Kenrick Sound

Nikhil

Staff member
Starting a discussion on Kenrick Sound, Japan - one of the premier "vintage" JBL restorers anywhere. Their work is simply amazing and Kenji Hosoi has a really nice Youtube channel to showcase their speakers. To fans of the old vintage JBL designs, this channel is a pure delight to see these speakers alive and kicking in pristine condition. I hope that others will enjoy following Kenrick Sound as much as I do.

Among other things these videos are also a wonderful insight into the Japanese culture and the high end community.

Great video showing speaker delivery and install. Those speakers are just gorgeous.

Hi,

Kenrick does amazing work. I have the drivers used in this system and will eventually get around to building something similar. In this system as per the Kenrick Facebook page the D130 is run full range and the 075 is brought in at 5/6 khz. Kenrick uses nickel autoformers in their crossovers.

Steve Guttenberg has some insights to share.

It is also interesting to see the number of horn and high efficiency loudspeakers in big cabinets that were on show at the Munich high end show recently.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

I had the pleasure of listening to the JBL Paragon in Singapore driven by Sun Audio amplifier and a TD124/ Denon 103 front end. Was a very enjoyable experience. The Paragons will not pass the "audiophile' standards of imaging, 20hz-20khz flat response, etc but they certainly make listening to music a truly enjoyable experience with effortless room filling sound.

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks for the thread Nikhil.

I picked up a pair of JBL 4425 studio monitors from a recording studio in Bengaluru, which sat idle for 10+ long years. But speakers had some issue, woofers needed re-foaming, tweeters worked fine. Cabinet is in good condition with only little signs of cosmetic wear, i am really lucky to get them in such a condition.
These speakers are time aligned, big and heavy with 12" woofer, and a Bi-Radial horn with a titanium diaphragm with edge-wound aluminium voice coil. I got them refoamed and cleaned the L-pads with De-Oxit, I finally got them singing. Both speaker grill frames are missing, planning to fabricate them soon.

Now my JBL 4425s are fully restored and back to their former glory. Today a clean pair of JBL 4425's are selling at $1500+ on ebay.

Regards,
Anil

007 My sys.jpg

I have heard the 4412, when paired with the right amplifier, they sound fantastic.
Get the chain wrong and they can kill your ears

I picked up a pair of JBL 4425 studio monitors from a recording studio in Bengaluru, which sat idle for 10+ long years. But speakers had some issue, woofers needed re-foaming, tweeters worked fine. Cabinet is in good condition with only little signs of cosmetic wear, i am really lucky to get them in such a condition.
These speakers are time aligned, big and heavy with 12" woofer, and a Bi-Radial horn with a titanium diaphragm with edge-wound aluminium voice coil. I got them refoamed and cleaned the L-pads with De-Oxit, I finally got them singing. Both speaker grill frames are missing, planning to fabricate them soon.

Now my JBL 4425s are fully restored and back to their former glory. Today a clean pair of JBL 4425's are selling at $1500+ on ebay.

Regards,
Anil

007-my-sys-jpg.29174

Congratulations Anil!

Your JBL's look fantastic. There is just something classy about a JBL.
I hope that you enjoy years of listening pleasure with your 4425s

Regards.

Hi,

Tannoy York cabinets had a few variations during production. A few were aperiodic loaded, most were ported and very few were built with with the strip of wood in front of the HF driver. It is interesting that Kenrick chose to go with the strip of wood in front of the HF driver.

The HF is not the best attribute of the classic Dual Concentric drivers. (I have 15 inch Monitor Golds) It is a bit on the spitty/tizzy side,and can get Tannoying at times. Is this the reason Kenrick opted to have the wooden strut in front of the HF driver to ameliorate the tizzy HF?

Regards
Rajiv

The very definition of white glove delivery service.
And an interesting inside into Japanese audio ...

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back