JBL 2235H 15" three way DIY project

krell

Hi friends
Thanks for viewing.
Some how I was addicted to vintage JBL sound, especially with large 12woofer models.
I am highly enjoying my speakers JBL L 100T3, I am not saying they are the best, but they are the speakers which makes me smile every time. Previously I had some of the high end speakers like FOCAL 836V & CANTON VENTO 890DC (3way large floor standing speakers) ,they are excellent all round speakers ,but always some thing is slightly missing even after so much tweaking and changing the sources and amps.
Some how I got my hands on JBL 100T3 and its the end of purchasing the speakers.
I realized what I need and what my taste is.
Some how I got an itch to build a large JBL floor standing speakers by seeing a lot of posts in ALTEC LANCING form.

I selected the following components after a lot of readings.

1) JBL 2235H- 15 driver for low frequency.
2) JBL 2213H- 10 driver for mid frequency.
3) JBL 2417H- High frequency driver with horn
4) Crossover: Rane AC23 stereo active 3way crossover
5) AMPS: Yamaha MX1000 for woofer duties(260W per channel with 0.003%Thd)
Yamaha MX45-4 Channel for mids and high frequency duties.

As per the JBL cabinet enclosure guide the 2235h needs 5cu feet and the dog box for sealed mid requires 0.3 to 0.4 cu ft. JBL enclosure guide gives the 2235 cabinet volume with bracing and driver displacement and port tubes to 5.4 cu feet.
So the net internal volume required is 5.4 for woofer and 0.4 for mid range dog box, it resulting a net internal volume required is 5.8 cu ft with medium filling.
I decided to keep the tweeter separate for future upgrades.
The cabinet is made with 18mm MDF on all sides and 30 mm on front baffle.
The size of the cabinet is 20 wide and 34.5 height.
02 no of hallow braces was used for cabinet strength.
Made some DIY jig from internet for woofer and midrange cutouts with router.
Ports used are 4 heavy duty sewage PVC pipes with internal dia is103 mm and thickness is 3.2 mm.
JBL specified 2 no of ports with 11 length.
Wood filler was used along with silicone for gluing and sealing the edges.
T nuts were used to place the woofer in position.
Glass wool was 2 thick and liberally filled all the edges except the front baffle.
Dog box was made for midrange with MDF thickness 12mm all sides.
Front baffle backside recessed to 5mm low to receive the midrange dogbox.
Complete assembly done.
The speaker looks bigger than I imaged, luckily my wife and daughter was in India for a short stay, hence a lot of free time for assembly of the speakers.

Listening impressions:
I had a spare 4411 crossover in hand just for testing. It has crossover points 800 Hz for woofer and 4kzfor tweeter.
Initially I connected the drivers to the 4411 crossover and I played my regular songs.
The sound is good but not impressive.
Removed the testing crossover (4411) from the system.
Now connected the RANE AC23 active 3 way stereo crossover and tri amping was done with YAMAHA MX1000 amp and MX45 amp.
YAMAHA MX1000 for lows and MX 45 for mids and highs.
After some adjustments finally I settled with crossover points for woofer is 400 Hz and 6kz for highs.
I started playing my favorite song from movie saguni manasulo maduve
My jaw was on the floor
UN believable sound.
The bass is to die for and the mids are real, the highs are crystal clear.
The 10 mid is doing its job beyond imagination, the voices are juicy and addictive.
The 15 low is throwing air insanely, I am feeling the thump in my chest, but not boomy, very very fine controlled bass.
Thanks to the active crossover and tri amping, I am able to control the drivers to suit my room acoustics.
I am really enjoying the results.
Need to finish the cabinet, may be another project.
vZrIFEk.jpg

NVUgx1S.jpg

BAKRsdH.jpg

Sac6sZG.jpg

alE0uAF.jpg

ySE2pB6.jpg

iFAaFQk.jpg

mmH94kw.jpg

hWCjYCJ.jpg

kbKkOGI.jpg

VX5zSSn.jpg

0ToSwK9.jpg

2GIMDcf.jpg

5v9Llni.jpg

uACZF5x.jpg

mgP7LFs.jpg

wo482vw.jpg

NLETRzN.jpg

LR3n6iL.jpg

1782MuP.jpg

oTs8Xkh.jpg

80ITzHQ.jpg

MxbiNwC.jpg

nusO60k.jpg

FJdctBB.jpg

Izis5LB.jpg

aWoDG9B.jpg

ccCYy2g.jpg

Sz9tliX.jpg

1xUzyvt.jpg

Its the end of buying speakers... Laughed so hard at that. Cool project .

Sir,

Amazing Effort ,I know this is know as JBL Addiction.How they are sounding ?
They need a Much Bigger space I guess,What finishing you planing for?

Man ,15" Bass and 10" Mid range looking massive(Prime :)) and the Yamaha MX (Itself a Beast) look like a Puppy.

Did you try with Sansui 717 ,were they able to push them? Any Video you could post please.

Then all the best for the full finishing ,Great work and passion on DIY.It should have cost much of your time.

No Words to speaker :), getting addicted myself for a Project now probably a miniature of yours.

Where did you get the 2235? Do you know anywhere I can get my hands on a E140 or a 2227H?

Where'd you get the cabinets built?

Cool project.

thanks for your comments, the sound is amazing. purely effortless. jbl 2235h is well known for its most usable frequency response and high efficiency,
really i forget all my pains after listening my songs through these speakers.
not tried with SANSUI AU717, Because the sansui is in india.
i purchased all the components from USA through ebay and received by buddy there and shipped to me by his commercial account with huge discount shipping prices.
cabinets build in OMAN(my living place)

Wow great to know, that you have friends helping out.

So what is the stands you planing to place the Speakers.I couldnt stop asking questions, Since lot of things running in my mind on how majestic they would look and sound with fully finished on the Elegant stand.

Also one doubt, how the Sync between the Woffer and Midrange\Horns?Since they are connected different amps.

regarding stands, i am still in the process.
all the three amps are connected through stereo 3 way active crossover with triamping.the lows from yamaha mx1000 and mids and highs from yamaha 45(4 channel).
crossover frequency was 450hz(for lows) and 6000hz(mids)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back