JRiver "Waiting" at the end of Album Playback

Nikhil

Staff member
I've had this issue with JRiver for quite a while but never bothered to look up the solution.
At the end of an album playback JRiver sometimes just says "Waiting" instead of just stopping.

Has anyone else had this issue with JRiver?

JRiver Waiting.png

Are the files being read from a network and not locally?

Can you confirm that

Are the files being read from a network and not locally?

Can you confirm that

Yes the files are on a network shared drive.

The files are on a library on another computer on my LAN.
I've looked up this on JRiver INTERACT forum but could not find a solution.

To make matters a little more complicated - this does not happen every time.

Most likely the lan is going on power saving mode, hence taking a while to fire up

Please check if you can disbale that and check if it stilll happens.

I am talking about the just the lan going on power saving mode, not the whole PC

Great tip Rikhav ... Thanks!

Have disabled power management on the NIC.
Let me see if this still occurs going forward.

Does it happen even with local files?

MaSh

Yes
Do make a playlist of files in local storage and check if you get same "waiting"

Observe if it comes for longer tracks only when playing through NAS

Have you got play from RAM enabled ?

Try disabling that and check if "waiting" goes away

No luck on this so far. I still get the "Waiting" message
This is for albums read off the network drive.
The message comes up about 10 secs before the end of the album and stays on.
I haven't checked with local files because I don't plan to use the local drive for music.

Memory playback disabled. Still no luck.
This is a really confusing issue. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
No luck on this so far. I still get the "Waiting" message
This is for albums read off the network drive.
The message comes up about 10 secs before the end of the album and stays on.
I haven't checked with local files because I don't plan to use the local drive for music.

Memory playback disabled. Still no luck.
This is a really confusing issue. Makes no sense.

Hmm, definitely a network issue. Did you try resetting the router? Did you try another player like foobar or MediaPlayer? Do they also have similar behavior?

MaSh

In the file location settings for audio and video both please check if there is any location which does not exist anymore.
If YES then delete that entry and check if you still get that WAITING

I am not coming up with solutions by myself. Referring to others threads of jriver

Thanks for the help guys. I am also looking it as a network issue.

I am not coming up with solutions by myself. Referring to others threads of jriver

JRiver's Interact forum has nothing on this issue - there is one thread but it was inconclusive.

Playback works just fine when I switch albums or play any track etc.
The "Waiting" message comes up about 10 secs before the end of the album
JRiver is looking for something at the end of the album that signals end of playback.

Let me reset the router and see if it helps.

I don't see why the router will be an issue for that WAITING sign

Please check for non existing location in files first

Bring that playlist files locally, play that and see if the problem persists. It'll tell us if the problem is network related or not. Let us know what happens.

Does the "waiting" message come up at almost the same time during playing the last track?

Can you remove the last track from playlist thus making the second last one the last track? When the "waiting" message comes up, can you now drag in the removed last track in the playlist and see what happens?

Also try by dragging in the removed last track in the playlist just before the "waiting message comes up. Let us know what happens.

Navigate to your network drive (containing playlist files) using a file explorer and keep that window open. When the waiting message comes up, from that file explorer, perform some activity on the network drive. Let us know what happens.
Again, perform the same network activity just before the waiting message comes up. Let us know what happens.

I know that there is a JRiver event raised at times that has "waiting" in the event name but have never paid much attention to it. Will try to dig deeper into it.

Last edited:
Does the "waiting" message come up at almost the same time during playing the last track?

Yes it comes about 10 sec before the end of the last track.

But thank you all for taking the time to look into this. In the end this is a minor niggle.
I've had it for so long - won't really affect anything as I continue to use JRiver.
What I've seen since is that it comes on for some albums and doesn't for others.

So will just leave it alone and get on with the music.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back