Kef ls50-wireless

Percy123

I am am buying the kef ls 50 wireless speakers. Anyone who's had personal experience with these and want to point out anything not apparent from internet research would be most welcome.

Are you buying them new?

The most obvious thing that they don't tell you is that the in built dac is not that great.

The soundstage is amazing but I didn't find the level of detail/resolution to be that great.

Ive owned them.
They are great speakers. Heavy stands are a must, if you place them on a desk, make sure the desk is heavy and try to get something like the ISOAcoustics isolation stands.
After from that, id probably look for a separate DAC or a music streamer with built in DAC., if you want to fully take advantage of what the LS50W is capable of doing.
The DAC is the weak-link in an otherwise fantastic package.

Are you buying them new?

The most obvious thing that they don't tell you is that the in built dac is not that great.

The soundstage is amazing but I didn't find the level of detail/resolution to be that great.
Would you go with the passive instead of the active? If yes, would the nad c368 with MDC bluos be sufficient?

Ive owned them.
They are great speakers. Heavy stands are a must, if you place them on a desk, make sure the desk is heavy and try to get something like the ISOAcoustics isolation stands.
After from that, id probably look for a separate DAC or a music streamer with built in DAC., if you want to fully take advantage of what the LS50W is capable of doing.
The DAC is the weak-link in an otherwise fantastic package.
Would you go with the passive instead of the active? If yes, would the nad c368 with MDC bluos be sufficient?

No I don’t like the passives that much. The amplifier pairing in the actives is much better.

I auditioned the passive version with a schiit modi and schiit vidar power amp along with the sys as volume control.

I also heard it with the rega Brio r.

Thanks. Can I directly attach an external hard disc via usb to the speakers? Or only a computer can be attached?

Passives are very good, but they are demanding and need very good amplification to sound their best, think the likes of at-least Naim Supernait 2, Rega Elex-R, Wyred4sound MINT, Peachtree Nova150/300. Out of this my pick would be the Peachtree Nova because its DAC, just like its amplification is excellent. Rega/NAIM does not have a DAC.
You will realise that these Amps are expensive. Thats why i believe that the amplification in the Actives are quite a bargain for the price. You can add a DAC later if you want.
I don't like the new NADs, my Kef dealer pairs them by default during auditions and i always ask him to change it. Then again its a personal preference.

Thanks. Can I directly attach an external hard disc via usb to the speakers? Or only a computer can be attached?

No, the USB is only for USB audio.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back