Kef Speaker Owners

Got my Q350's yesterday. After much deliberation went with Cambridge AXR85 to partner with the Kef. Initial impressions are very positive. Thumping bass, neutral to slightly warm mids, smooth and clear highs. Soundstage extends well beyond the width of the speakers and the center image feels like it is from a few feet behind the speakers.

The main highlight of the speakers for me is their ability to blend in and disappear. There is a very clear and defined center image, the vocals come from the center while the instruments, drums, cymbals, et all fill up the space around the center image. Its like a glorious wall of music rather than sound coming from surround channels. Overall a very musical combo, something which I can, and have listened for hours without a break.

Only con I can think of right now is that these speakers are extremely sensitive to positioning. Adjust the toe in or positioning an inch either way and the center image drifts.

Got my Q350's yesterday. After much deliberation went with Cambridge AXR85 to partner with the Kef. Initial impressions are very positive. Thumping bass, neutral to slightly warm mids, smooth and clear highs. Soundstage extends well beyond the width of the speakers and the center image feels like it is from a few feet behind the speakers.
I was listening to them a couple of hours back and despite having logged quite a few hours on them, i often find myself marvelling at their depth of soundstage.
The main highlight of the speakers for me is their ability to blend in and disappear. There is a very clear and defined center image, the vocals come from the center while the instruments, drums, cymbals, et all fill up the space around the center image. Its like a glorious wall of music rather than sound coming from surround channels. Overall a very musical combo, something which I can, and have listened for hours without a break.
True that. Unlike the popular perception of Kef, these are very forgiving and not bright.
Only con I can think of right now is that these speakers are extremely sensitive to positioning. Adjust the toe in or positioning an inch either way and the center image drifts.
That'll be the case with most speakers, at least in the budget segment to my knowledge.

I was listening to them a couple of hours back and despite having logged quite a few hours on them, i often find myself marvelling at their depth of soundstage.

True that. Unlike the popular perception of Kef, these are very forgiving and not bright.

That'll be the case with most speakers, at least in the budget segment to my knowledge.

I went in expecting a V shaped sound signature with good bass and piercing highs. Well, the first part is true, there is a good amount of bass but the highs if anything are a touch on the tame side of things. There is a lot of clarity and detail, but its never harsh or piercing. I am curious as to why Kef's have a reputation for being bright. Maybe there are other models which are bright, or people pair them with bright sounding electronics.

And yeah, my con isn't much of a con. There no reason to mess with the speaker placement once everything is set.

I had vintage KEF 103.2 Reference sealed large bookshelf speakers. Cabinets got damaged so measured them, kept the drivers & crossover & threw away the cabs. Planning to call in a carpenter soon to build new enclosures.

As far as the sound goes, these were on the warmer side of neutral. Fuller & natural sounding. Very nice imaging. These KEFs used to disappear while playing music. Had a nice wood veneer too.

Amp recommendation for Q950 please ....

Kef's from my experience are slightly warm to neutral speakers with a forward presentation. They can be pretty transparent and reveals the characteristics of the source gear. I would say go for an amp that aligns with your tastes in music.

Amp recommendation for Q950 please ....
From my experience, KEF plays well with Marantz gear. If you want to go the HT route and add more speakers at a later date(which you absolutely should cuz you'll have the awesome 650c centre channel), a Marantz SR60xx or above will do justice to it. Heck, it even sounds fantastic with a PM6006. Currently running the Q350s through a Cambridge Audio CXA81/Marantz SR6013/ Marantz PM6006/Crown XLS1502.

What's your budget though?

i have used kef reference 105/3 with denon mono blocks and its very sweet sounding speakers.

Denon goes well with KEF. So does Marantz which is from the same stable. I use KEF Q7 fronts, Q5 rears, Q9C centre with Denon AVR 3803 from 2004. No issues and awesome synergy.

I currently have Marantz SR 5013 running Wharfedale Diamond 220,225 & center and Rythmik LV12F Subwoofer .... ( Didn't like the warm sound of Wharfedale & it lacked bass )

Am looking for an Integrated amp for Q950s .... It should have very good bass & punchy for music .....

From my experience, KEF plays well with Marantz gear. If you want to go the HT route and add more speakers at a later date(which you absolutely should cuz you'll have the awesome 650c centre channel), a Marantz SR60xx or above will do justice to it. Heck, it even sounds fantastic with a PM6006. Currently running the Q350s through a Cambridge Audio CXA81/Marantz SR6013/ Marantz PM6006/Crown XLS1502.

What's your budget though?
Using Crown xls1502 for running what ?

Can Cxa 81 run Q950?

For running the KEF Q350s from time to time.

Well, the sensitivity of the KEF Q350 is 87db and the CXA81 runs it just fine whereas that of the Q950 is 91db so i imagine it'll be much easier to drive.
Have you tried any other amps that made Q350's really shine

Have you tried any other amps that made Q350's really shine
Nothing else with the KEF Q350 besides the CXA81 in the same range. You could consider the Roksan K3 if you want to double up. Otherwise, going out on a limb, since the KEF Q350s sound great with the Marantz PM6006, you could try the Marantz PM8006 which is available for a fantastic price on hifimart currently.

Nothing else with the KEF Q350 besides the CXA81 in the same range. You could consider the Roksan K3 if you want to double up. Otherwise, going out on a limb, since the KEF Q350s sound great with the Marantz PM6006, you could try the Marantz PM8006 which is available for a fantastic price on hifimart currently.
How is the bass from Marantz ...

And how is the bass with crown ....

Which one produces deep bass Marantz or crown while running kef q350 ?

How is the bass from Marantz ...

And how is the bass with crown ....

Which one produces deep bass Marantz or crown while running kef q350 ?
Marantz. It's the better amp to my ears. The mid range is fuller and the bass can be tweaked to ones preference.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back