Kef Speaker Owners

I picked up pre-owned KEF R3 recently and they sound amazing. Extremely happy with these beautiful sounding pair of speakers.
If you like KEF house sound, R3 captures it well in a nice small form factor.
More you play with the electronics behind it, any small niggles will be ironed out.
I have R300 the previous iteration. They are good but R3, I feel are definitely better than R300.

Enjoy!!

Cheers,
Raghu

If you like KEF house sound, R3 captures it well in a nice small form factor.
More you play with the electronics behind it, any small niggles will be ironed out.
I have R300 the previous iteration. They are good but R3, I feel are definitely better than R300.

Enjoy!!

Cheers,
Raghu
I'm currently running it with my AVR, SR 5015. Maybe in future I'll add Integrated Amp or something to enhance this setup further.
As of now, I'll be enjoying my R3s.
Yeah, I was using Q150 as my LCR before R3 and love KEF sound. Currently Q150s are my surrounds.

I'm currently running it with my AVR, SR 5015. Maybe in future I'll add Integrated Amp or something to enhance this setup further.
As of now, I'll be enjoying my R3s.
Yeah, I was using Q150 as my LCR before R3 and love KEF sound. Currently Q150s are my surrounds.
Nice!!
One thing I noticed when pairing up with my AVR for 2-ch music.
Source direct does not sound good. Engage the tone controls for a better experience.
YMMV

Cheers,
Raghu

Nice!!
One thing I noticed when pairing up with my AVR for 2-ch music.
Source direct does not sound good. Engage the tone controls for a better experience.
YMMV

Cheers,
Raghu
Can you shed more light on this? I have always felt Pure direct sounds best.

On the Marantz NR1605 AVR and PM7001 IA, I felt the source-direct or pure-direct option sounded lean and lifeless.
Stereo mode on AVR sounded better to my ears. I did play around with EQ in the early days when testing out the SQ.
I don't use AVR for music anyways. Other components do the music job. PM7001 has been hosted in my boy's room.

As I said earlier, YMMV.

Cheers,
Raghu

I was using this setup with Yamaha RX v485 before the SR5015, the sound improved significantly after this upgrade. I feel there's still more I can eek out of the Q150s with a more powerful amp.
Would love to see more experiences with the Kefs.
Anyone using the Q550/Q750/Q950 or the R series, how's the experience with them?
I'm using kef q750 with marantz sr5015 and I wonder does this pair is ideal. It's sound pretty cool but I guess the marantz sr7015 will be a perfect match with this babies.

I'm using kef q750 with marantz sr5015 and I wonder does this pair is ideal. It's sound pretty cool but I guess the marantz sr7015 will be a perfect match with this babies.
I have upgraded to Kef R3s and I’m surprised the quality of sound I’m still getting with the SR5015. I’m going to add R2C center in a week or so and have the Q150s as surrounds and Polk RC6i for atmos. It’s all working well so far. Will plan to add a 3 channel PA in few months.

Will plan to add a 3 channel PA in few months
If possible, get a 5 channel power amp. I have a feeling that the channels without external amplification will bring down the channels with external amplification down to it's level during Audyssey calibration. A random thought, if you get a 3 channel amp, try it out with the center and the two rear surround channels too and see which you like better. I know it's unconventional, but in my opinion, the most effects in movies that you will notice are the center, rear surround and sub. Of course, this will mean that you will miss out on external amplification for two channel music. So, ff you listen to a lot of music, then this is not an ideal setup.

Edit: Seeing that you have the R3's, I guess the rear surround amplification experiment is best avoided.

Last edited:
If possible, get a 5 channel power amp. I have a feeling that the channels without external amplification will bring down the channels with external amplification down to it's level during Audyssey calibration. A random thought, if you get a 3 channel amp, try it out with the center and the two rear surround channels too and see which you like better. I know it's unconventional, but in my opinion, the most effects in movies that you will notice are the center, rear surround and sub. Of course, this will mean that you will miss out on external amplification for two channel music. So, ff you listen to a lot of music, then this is not an ideal setup.

Edit: Seeing that you have the R3's, I guess the rear surround amplification experiment is best avoided.
Yeah planning to do the 3 channel. Before that would like to borrow PA from anyone willing for me to try in my circle and see how it impacts the sound and then pick one up.

Few months back I got Kef Q150 for my desktop setup, but they had the usual black color and no grills.
Decided to spice things up, vinyl wrapped them in Red, added a jute grill with small magnets to keep them covered.
Let me know how you like the end result.

20220809_003434.jpg

20220809_003616.jpg

20220809_003510.jpg

20220809_003638.jpg

20220809_003521.jpg

20220809_003628.jpg

Looks cool. How much did it cost ? I may give this a shot. its quiet pleasing to see

I did it myself, got thr vinyl from Amazon.
But would suggest take your speakers to a person who knows vinyl wrapping. Should be cheap around 500rs.

Had jute roll and small magnets at home so it did not cost much.

But would suggest take your speakers to a person who knows vinyl wrapping. Should be cheap around 500rs.

Can you share the link from amazon, i am looking for a similar one for my speakers

I have used 2 different shades if you notice, front is matt red and the sides, top are gloss red.
Something like the new LSX II

https://amzn.to/3QvgJJf gloss red
https://amzn.to/3JNzJ3C matt red

This is how they looked earlier

View attachment 71136

Wondering how you perfectly managed to cut the sheet to expose the drivers, looks awesome!!.. so you have KEF Q150 special edition :).
These amount of bass these units generate is quite surprising..

Any KEF R3 owners ?
I liked the sound of the LS50 Meta (not the wireless version )

Are the R3s the same speakers but with better bass definition?

Any pointers would be appreciated… dealers here aren’t stocking the R3 for audi.

Any KEF R3 owners ?
I liked the sound of the LS50 Meta (not the wireless version )

Are the R3s the same speakers but with better bass definition?

Any pointers would be appreciated… dealers here aren’t stocking the R3 for audi.

I am using KEF R3 for a while now - they sound very good. I have also heard the Kef LS50 and the LS50 metas. While they are smooth and sweet sounding speakers, R3 are definitely better overall. The soundstage, imaging is a step up. In short they sound like towers. The issue with the LS50 is that they sound like small speakers. If you are planning to use them in a small room only for stereo, LS50 metas will be good. If you are going to use them in medium to large room, R3 will be a better pick.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back