now’s the Time Nuages Oh, Lady Be Good! Old Folks Oleo On a Clear Day On Green Dolphin Street On the Sunny Side of the Street Once I Loved One Note Samba One o’Clock Jump Ornithology Our Love Is Here to Stay Out of Nowhere Over the Rainbow Peace The Peacocks Pennies from Heaven Perdido Poinciana Polka Dots and Moonbeams Prelude to a Kiss Rhythm-a-ning ’Round Midnight Royal Garden Blues Ruby, My Dear St. James Infirmary St. Louis Blues St. Thomas Satin Doll Scrapple from the Apple Secret Love The Shadow of Your Smile Shine Skylark Smile Smoke Gets in Your Eyes So What Softly, as in a Morning Sunrise Solar Solitude Someday My Prince Will Come Someone to Watch over Me Song for My Father The Song Is You Sophisticated Lady Soul Eyes Speak Low Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most Spring Is Here Star Dust Star Eyes Stella by Starlight Stolen Moments Stompin’ at the Savoy Stormy Weather Straight, No Chaser Struttin’ with Some Barbecue Summertime Sweet Georgia Brown ’S Wonderful Take Five Take the A Train Tea for Two Tenderly There Is No Greater Love There Will Never Be Another You These Foolish Things They Can’t Take That Away from Me Things Ain’t What They Used to Be Tiger Rag Time after Time Tin Roof Blues The Very Thought of You Waltz for Debby Watermelon Man Wave The Way You Look Tonight Well, You Needn’t What Is This Thing Called Love? What’s New? When the Saints Go Marching In Whisper Not Willow Weep for Me Yardbird Suite Yesterdays You Don’t Know What Love Is You Go to My Head You Stepped Out of a Dream You’d Be So Nice to Come Home To

Cheers!

Here's a well compiled and authoritative list of standards from Ted Gioia's book:

View attachment 49070

Useful for us to catch up with the ones we haven't heard. Please excuse the lack of punctuation or line breaks ala James Joyce :). I've copy/pasted from Kindle:
After You’ve Gone Ain’t Misbehavin’ Airegin Alfie All Blues All of Me All of You All the Things You Are Alone Together Angel Eyes April in Paris Autumn in New York Autumn Leaves Bags’ Groove Basin Street Blues Beale Street Blues Bemsha Swing Billie’s Bounce Blue Bossa Blue in Green Blue Monk Blue Moon Blue Skies Bluesette Body and Soul But Beautiful But Not for Me Bye Bye Blackbird C Jam Blues Cantaloupe Island Caravan Chelsea Bridge Cherokee A Child Is Born Come Rain or Come Shine Come Sunday Con Alma Confirmation Corcovado Cotton Tail Darn That Dream Days of Wine and Roses Desafinado Dinah Django Do Nothin’ Till You Hear from Me Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans? Donna Lee Don’t Blame Me Don’t Get Around Much Anymore East of the Sun (and West of the Moon) Easy Living Easy to Love Embraceable You Emily Epistrophy Everything Happens to Me Evidence Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye Exactly Like You Falling in Love with Love Fascinating Rhythm Fly Me to the Moon A Foggy Day Footprints Gee, Baby, Ain’t I Good to You? Georgia on My Mind Ghost of a Chance Giant Steps The Girl from Ipanema God Bless the Child Gone with the Wind Good Morning Heartache Goodbye Pork Pie Hat Groovin’ High Have You Met Miss Jones? Here’s That Rainy Day Honeysuckle Rose Hot House How Deep Is the Ocean? How High the Moon How Insensitive How Long Has This Been Going On? I Can’t Get Started I Can’t Give You Anything but Love I Cover the Waterfront I Didn’t Know What Time It Was I Fall in Love Too Easily I Got It Bad (and That Ain’t Good) I Got Rhythm I Hear a Rhapsody I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart I Love You I Mean You I Only Have Eyes for You I Remember Clifford I Should Care I Surrender, Dear I Thought about You I Want to Be Happy If You Could See Me Now I’ll Remember April I’m in the Mood for Love Impressions In a Mellow Tone In a Sentimental Mood In Your Own Sweet Way Indiana Invitation It Could Happen to You It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing) It Might as Well Be Spring I’ve Found a New Baby The Jitterbug Waltz Joy Spring Just Friends Just One of Those Things Just You, Just Me King Porter Stomp Lady Bird The Lady Is a Tramp Lament Laura Lester Leaps In Like Someone in Love Limehouse Blues Liza Lonely Woman Love for Sale Lover Lover, Come Back to Me Lover Man Lullaby of Birdland Lush Life Mack the Knife Maiden Voyage The Man I Love Manhã de Carnaval Mean to Me Meditation Memories of You Milestones Misterioso Misty Moment’s Notice Mood Indigo More Than You Know Muskrat Ramble My Favorite Things My Foolish Heart My Funny Valentine My Old Flame My One and Only Love My Romance Naima Nardis Nature Boy The Nearness of You Nice Work If You Can Get It Night and Day Night in Tunisia Night Train Now’s the Time Nuages Oh, Lady Be Good! Old Folks Oleo On a Clear Day On Green Dolphin Street On the Sunny Side of the Street Once I Loved One Note Samba One o’Clock Jump Ornithology Our Love Is Here to Stay Out of Nowhere Over the Rainbow Peace The Peacocks Pennies from Heaven Perdido Poinciana Polka Dots and Moonbeams Prelude to a Kiss Rhythm-a-ning ’Round Midnight Royal Garden Blues Ruby, My Dear St. James Infirmary St. Louis Blues St. Thomas Satin Doll Scrapple from the Apple Secret Love The Shadow of Your Smile Shine Skylark Smile Smoke Gets in Your Eyes So What Softly, as in a Morning Sunrise Solar Solitude Someday My Prince Will Come Someone to Watch over Me Song for My Father The Song Is You Sophisticated Lady Soul Eyes Speak Low Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most Spring Is Here Star Dust Star Eyes Stella by Starlight Stolen Moments Stompin’ at the Savoy Stormy Weather Straight, No Chaser Struttin’ with Some Barbecue Summertime Sweet Georgia Brown ’S Wonderful Take Five Take the A Train Tea for Two Tenderly There Is No Greater Love There Will Never Be Another You These Foolish Things They Can’t Take That Away from Me Things Ain’t What They Used to Be Tiger Rag Time after Time Tin Roof Blues The Very Thought of You Waltz for Debby Watermelon Man Wave The Way You Look Tonight Well, You Needn’t What Is This Thing Called Love? What’s New? When the Saints Go Marching In Whisper Not Willow Weep for Me Yardbird Suite Yesterdays You Don’t Know What Love Is You Go to My Head You Stepped Out of a Dream You’d Be So Nice to Come Home To

Cheers!

On the ride guys!
Cutting & pasting on Tidal search.... Listening & saving the tracks which I like. Multiple choices for every track... Thank you FiftyFifty

cheers

Great idea to create a tidal playlist and share!
This is slightly OT.Are these titles available in tidal hifi at a higher resolution than 320 kbps? I have Spotify playlists but resolution is an issue.I don't have tidal as this VPN issue is beyond me.Can I have tidal hi-fi through my son who is in the USA and play it through my windows 10 J River laptop which is my present digital source for Spotify?
Thanks.

This is slightly OT.Are these titles available in tidal hifi at a higher resolution than 320 kbps? I have Spotify playlists but resolution is an issue.I don't have tidal as this VPN issue is beyond me.Can I have tidal hi-fi through my son who is in the USA and play it through my windows 10 J River laptop which is my present digital source for Spotify?
Thanks.
I'll PM you!

View attachment 49070

Cheers!
@Fiftyfifty and as expansive as a James Joyce novel. ;)

"It’s also quite common to come across good songs that are played often enough to be familiar, yet the names of their composers don’t ring any bells."

If you are in the discovery mode or snooping for stuff. Enjoyable read.

"It’s also quite common to come across good songs that are played often enough to be familiar, yet the names of their composers don’t ring any bells."

If you are in the discovery mode or snooping for stuff. Enjoyable read.

Very nice read.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back