Jazz Standards.

Hiten, I was hoping that these threads will expose more music lovers to the beauty of jazz. I'm glad you are here, listening. Please do keep posting.
Bhai, thing is I am musically illiterate person. I listen to what I like but cant discuss :(. Here is one I like. I like Bill Evans. Both music will be purchased soon once I get good system.
Will post on and off as I will browse my collection. One I remember is Ahmad Jamal 'Alhambra' Usually with music is I listen sample of them. Sort out which I like.. Give them multiple listen and keep them.
Regards

Hope I am ontopic and here is the song. With my little intelligence I only see swinging jazz type music in frank sinatra song. So distinguished gentlemen please do give your inputs how is jazz genre designated. I mean such a form as 'free music' how can one identify.
I had this on vinyl. Sounded nice in that format.

‘Jazz-Pop Crossover‘.

Hope I am ontopic and here is the song. With my little intelligence I only see swinging jazz type music in frank sinatra song. So distinguished gentlemen please do give your inputs how is jazz genre designated. I mean such a form as 'free music' how can one identify.
I had this on vinyl. Sounded nice in that format.
Hiten, I will attempt but might fall short since I am in the process of discovery myself. "Swing", like you mentioned is a very important but not the only part of jazz singing as the article above suggested, singing could also "employ techniques such as singing behind the beat, accenting words and changing the phrasing, altering (and substituting) lyrics etc" and many other concepts jazz singers/players know and use.

The time period you were singing/playing in (as mentioned in a post before this) might also decide how you chose to interpret standards and the techniques you might chose to do the same besides your own originality which could also be influenced by the times. Louis Armstrong vis a vis Chet Baker and how they would interpret the same song. Maybe Frank Sinatra sang at a time when ballads and more popular music was more in demand and being consumed by a wider audience. I mean this statement in an attempt to describe and understand and not to belittle his musical prowess and humungous body of work.

Most importantly, personal preferences just as Kishore said "Jazz is too wide a term" and so are vocal stylings in jazz. I might like the excessive use of harmonies and improvisations and somebody else might like it when the singer/player keeps a tune close to the melody not venturing too far out from it or many other such nuances.
I understand this still doesn't answer the more pointed question you posted but I think if you know why you like a singer or performer that's what matters more and if you rely on your ear or a feeling that's equally fantastic too.
PS. most of these ideas here are borrowed from different sources and they might be nascent but I do agree with them. plus all of this is newly assimilated information for me but I just wanted to verbalize it. Let's get on with the music.

Last edited:
Bhai, thing is I am musically illiterate person. I listen to what I like but cant discuss :(. Here is one I like. I like Bill Evans. Both music will be purchased soon once I get good system.
wWill post on and off as I will browse my collection. One I remember is Ahmad Jamal 'Alhambra' Usually with music is I listen sample of them. Sort out which I like.. Give them multiple listen and keep them.
Regards
Arre bhai, Jamal, Hancock, Bill Evans, all pretty hardcore and right up there. How can you call yourself illiterate,

How can you call yourself illiterate,
:) knowing is different than understanding. Everyone who explores music knows big stars.
I hardly listen to fusion music (East-West) But I do have "Indo Jazz Fusion II" John Mayer & Joe Harriott. Which I have kept because I like it. Here is an example. Mine has different cover.
Request experts to do critique my choice and little tidbits of music I post and comments.
Little selfish but it will help me. :)

:) knowing is different than understanding. Everyone who explores music knows big stars.
I hardly listen to fusion music (East-West) But I do have "Indo Jazz Fusion II" John Mayer & Joe Harriott. Which I have kept because I like it. Here is an example. Mine has different cover.
Request experts to do critique my choice and little tidbits of music I post and comments.
Little selfish but it will help me. :)
Hiten, the internet is a great place to start. multiple videos and articles explaining concepts and bits here and there. that is just one way and am sure you could approach things in myriad of different ways. critiquing requires much analysis. keep at it. :)

It don"t mean a thing if.....
Masterful artistry and no shenanigans.
Helped me enjoy and internalize some standards. Both beautiful albums.
View attachment 45657

Both great selections Sushant! The first one of Ted with Eiji Kitamaro a rare one. They combine to produce such a clean sound. Looks like you have the LP which is indeed a collector's item.

Not very easy to play jazz on a clarinet because of the tonal restrictions but Kitamaro is a genius. It would be interesting to see a thread on Japanese jazz.... there are some masters of there.

Keep posting!

The standards (not only jazz) set by the following (my favorite) composers influenced various genres (Billie Holiday, Ella Fitgerald, Diana Krall, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, FYC, U2, Tom Waits, Peter Gabriel, Willie Nelson and the list goes on......) of music:

George and Ira Gershwin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_George_Gershwin

Cole Porter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_written_by_Cole_Porter

The standards (not only jazz) set by the following (my favorite) composers influenced various genres (Billie Holiday, Ella Fitgerald, Diana Krall, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, FYC, U2, Tom Waits, Peter Gabriel, Willie Nelson and the list goes on......) of music:

George and Ira Gershwin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_George_Gershwin

Cole Porter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_written_by_Cole_Porter
Thanks @msagar thats an expansive list of works there. Do share with us if you have like some more than others.

Both great selections Sushant! The first one of Ted with Eiji Kitamaro a rare one. They combine to produce such a clean sound. Looks like you have the LP which is indeed a collector's item.

Not very easy to play jazz on a clarinet because of the tonal restrictions but Kitamaro is a genius. It would be interesting to see a thread on Japanese jazz.... there are some masters of there.

Keep posting!
Hi Kishore. Yeah, the guys are brilliant. Not a note out of place. and yes the LP is quite nice, thanks.
Didnt know that about the Clarinet. Am only familiar with a couple of Japanese Jazz players but will be nice to learn more.

A while back we were talking about clave and Samba. No better and no more refined example than what I'm spinning right now...sheer listening pleasure! And talking of standards, Desafinado on this album made the Jobim composition a global hit. Innumerable covers have followed since.

86E0E4B3-5F59-4DB4-8C69-E582D8A1CD57.jpeg

A while back we were talking about clave and Samba. No better and no more refined example than what I'm spinning right now...sheer listening pleasure! And talking of standards, Desafinado on this album made the Jobim composition a global hit. Innumerable covers have followed since.

View attachment 46236
So many albumfacts you can read about this fantatstic Album. Thanks for the share Jayant.

I Fall in Love too easily

Tune by Jules Styne and Lyrics by Sammy Cahn in 1944. Popularised by the Hollywood Film, Anchors Aweigh starring Frank sinatra in 1945 (he beat the jazz greats to this tune :) just being a bit of shit disturber here). No great fanfare in terms of subsequent takes/recordings by other artists till 10 years later in 1954 when our man, Chet Baker does a beautiful, dreamy and ruminative version of his which personally for me is the definitive version of this song (feel free to share if you fall in love easily with another take of this song). Miles, played it multiple times and handled it beautifully each time. The plethora of jazz artists covering this tune leads me to the very scientific conclusion that they all fell in love too easily. Gregory Porter has covered it more recently.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back