Jitter - Help Trying To Hear & ID It

there are multiple types of jitter and in most cases it is well below audible levels for a listener to discern.
One side issues of jitter which can get very evident is dropouts (which is much more evident in wireless streaming with gadget like Chormecast Audio which is more so in its optical output than analogue output.

Overall jitter even if not audible can kinda compress the music, try and play a zero bit track (which means complete background silence) and put your ears near the speakers (tweeters more so) and see if you can capture anything, ideally you should not

Can you name a few of the better and lesser DAC chips? Just for me to better understand.

I am referring to complete dacs not chips.

Some good dacs I have checked out in my system are the reimyo ( very old model ), naim ndx, acoustic portrait, lampizator level 3, Mytek stereo 192 dsd.

Comparison is generally against the analogue outputs of an auralic aries mini and also various cd players over the years. Bear in mind the auralic aries mini has one of best chips in the market today. But the analogue output implementation is very basic. It is used only for digital output in my system. The overall dac design is the key not just the chip itself.

Example ; I am actually trying out an acoustic portrait dac in my system now. The auralic aries mini runs on linux so it's usb is not compatible with the AP dac so I am using the optical in. The AP, although it uses an older wolfston chip blows the auralic ( analogue outs) away in every way. However I will be putting the AP dac for sale soon because I need a dac compatible with the usb output of the aurailc aries.

Last edited:
I am referring to complete dacs not chips.

Some good dacs I have checked out in my system are the reimyo ( very old model ), naim ndx, acoustic portrait, lampizator level 3, Mytek stereo 192 dsd.

Comparison is generally against the analogue outputs of an auralic aries mini and also various cd players over the years. Bear in mind the auralic aries mini has one of best chips in the market today. But the analogue output implementation is very basic. It is used only for digital output in my system. The overall dac design is the key not just the chip itself.

Example ; I am actually trying out an acoustic portrait dac in my system now. The auralic aries mini runs on linux so it's usb is not compatible with the AP dac so I am using the optical in. The AP, although it uses an older wolfston chip blows the auralic ( analogue outs) away in every way. However I will be putting the AP dac for sale soon because I need a dac compatible with the usb output of the aurailc aries.

Ok understood. Since you had written "chip DACs" i thought you meant DAC chips.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back