Kef LS50 Wireless - my review of sorts

Any suggestions for a best pairing CDP for KEF lS50W? I felt LS50W is bit bright to my listening so I am looking for something to compliment this character but open for any suggestions. The CDs are mostly Raja's songs from 70s, 80s and 90s. Later additions planned are Network Player. MP3 streaming from ROON is better than my earlier setup but still I miss the expansive CDP music (Remastered copies from Raja Digital).

I felt LS50W is bit bright to my listening so I am looking for something to compliment this character but open for any suggestions. The CDs are mostly Raja's songs from 70s, 80s and 90s.

Haven't heard the LS50W, but the brightness most likely is from the original mastering (based on talking to someone that was involved with Raja's recordings). A bit of mid/upper EQ might help tame it.

Haven't heard the LS50W, but the brightness most likely is from the original mastering (based on talking to someone that was involved with Raja's recordings). A bit of mid/upper EQ might help tame it.

Thats exactly what I am doing. Now i dont have a CDP so playing all MP3s over ROON. When I play Raja I set the EQ to tame the brightness. But what made me wonder is the detailing out of poor recorded MP3s of 90'. People say the DAC inside LS50W is the weeklink. May be they compare with much higher configuration. When I compare with music setups of similar price range what I had, KEF outsmarts to far extended levels.

@arivuchelvan The LS50 more neutral than most speakers around at that price, I actually second what @liverpool_for_life says in the last post.

This morning I played some ilayaraja recordings and found them to have extended treble, compared to newer recordings like the soundtrack of 96 movie and the like.
May be my listening oreintation gives that impression. I felt brightness almost all the songs i played(pink floyd, mancini etc). I had K signature series marantz amp (boston acoustic speaker) as well that felt more mundane to me. Kef though more entertaining than any other setup i had before

Rajeshh,

Can you try playing off of the IlayaRaja Official channel on YouTube? I found that much more listenable.
Here is my question again. Considering the fact ls50w is more true to its source i need a better intermediate for CDs, MP3s and youtube sources. Right now it is a CDP i am looking for. Any suggestions.. i am craving...

CD player will make sense only if you have sizeable CD collection. Also, a good CDP will not come cheap so allocate a good budget for the same.

Rajeshh,

Can you try playing off of the IlayaRaja Official channel on YouTube? I found that much more listenable.

@liverpool_for_life My primary source is Master quality FLAC streams from Tidal, some of Iliaraja's albums are quite bright/hot from Tidal. Tried youtube, the quality is not that good - soundstage shrinks etc.,
Forum member @Kannan shared some Flac files, I found the quality brilliant, it sounded way better than anything I've heard for other sources., if you can get your hands on the FLAC masters, there is really nothing that can compare.

Thats exactly what I am doing. Now i dont have a CDP so playing all MP3s over ROON. When I play Raja I set the EQ to tame the brightness. But what made me wonder is the detailing out of poor recorded MP3s of 90'. People say the DAC inside LS50W is the weeklink. May be they compare with much higher configuration. When I compare with music setups of similar price range what I had, KEF outsmarts to far extended levels.

My suggestion is to get a good source that can pass high quality digital signal to the Kefs DAC & is also a Roon end point. I will point towards the AlloUSB bridge.
Im fairly convinced that with a clean signal the KEF's DAC will be able to perform well.

@liverpool_for_life My primary source is Master quality FLAC streams from Tidal, some of Iliaraja's albums are quite bright/hot from Tidal. Tried youtube, the quality is not that good - soundstage shrinks etc.,
Forum member @Kannan shared some Flac files, I found the quality brilliant, it sounded way better than anything I've heard for other sources., if you can get your hands on the FLAC masters, there is really nothing that can compare.
You mean Tidal hi fi? Is there any way can we get hold of flac master copies for raja songs?

My suggestion is to get a good source that can pass high quality digital signal to the Kefs DAC & is also a Roon end point. I will point towards the AlloUSB bridge.
Im fairly convinced that with a clean signal the KEF's DAC will be able to perform well.
When playing from harddisk usb should be the best route. Considering the play list assorted with Tidal streams and harddisk in my case i prefer wifi thru Roon, as tidal stream excels over wifi when played in ls50w

Look at Naim CD5i then
I see mixed reviews on CD5i comparing with CD5. Lets say I have a choice of Marantz HD-CD1, SA8005, Naim (5i-2, 5-if available) then which one goes best with LS50w? considering the fact it will be purely to play CDs, and ofcourse the sonic supremacy. No other features should be a concern.

I revolve around Marantz because of my previous exposure to Marantz amps, CDPs and my very first Philips Player manufacured during the period they own Marantz. I liked the sound signature. how much ever a lower configuration I go for the Marantz source always had an edge to impress me. Thats my bias. But now I want to explore other options too.

I see mixed reviews on CD5i comparing with CD5. Lets say I have a choice of Marantz HD-CD1, SA8005, Naim (5i-2, 5-if available) then which one goes best with LS50w? considering the fact it will be purely to play CDs, and ofcourse the sonic supremacy. No other features should be a concern.

I revolve around Marantz because of my previous exposure to Marantz amps, CDPs and my very first Philips Player manufacured during the period they own Marantz. I liked the sound signature. how much ever a lower configuration I go for the Marantz source always had an edge to impress me. Thats my bias. But now I want to explore other options too.
If you are well versed with Marantz, then stick with it. If you want a different presentation which most also feel as a substantial jump from Marantz then look at Naim. No other CDP's are worth considering, except for Denon higher series which again you might like or not, so audition will be best way to go. BTW, are you planning to bring from abroad? If, yes then pls do demo all of the options for getting best understanding of the sonics of each. Which will go best with your speakers, ideally can only be answered in your room!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back