KEF 3s or ?????

Rk11

Auditioned the KEF 3s, Polk Legend L200s and the KEF LS Metas a few days ago with 5 tracks of my choosing and thus far my rank ordering of these speakers is as noted. The KEF 3s are 16.6" x 7.9" x 13.2" and I could accommodate a 25" high speaker. Before I pull the trigger on this purchase, and I am in NO hurry to do this, I was wondering if there are any other competing speakers in this price class that I should consider? Currently, I am using my surround speakers - Monitor RS-1 Silvers as the main speakers, Vandersteen VCC-1 centre speaker, QB12 sub, Yamaha pre/pro and a 7 channel B&K s2 reference power amp (125w @ 8 ohms, all channels driven). Had Vandersteen 3As in the US but didn't bring them to India due to their size. If you could kindly send me your thoughts on [email protected], I would really appreciate it since that'll arrive in my email automatically or if you find it easier to post your response here, that'll be great as well. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sandip, thank you for your kind response. It's kinda 50-50. I was very happy with my set up in the US with the Vandersteen 3As (on lead shot and sand filled Vandersteen stands with spikes) in the front and centre, the Martin Logan Abyss (300W) and the Monitor RS-1s Silver (still have these) as my Surrounds. Since the Pre/Pro is capable of Dolby Atmos, I was planning on adding to my system but then decided to come back to India. While my listening room had large glass windows, the floor was carpeted. I was perfectly content with my setup for both Movies and Music. . Here my floor is Marble and there are a lot more hard surfaces. I don't like booming in-your-face speakers and hence Klipsch has never been high on my list but I would definitely consider adding another sub if the acoustics warranted it.

If I had said movies, what would you have suggested?

For movies and music alike you can look at numerous options. At a budget of KEF R3 you can have a look at below floorstanders if it works for you
kEF Q950, Qacoustics Concept 40 , XTZ Spirit 121, XTZ 95.44 and Focal Aria 926 at a higher budget. I preferred the Aria 926 and XTZ Spirit 1 for music and work equally good for movies too

Sandip, thank you for your kind response. It's kinda 50-50. I was very happy with my set up in the US with the Vandersteen 3As (on lead shot and sand filled Vandersteen stands with spikes) in the front and centre, the Martin Logan Abyss (300W) and the Monitor RS-1s Silver (still have these) as my Surrounds. Since the Pre/Pro is capable of Dolby Atmos, I was planning on adding to my system but then decided to come back to India. While my listening room had large glass windows, the floor was carpeted. I was perfectly content with my setup for both Movies and Music. . Here my floor is Marble and there are a lot more hard surfaces. I don't like booming in-your-face speakers and hence Klipsch has never been high on my list but I would definitely consider adding another sub if the acoustics warranted it.

If I had said movies, what would you have suggested?
Hi welcome to forum.

I will say if its only movies then elac b 2 series and denon 4000 series combo with sub should be end game for most of the people. If its music and movies you can go with r3 i have owned r3 bass is very good vocals are laid back and treble are little fwd but you need to be carefull in choosing amps and cables bcz r3 metal tweeter can get bright some time.

And if you decide to put sub in ur chain then ls50 meta will be a better option than r3.

Hi welcome to forum.

I will say if its only movies then elac b 2 series and denon 4000 series combo with sub should be end game for most of the people. If its music and movies you can go with r3 i have owned r3 bass is very good vocals are laid back and treble are little fwd but you need to be carefull in choosing amps and cables bcz r3 metal tweeter can get bright some time.

And if you decide to put sub in ur chain then ls50 meta will be a better option than r3.
Hi Lalit! Thank you for taking the time to respond. In my listening test I found the Metas to be a little too bright for my taste. I figure that if I get the most neutral sounding speakers, I can play around with the other parameters to get the most optimum sound for my tastes...

Hi Lalit! Thank you for taking the time to respond. In my listening test I found the Metas to be a little too bright for my taste. I figure that if I get the most neutral sounding speakers, I can play around with the other parameters to get the most optimum sound for my tastes...
Did you audition meta and r3 both?

r3s, polk ls200s and metas. Here is my original post on the subject

"Auditioned the KEF 3s, Polk Legend L200s and the KEF LS Metas a few days ago with 5 tracks of my choosing and thus far my rank ordering of these speakers is as noted. The KEF 3s are 16.6" x 7.9" x 13.2" and I could accommodate a 25" high speaker. Before I pull the trigger on this purchase, and I am in NO hurry to do this, I was wondering if there are any other competing speakers in this price class that I should consider? Currently, I am using my surround speakers - Monitor RS-1 Silvers as the main speakers, Vandersteen VCC-1 centre speaker, QB12 sub, Yamaha pre/pro and a 7 channel B&K s2 reference power amp (125w @ 8 ohms, all channels driven). Had Vandersteen 3As in the US but didn't bring them to India due to their size. If you could kindly send me your thoughts on [email protected], I would really appreciate it since that'll arrive in my email automatically or if you find it easier to post your response here, that'll be great as well. Thanks in advance for your help!"

..KEF 3s, Polk Legend L200s and the KEF LS Metas ...my rank ...as noted. ...if there are any other competing speakers in this price class that I should consider?..
From the listed, Kef R3 appears to be the most promising.
You could also have a look at the Harbeth P3ESR, B&W 706 S2, Totem Sky, Buchardt S400, MartinLogan 35XTi, etc.

Regardless of your choice, system integration is the key factor that often yields better results than individual star components.

Monitor RS-1 Silvers as the main speakers, Vandersteen VCC-1 centre speaker, QB12 sub, Yamaha pre/pro and a 7 channel B&K s2 reference power amp
You mentioned an assortment of brands/models and I'm sure you are doing your best to integrate them well. Good luck.

From the listed, Kef R3 appears to be the most promising.
You could also have a look at the Harbeth P3ESR, B&W 706 S2, Totem Sky, Buchardt S400, MartinLogan 35XTi, etc.

Regardless of your choice, system integration is the key factor that often yields better results than individual star components.

You mentioned an assortment of brands/models and I'm sure you are doing your best to integrate them well. Good luck.
Thx

I have heard the R3, L200 and the LS50 Meta (Active)
Among the three, if your usage is mixed for movies and music, R3 would be the better one.
KEF R3
Strengths: well rounded sound signature, good bass driver integration, good vocals/mids, will work as HT fronts
Weakness: treble can be a bit forward sounding, needs a bit of power from amp to make them shine
L200
Strengths: surprisingly good amount of bass, balanced HFs, will definitely work as HT fronts
Weakness: recessed vocals/mids, 4 ohm nominal
LS50 Meta (based on LS50 and LS50-Meta Active)
Strengths: great as a studio monitor, very transparent
Weakness: not designed for low bass response, needs trial and error on amp matching

KEF house sound can get tiring for some ears. As others have suggested, please audition other brands since you are not in a hurry

Cheers,
Raghu

Thx Raghu! Unfortunately, in Bangalore, I can't find too many places that a) carry the stuff I want b) are setup for A/B comparisons. As an example, I wanted to hear the Wharfedale Lintons, but no one seems to have them?? Due to space and listening limitations, I am somewhat resigned to stand mounted models and thereby feel constrained in my search. If you have any ideas, please do share them? I do need to go to the US on a biz issue ASAP, so one option might be to do all my listening there?

Thx Raghu! Unfortunately, in Bangalore, I can't find too many places that a) carry the stuff I want b) are setup for A/B comparisons. As an example, I wanted to hear the Wharfedale Lintons, but no one seems to have them?? Due to space and listening limitations, I am somewhat resigned to stand mounted models and thereby feel constrained in my search. If you have any ideas, please do share them? I do need to go to the US on a biz issue ASAP, so one option might be to do all my listening there?
It is difficult to audition locally, let alone expect A/B comparisons.
If you have the opportunity to listen to a wider variety in US, you should.
Cheers,
Raghu

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back