Jazz Standards.

Back in the day when I used to watch Shaolin martial art movies , the ultimate master in the last chamber , would have a style far removed from the exaggerated and extroverted flourishes of the lower level experts.
The master could simply do more by doing less.

What a fantastic correlation! Very well said.
Bonus points for reminding me to rewatch The 36th Chamber of Shaolin :)

Who would’ve imagined that Michael Jackson and Cyndi Lauper would contribute to the library of jazz standards.

wow. very nice takes on human nature. The 3rd one, with the introduction by musicians served as a good visual into the building blocks of the jam they were going to perform.

The signature Ellington song. Sometimes I feel this is how jazz should always be. This is the standard that hooked me to this genre. Very easy listening , evocative of the title and boy it swings. This early version has the lyrics too.

Nobody swings it like the Duke!

Sushant, we’re swimming in the shallow end of an infinite musical pool. Multiple lifetimes aren’t enough to hear and appreciate everything in the pool. Therein lies the joy of a new discovery everyday and I can relate to that feeling you're expressing :)

Jayant, let alone the infinite pool, even keeping up with the other swimmers in this HFV pool of jazz threads is a challenge. Each video posted here is an opportunity to swim and enjoy the waters for a while in that part of the pool. And there are so many dimensions to the pool. For example, look at the beauty of the song titles and the lyrics, so well written by the likes of Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, George and Ira Gershwin, among others.

Look at these (I'm not posting the videos. There are plenty of versions on youtube, all very beautiful):
Walk my way
And a thousand violins begin to play
Or it might be the sound of your hello
That music I hear
I get misty whenever you're near

(Misty - Errol Garner/ Johnny Burke)

Or this one:
When your lonely heart has learned its lesson
You'd be his if only he'd call
In the wee small hours of the morning
That's the time you miss him most of all

(David Mann/ Bob Hilliard)

Cheers!

Jayant, let alone the infinite pool, even keeping up with the other swimmers in this HFV pool of jazz threads is a challenge. Each video posted here is an opportunity to swim and enjoy the waters for a while in that part of the pool. And there are so many dimensions to the pool. For example, look at the beauty of the song titles and the lyrics, so well written by the likes of Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, George and Ira Gershwin, among others.

Look at these (I'm not posting the videos. There are plenty of versions on youtube, all very beautiful):
Walk my way
And a thousand violins begin to play
Or it might be the sound of your hello
That music I hear
I get misty whenever you're near

(Misty - Errol Garner/ Johnny Burke)

Or this one:
When your lonely heart has learned its lesson
You'd be his if only he'd call
In the wee small hours of the morning
That's the time you miss him most of all

(David Mann/ Bob Hilliard)

Cheers!
Wonderful morning listening with a hot cup of coffee. Thanks Kishore!

In olden days, a glimpse of stocking
Was looked on as something shocking.
But now, God knows,
Anything goes.
Good authors too who once knew better words
Now only use four-letter words
Writing prose.

Anything goes.
(Cole Porter)

Listen to Cecile Mclorin Salvant sing this. Womanchild indeed!

In olden days, a glimpse of stocking
Was looked on as something shocking.
But now, God knows,
Anything goes.
Good authors too who once knew better words
Now only use four-letter words
Writing prose.

Anything goes.
(Cole Porter)

Listen to Cecile Mclorin Salvant sing this. Womanchild indeed!
This was also covered by Frank Sinatra. used to listen to it.
Sorry for being offtopic. has Frank Sinatra sung any jazz song ? :)

Many classify Sinatra as a jazz singer. I found this:

But to me, and sorry if I'm stirring up a hornet's nest here, I think he was a great singer, but he was a singer of ballads and classic pop. I don't consider Michael Buble a jazz singer either.

Last edited:
Sinatra had a truck load of popular songs and covered innumerable jazz standards, but was he a jazz singer? He could swing with the best of them and was a master of phrasing. For me that makes the answer an emphatic yes!
Miles Davis famously said about his album Porky and Bess "I wanted my trumpet to sound like Sinatra".
Listen to this to hear what I mean. Sorry Sushant - back to the standards with my next post :)

Last edited:
Many classify Sinatra as a jazz singer. I found this:

But to me, and sorry if I'm stirring up a hornet's nest here, I think he was a great singer, but he was a singer of ballads and classic pop. I don't consider Michael Buble a jazz singer either.
Ah Kishore - I just saw your post on Sinatra. Video from the same source :)

Sinatra had a truck load of popular songs and covered innumerable jazz standards, but was he a jazz singer? He could swing with the best of them and was a master of phrasing. For me that makes the answer an emphatic yes!
Miles Davis famously said about his album Porky and Bess "I wanted my trumpet to sound like Sinatra".
Listen to this to hear what I mean. Sorry Sushant - back to the standards with my next post :)
I think we are improvising and will come back to the melody in time. :) I am sure FMs reading the above posts will enjoy you guys veering off aswell, I know I am.
That was a good short read and I liked the ballpark bit about how one sings jazz.

Hope I am ontopic and here is the song. With my little intelligence I only see swinging jazz type music in frank sinatra song. So distinguished gentlemen please do give your inputs how is jazz genre designated. I mean such a form as 'free music' how can one identify.
I had this on vinyl. Sounded nice in that format.

Hope I am ontopic and here is the song. With my little intelligence I only see swinging jazz type music in frank sinatra song. So distinguished gentlemen please do give your inputs how is jazz genre designated. I mean such a form as 'free music' how can one identify.
I had this on vinyl. Sounded nice in that format.
Hiten, there's no doubt that Frank Sinatra was a legend. Jazz is a very wide term and each person's definition of jazz, like mine, could be a subset of the full repertoire. I guess it's best for us to just enjoy the music and not bother too much about definitions.
If you listen to the same song by Cecile Mclorin Salvant, it may give a clue about how Sinatra's jazz is different

I dont want to interrupt the flow of the thread. Please carry on. I am listening to these music and following discussion.
Regards.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back