Just replaced my Onkyo 709 with the Marantz 5009

gnkapadia

Hi guys,
I just replaced my old Onkyo 708 with the Marantz 5009, which I bought from Snapdeal at 66k.
Quite impressed with the receiver. Brilliant sound and am mighty impressed. Wifi connected instantly. Internet radio on 5.1 multi channel sounds nice.
Also I think the sound tends to fill the room much better.
Also downloaded the Android based remote app, which also works perfectly. In all am quite happy with the receiver.

Can you be a little more detailed? I am looking at replacing my Onkyo 875 with one from Denon, Marantz, or even Pioneer - something like the LX series.

When I did an audition a few years ago, I settled on Onkyo as (to me ears) they sounded the best. What I liked about the Onkyo were the following:

1. Never ran out of juice. Seemed to always have reserve power.
2. Separation of dialogues and other sounds was very clear. Never needed subtitles to understand.
3. Did not seem to push or emphasize bass. Secondly bass always died quickly with no echos. I used the bombing scenes from Battle Of Britain extensively for my audience.
4. Fulfilled my need for music listening also. I just love the sound of music that the Onkyo 875 gives me.

Essentially your comments on the same topics will be welcome - power, dialogue delivery. bass management, and sound of music.

Thanks

Hi guys,
I just replaced my old Onkyo 708 with the Marantz 5009, which I bought from Snapdeal at 66k.
Quite impressed with the receiver. Brilliant sound and am mighty impressed. Wifi connected instantly. Internet radio on 5.1 multi channel sounds nice.
Also I think the sound tends to fill the room much better.
Also downloaded the Android based remote app, which also works perfectly. In all am quite happy with the receiver.

sir is it onkyo 708 or 709 ?

:rolleyes::confused: ... fulfilling all the 4 most sought-after requirements, and/BUT still looking for a change?!!

'The only constant in life is change.'

All that aside, the Onkyo 875 is a monster and needs lot of place to breathe. My AV rack is jammed with stuff, and I am looking at adding a separate 2 channel amp. Thus looking at replacing the AVR.

Cheers

Guys sorry for replying late...I'm not a pro like many of u guys, so my answers may not be technically worded.
Venkat: With regards to power, vocals and base, I found the Marantz to be superior. A specific comparison I can quote is hearing Hotel California(Eagles) in the Marantz gave some tight and thumping base as compared to the Onkyo which I had found to be missing that bit.

Murlidher: It's paired with
Dali Ikon 6 Towers
Dali Vokal 2 Center
B&W M1 surrounds
B&W ASW 610 Subwoofer
Will post pics in a few days...

Karthi its a 708...

Cheers and happy listening...

Can you be a little more detailed? I am looking at replacing my Onkyo 875 with one from Denon, Marantz, or even Pioneer - something like the LX series.

When I did an audition a few years ago, I settled on Onkyo as (to me ears) they sounded the best. What I liked about the Onkyo were the following:

1. Never ran out of juice. Seemed to always have reserve power.
2. Separation of dialogues and other sounds was very clear. Never needed subtitles to understand.
3. Did not seem to push or emphasize bass. Secondly bass always died quickly with no echos. I used the bombing scenes from Battle Of Britain extensively for my audience.
4. Fulfilled my need for music listening also. I just love the sound of music that the Onkyo 875 gives me.

Essentially your comments on the same topics will be welcome - power, dialogue delivery. bass management, and sound of music.

Thanks
I have not tried with marantz 09 series,but earlier models (6006,6008)are warm sounding unless paired them with correct speakers.They sound better with music than movies.Bass is not very fast and can sound odd/bloated with fronts speakers.Sound is bold and loud,but occasionally the attack in movies can be missing.
Heard Pioneer LX series which are better with movies.Also heard anthem once,but it was similar to Onkyo sound.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back