Kef Reference 1

Nice review Sid.
I have the R300. Looks and UniQ philosophy seem clearly borrowed; technology and materials may be very different though.
Sound wise no comparison as I have not heard the Reference 1.
But I can relate to your experience w.r.t sound stage, pin point imaging and brutal neutrality.
If R300 comes your way, would like to hear your views as compared to the Reference.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks Raghu. Yes these are exceptional speakers w.r.t imaging focus - perhaps the best I have heard in my room so far. I will let you know what I think of the r300 if I do get to audition/review them.
Cheers,
Sid

In the country of origin (UK) these are GBP4500 (INR4.5L). So the rest of the pricing components are taxes and D&D related.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hmmm....A Honda CBR 250/300R bike that retails for 4,500 GBP in UK, retails in India for Less than 2 Lacs...

The equation seems to be completely blown :)

Anyways no comments on pricing... Juz quoting the above reference as example...

Hmmm....A Honda CBR 250/300R bike that retails for 4,500 GBP in UK, retails in India for Less than 2 Lacs...

good one :D

Maybe UK does not want biker related incidents/accidents that put a monetary strain on the National Health Insurance; so the tax is more.
Singapore wants less private cars, so they tax them heavily.
Maybe India wants to tax heavy spenders on AV equipment so that they can put a mobile into every person's reach.
Taxation never follows equations and logic; if it did, it would struggle to explain it own existence.
Economics as a subject is very fascinating; it borrows heavily from social sciences and then uses mathematics to what may seem a total perversion of logic.
Anyways, we in India will not see lower taxation for AV equipment since the govt needs this money for social spending; not a bad idea on paper.

Cheers,
Raghu

Sid,
In your review you mention that you fiddled around with the Flexible Port Tech. If placed close to rear walls (say 15-18 inches), did they really misbehave.
The R300s exhibit Jekyll and Hyde behavior. I tried the foam bungs that come with the unit but could not get them to work satisfactorily.
Currently, I have the back of the speaker at about 24" from back wall; side walls are not there in my listening space. Only then can I get these puppies to behave properly.

Cheers,
Raghu

Raghu, I tried positioning them with long port tubes at about 22" or so. They did not sound particularly bad in low frequencies, however I felt soundstage depth diminished greatly. Ultimately the best performance in my room was at 44-45" away with the short port tubes. I would imagine each room will interact with these differently based on various factors, but in my room most speakers have performed best when pulled out and these were no exception. I think one has to consider a minimum of 2.5 feet from the wall behind for these to perform optimally - especially if one desires the beautiful, layered soundstage that these are capable of displaying.
Cheers,
Sid

In the country of origin (UK) these are GBP4500 (INR4.5L). So the rest of the pricing components are taxes and D&D related.

Cheers,
Raghu

UK Price includes a VAT and the dealer margins... Pro FX should be getting distributor prices on which they pay customs.... Also dealers need to have it on demo to earn their margins... Most of the dealers do not stock it and want to earn margins without demoing the product....

Anyways, it's quite expensive for what it does...Does the dealer in Delhi have one for demo?

There are many products which are more affordable but which need a review as well.

IMO - RS 8.5L is waaaaaaay out of scale for a reasonable buyer -if the MRP in UK is 4500 pounds.

regards

There are many products which are more affordable but which need a review as well.
regards

I agree, however can you provide names of any of the dealers/distributors of these products who has a demo model that they can provide for a review. In my experience there are very few D&D's in India who can provide any equipment let alone affordable ones for reviews/demos. They just don't simply stock them.
It was our goal when we started Hifitoday.com, to try and review equipment at the 2 lac and below level, but it has been very difficult to get equipment limited to this level. I have been in touch with over 20 D&D's but have not been very successful. Anyways we will strive to get more affordable equipment, but we will also, on ocassion, review the higher priced products as well. Regarding the pricing of products relative to market of origin or US etc., I will not debate, ultimately it is the prerogative of the D&D and the buyer who will decide if it is for him or not.
Cheers,
Sid

Pricing AV products in India seems quite funny - to say the least!

If the D&D price them at stratospherical levels to start with (and offer discounts later), they may well force many a buyer 'away' than attract if they had them more 'reasonable'

Any D&D who can price products at 'related international prices' (i.e his international distributor price + shipping + customs + decent margin) would definitely grow his business.

On the contrary, one 'reputed' Indian speaker manufacturer tried to convince me that he is 'forced' to jack up his prices to keep them 'on par' with 'best speakers available internationally' :( :( He was very disappointed with his Indian market share but I tried reasoning him to keep it more realistic (in his case, the reverse should hold good I.e international price - international D&D margin - customs - shipping) to not lose it completely.

I agree, however can you provide names of any of the dealers/distributors of these products who has a demo model that they can provide for a review. In my experience there are very few D&D's in India who can provide any equipment let alone affordable ones for reviews/demos. They just don't simply stock them.
It was our goal when we started Hifitoday.com, to try and review equipment at the 2 lac and below level, but it has been very difficult to get equipment limited to this level. I have been in touch with over 20 D&D's but have not been very successful. Anyways we will strive to get more affordable equipment, but we will also, on ocassion, review the higher priced products as well. Regarding the pricing of products relative to market of origin or US etc., I will not debate, ultimately it is the prerogative of the D&D and the buyer who will decide if it is for him or not.
Cheers,
Sid

I know you people have been doing a great job in taking the efforts to source material for review :thumbsup:

Anything more than 50K is juz out of reach for many budding enthusiast..

But hifimart.com... Bunch of affordable products available which the most majority of the crowd can afford... (Taga Harmony, Wharfedale, Sonodyne to name a few)

Plz review one such affordable product at least a month with common equipment that FM's use....

I know you people have been doing a great job in taking the efforts to source material for review :thumbsup:

Anything more than 50K is juz out of reach for many budding enthusiast..

But hifimart.com... Bunch of affordable products available which the most majority of the crowd can afford... (Taga Harmony, Wharfedale, Sonodyne to name a few)

Plz review one such affordable product at least a month with common equipment that FM's use....

we will try elangoas. we have done 2 recent reviews of 50k eqpt. The castle and the heco. we will plan a few more.

Cheers,
Sid

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back