jitubisht's HT build thread...

Well, it has been almost 3 months and the work finally commences.
I was on a month long trip last month and the month before was spent preparing for the vacation itself (was a motorcycle ride)

now that I am back and have fully recovered I decided I will commence on the project again.

So, I ended up sharing the plan with a friend who was visiting from the US.. he suggested me things which made me think.. and hence, I have made changes to the original plan..

1. I have decided NOT to go for adding wooden panels and filling up with glasswool. This is the biggest change I have made. This was always an expensive thing to go for. If I start with the soundproofing and end up feeling it has made my room dead, I can never go back and recover my investment. I can always add later as and when required. The room has no windows and hence the only thing that I should really concentrate on is sealing the door - may be even adding two doors.This is not the final shape of the room, if at all I do end up feeling the sound isn't good.. or the room needs more dampening.. I can always add traps/panels at reflection points later. The idea is to start with the minimum and advance as you go along.

2. In the last week, I have had labours to make cutouts on the walls so the wiring can be done internally. The PVC pipes will be added today and I will post the pictures tonight once I get to see them. As suggested on this forums many times.. I have all the electrical wires running in the upper half and all the speaker wires running in the bottom half. Only the HDMI cable would eventually go to the upper half which I cannot avoid.

3. For the walls, I have decided (based on the suggestions from my friend) to cover 8-10mm MDF sheets with cloth and cover the walls with it. MDF has slight absorption coeffs which could well be beneficial keeping liveliness of the room in mind.

4. Ceiling will have a 6" deep 18" wide false celing along the edges. The only edge that wont have the false ceiling is the screen wall. The false ceiling part will eventually be in a U shape.

5. For AC I have decided to go for an Onida 2 Ton AC - this does cost lower than all the other 2 tonners I found in the market - however the selling point for me was highest cooling capacity which was 7000+. Even Hitachis, Daikins, O-Generals dont have that rating.. Onida will cost me 28.5K excl installation. The A/c will be mounted on the rear wall.

6. Color scheme - I am still unsure, but so far.. have thought of going for:
1. side and rear wall - bottom half dark grey - upper half cherry red/maroon
2. False ceiling - Dark Grey
3. Remainder of the celing (the not false ceiling part) - Cherry Red.
4. Carpet - Red color

7. Lighting - 8-10 spot lights on the false ceiling and led strip running on the inner side of false ceiling.

Placement of the equipments, speakers remain same. Comments/Critique welcome..

Quick update.

Its been over two months since last update and in all probability this weekend it is!!

So things have finally taken shape for good. Here are changes to the plan shared back in Feb:

1. I went for POP for all the walls. For now, no acoustic treatment on any walls. I have painted the side and back wall red, the false ceiling along the edges maroon and the front wall along with ceiling as black.

2. I have purchased the carpet red in colour. It should be installed this friday provided the door is installed tomorrow. The carpet has average thickness what you would see in a multiplex. For now, this is the only thing in the room that will do the work of sound absorption.

3. The door is where I have taken a risk. I have gone for soundproof doors. I will report its effectiveness after it is installed.

4. All wirings (electrical, speaker wire and HDMI) are done. Eight 3W LED spotlights have been installed. LED strip has been installed on the inside lining of the false ceiling.

5. The 2 Ton Onida AC was installed last Sunday on the rear wall.

6. The equipments are still lying at my sister's guest room. I will start bringing them in today as getting them all in at the same time will be a pain.

Some exciting times :)
Will try and post pictures tonight

The Making Of A Theater At Home

It is always great to have a open mind, no wonder you are making changes to the original plan, the same route i had followed will making my mini theater, it all depends how far one can go with their passion.

The wooden paneling backed with glass wool is a concept which is being followed since long and is done in cinema halls, theatres at home, including demo rooms with other options available too. In order that the room does not go dead, there are various pointers which has to be followed, many of them back out because of the huge cost and the trouble to get it done. The panel and glass wool is not a prime issue to sound proof the room, it improves the quality of sound too.

It is very difficult to add wooden panel and glass wool at a later time and not feasible etc.

Well you are a very lucky person that there are no windows in the room, congratulations.

It is a good idea to concentrate on sealing the doors, in my case i have used double thickness door with large hinges, the door is filled some what with glass wool in 2 & 4 inches. It is important not to use floor spring for the door, hinges is the way to go forward. By adding 2 doors is a good idea, but then sooner or later it may get on your nerve, so maybe it is better to force your capabilities with one door.

It is better that you finish the acoustic work at one go because to renew things at a later time is likely to be a big pain, take slow steps, like how Rana Kirti, has taken and moreover you have so much of help available from members.

I have done all the wiring's and cables in such a way, which has a opening option so that if the need be things can be handled.

About using cloth to cover the walls, you need to be very careful with the type of fabric you choose, i have seen cases where some of them have gone wrong. I have used fabric which is similar to some of the branded sport shoes.

In the false ceiling i have used around 14 lights, most of them halogen and mini Chandler type. The tube lights should be avoided completely. I had tried to put led strips in the false ceiling but it failed miserably because it was not able to throw the light outside by more then 40%.

If the AC is mounted in middle of the room, it will be more better, if it is on the rear, the sound could disturb.

I have used white acoustic tiles for the ceiling with 20% area, in red and have used wall to wall carpet too in red.

V.

I ended up sharing the plan with a friend who was visiting from the US.. he suggested me things which made me think.. and hence, I have made changes to the original plan..

1. I have decided NOT to go for adding wooden panels and filling up with glasswool. This is the biggest change I have made. This was always an expensive thing to go for. If I start with the soundproofing and end up feeling it has made my room dead, I can never go back and recover my investment. I can always add later as and when required. The room has no windows and hence the only thing that I should really concentrate on is sealing the door - may be even adding two doors.This is not the final shape of the room, if at all I do end up feeling the sound isn't good.. or the room needs more dampening.. I can always add traps/panels at reflection points later. The idea is to start with the minimum and advance as you go along.

2. In the last week, I have had labours to make cutouts on the walls so the wiring can be done internally.

3. For the walls, I have decided to cover 8-10mm MDF sheets with cloth

5. The A/c will be mounted on the rear wall.

6. Color scheme - I am still unsure, but so far.. have thought of going for:
1. side and rear wall - bottom half dark grey - upper half cherry red/maroon
2. False ceiling - Dark Grey
3. Remainder of the celing (the not false ceiling part) - Cherry Red.
4. Carpet - Red color

7. Lighting - 8-10 spot lights on the false ceiling and led strip running on the inner side of false ceiling.

Last edited:
There is some sheet in white color which looks like a thermocal, i have installed below the carpet, by doing this the feel to walk on the carpet has become much better, and the carpet looks more thicker.

If the doors are made of stainless steel then it may not be a good idea, wooden doors are the most idle.

I had done several mistakes while making my mini theatre, once i realized the error, often it was too late, and at times money was fully wasted in rectifying the situation but i saw to it that i got the right things done all over again in such a case.

It will be a great idea if you can control the spot lights via remote with dimmer option.

V.

2. The carpet has average thickness what you would see in a multiplex. For now, this is the only thing in the room that will do the work of sound absorption.

3. The door is where I have taken a risk. I have gone for soundproof doors. I will report its effectiveness after it is installed.

4. All wirings (electrical, speaker wire and HDMI) are done. Eight 3W LED spotlights have been installed.

Thanks Vinay for your detailed reply.

While I do understand that the wooden panelling and glasswool was 'the thing' to do, however it was simply out of my budget. For the room of my size it was costing 2 L and upwards and hence I had to drop the idea.

The Acoustics are not being ignored at the point. For that, I will go with a 'need-based' approach. To start with the carpet is doing all the work required. Based on the performance, I would identify a few months later how many panels need to be added.

AC unfortunately could not be done some where in the middle of the room because of poor room planning on my part. Some corrections are doable, unfortunately this wasnt.

The sound proof door is a single piece thick door. It will be installed tomorrw, more on after its installed.

The dimmer option is not done at this time, again due to cost cutting. This is a new house that we have moved in and hence there have been many more expenses than just the HT that I had to bear. Hence, my budget has taken a HIT. Hopefully, this is something I can look at in the future.

While I do understand that the wooden panelling and glasswool was 'the thing' to do, however it was simply out of my budget. For the room of my size it was costing 2 L and upwards and hence I had to drop the idea.

The Acoustics are not being ignored at the point. For that, I will go with a 'need-based' approach. To start with the carpet is doing all the work required. Based on the performance, I would identify a few months later how many panels need to be added.

AC unfortunately could not be done some where in the middle of the room because of poor room planning on my part. Some corrections are doable, unfortunately this wasnt.

The sound proof door is a single piece thick door. It will be installed tomorrw, more on after its installed.

The dimmer option is not done at this time, again due to cost cutting. This is a new house that we have moved in and hence there have been many more expenses than just the HT that I had to bear. Hence, my budget has taken a HIT. Hopefully, this is something I can look at in the future.

Buddy, thanks for sharing the updates.

Keeping the A/C on one of the walls is simpler from a maintenance POV, so don't worry too much about getting it fitted on the celing in the center of the room (I am guessing you are trying to fit a Cassette A/C).

Sound proof door looks interesting. Abroad, many chaps have installed heavy Fire Door in their Home Theaters with good results.

On dimmer, check with Sharad (smedhavi). He has used a VFM dimmer that he had from a previous build. He mentioned it is available on ebay.in. It looks like a car autocop remote and works well. Line of sight not required - just point anywhere and it works.

Vinay has made some very good suggestions. Do keep them in mind and implement it when the time is right. No rush, but don't delay it for too long also:). Speaking from my own experience, there were some improvements I had left for later (thinking I will do it when I have the money) but that approach just does not seem to work.

All the best mate. Post pictures please.

Sharing the first pics of HT for the first time any where on the internet!

There was a room on the terrace when we bought this house. The only brick part that you see in the pic that was added later to make the room bigger

After the room was ready'd, it was time for false ceiling. Here is the WIP pics of the false ceiling.

After the false ceiling was done with, I started moving away from the MDF ply idea for the walls, hence the work commenced for the POP on walls.

Here is the pic after the first coat of paint on the walls.

Here is the finished walls/ceiling. :yahoo: Doors/Carpet pending

Last edited:
Looking good mate!! Way to go!! Your SVS sub is looking a bit too tall in the 1st pic:D. Post one more pic with all lights switched off and just the spot lights on. Thanx.

Also, whats that on the ceiling near the apex of the U? Projector mount or a light?

Carpet and Door implemented! The HT rack is still pending, however this was not gonna stop me :D

I finally moved equipments slowly into my ht room this past saturday, again the first time I am posting these pics anywhere on the internet :yahoo:

Sharing some screenshots from Avatar and Matrix... just for the heck of it!

:thumbsup:Splendid Dude:licklips:!!

Btw, can't see the roll of ply err... SVS sub? Is it behind the front left speaker?

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back