KDL55EX720 vs. KDL52XBR4

RajivG

I have a Sony KDL52XBR4 which has gone bad and under the warranty the seller is replacing it with a KDL55EX720. I am miffed at the fact that they are not replacing it with an XBR. I need some techniocal help urgently. If I can prove that the KDL55EX720 does not have any single feature (I suppose reasonably meaningful) that the KDL52XBR4 had, they will be required to either give me a refund OR offer a better TV than the KDL55EX720.

I am upset at their offer despite the several more bells and whistles that the KDL55EX720 has. When I bought the KDL52XBR4 I bought it for 4 reasons: (1) its PRO engine (it has a Bravia Engine Pro while the EX720 has the X-Reakity engine which is not its Pro version); (2) Its wide color gamut (XBR4 has WCG but I don't see that for the EX720); (3) its industrial design and quality of components (the XBR series has more Class A circuitry than the regular Sony series as well as the components are apparently of better quality); and (4) in general its appearance, pride of ownership etc. (it was the highest end when I bought it)

If somebody can comment on the above it would be great. Definitely the EX720 has a lot more features than the XBR4 but I am more concerned with the brains of the TV (picture engine being a PRO) and its color gamut (deeper and more natural colors)

Thx

Hey man :)

I would say insist on Sony to give at least either the HX729 or the HX820. And for a bit of extra money try and convince them to let you upgrade to the XBR HX929.

If you press hard for it, they will agree to at least the HX729 which is at least as good/ better TV than your XBR4.

The EX720 is superior with regards to picture quality,it also has much lower power consumption ,the XBR 4 has much better build quality ,sound quality and it also looks much more premium.

You could push for the HX72 series if not atleast ask for the NX72.

Thx guys ... I will still need some cogent arguments to build the case ... they tout features and I am firm on the build quality, the picture quality, etc. I picked up two reviews from CNET.com and HDTVReviewlab.com and both state that the EX picture quality is bad. this might help.

Hi,

I am also on the same boat as you. My 52 XBR4 went bad last week, I have 5 years extended warranty. They are offering 55 EX720 or value of EX720. I was hoping that they would give me at least the price of 55EX720 on Sonystyle.com so I can upgrade to XBR series by paying the difference amount but they are giving me the least price that they found on internet for the EX720 model.

can you let me know if you have gottent better model or price and how?

Any suggestions in this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back