Kerala Floods The worst one in the century pls help

At the local level where we are, friends were trying to organise some modest effort towards sending relief. Then someone shared a WhatsApp audio of some guy there on the ground saying those affected are very rich people and sending stuff like clothes and match boxes would make no sense. Though he did make the relevant point that post flood once waters receed lots of tradesmen would be needed to fix the plumbing , electricity etc.

Beware of fake news. There are lot of people now utilizing it in a political way. ITS NOT TRUE THAT ONLY RICH ARE AFFECTED. Most of them are middle class and poor people. I am from Kerala, many of my relatives have got trouble with their houses. One of the my cousin is not reachable for the past 5 days. Please dont stop donating on ANY GROUNDS, Also Coorg is now in the same danger, that place should not be ignored.

Hope our forum members from kerala are safe , there was a huge loss of life and property. My nearby town chalakudy was totally devastated by the overflowing river still there are people to be rescued . Most of the houses and house hold equipments were ruined .Many people lost houses they built with their entire life savings . I request all to contribute and don't believe in fake messages originated by people for utilising the situation for political milage .

And if you have not insured your house and household items please do it immediately we learned it in the hard way . We spend huge amounts to paint our houses but never bother about house insurance get a comprehensive coverage for your home and equipments it cost just couple of thousand rupees . People who have built/ bought house/ flats with bank loan will have insurance done by the bank as it's mandatory check if it covers natural calamities .

Soil deposited when the water came down

Attachments

• IMG-20180820-WA0118.jpg
    IMG-20180820-WA0118.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-20180820-WA0117.jpg
    IMG-20180820-WA0117.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-20180820-WA0116.jpg
    IMG-20180820-WA0116.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 18
Ok. So if someone wants to know why was there a Relief - discrediting message? This is why. BJP does not rule Kerala at the moment . The person who spread the whatsapp message is not a small shot. He is Suresh Kochattil, whose details can be found here : https://www.deccanchronicle.com/140...article/understanding-how-namo-brand-was-made

By weakening the Kerala's relief fund from other state, they can create the need of someone other than the current ruling party in Kerala. its not sure if it was his idea or the people behind him. I am a politically neutral person. I dont like any parties in India. But this is a dirty game every party plays. I wish all political leaders were send to an island where they can fight against each other so that normal people wont suffer.

[QUOTE="hifitoaster, post: 787847], member: I wish all political leaders were send to an island where they can fight against each other so that normal people wont suffer.[/QUOTE]

Agree

Then someone shared a WhatsApp audio of some guy there on the ground saying those affected are very rich people and sending stuff like clothes and match boxes would make no sense.
Don't fall for fake News ; it's basically one Party IT Cell vs Other Party IT cell, because in a calamity like this, rescue efforts are always going to fall short.. The Politicians just want to save skin by blaming each other. Nobody wants to take voters wrath later. There's one more news showing how meager Kerala helped During Uttarakhand Floods, these should not deter us from helping Kerala at this point of time.

They Need Help, Donate to the Best You Can. Luckily people are not deterred by fake news much, and using their own acumen and help is pouring from all ends.

I wish all political leaders were send to an island where they can fight against each other so that normal people wont suffer.
Sadly the leaders are elected from general public like us only. We haven't matured as a democracy and our voting pattern is anything but rational.

We spend huge amounts to paint our houses but never bother about house insurance get a comprehensive coverage for your home and equipments it cost just couple of thousand rupees
I doubt home insurance covers against natural calamities like this, there's always a fine print putting a clause for not covering acts of God, acts of nature etc. They only cover accidental destruction, structures falling on their own, fire etc. I'm not sure, I was thinking about buying insurance few years ago, when someone told me about this.

Uttarakhand, Bihar, Chennai, Kashmir, Kerala, Kodagu.. the list is getting bigger year after year.
We Humans have been playing with the Nature for our Greed and no wonder, we are paying for that with our blood.

those who play with nature and those who pay for it are different...barring a few cases..

thats the sad thing..

those who play with nature and those who pay for it are different...barring a few cases..

thats the sad thing..
Ji...both are the same, homosapiens

Chennai is a classic example where most of the catchment areas have been conveted to real estate. Its ultimately vested interest and an unabated urbanisation leading to uncontrolled migration of population, which puts stress on the infrastructure.

Ji...both are the same, homosapiens

Chennai is a classic example where most of the catchment areas have been conveted to real estate. Its ultimately vested interest and an unabated urbanisation leading to uncontrolled migration of population, which puts stress on the infrastructure.
Velacherry, shozhinganalloor are big example..

I'm from Chennai, and was caught in the Dec 2015 floods at Defence Colony. Luckily, I was in a 2-storey house with a covered 3rd-floor landing as well, and we were able to move documents and minimal utensils and edibles quickly to the higher floors. Eventually, 6 people in total remained on the first floor until the Adyar river water receded after 36 hours, and we slept and remained there for almost 2 weeks. Almost everything downstairs, in the garage and two vehicles were fully immersed above roof level. Some lessons from this event:

1. Keep all your critical documents, bank passbooks, share certificates, computers, etc. safely upstairs. It will help you recover quicker after a disaster if your documents are intact. Otherwise, it takes *years* of work to get replacement documents. You can easily replace furniture, appliances, clothes and so on, but original documents are indispensable to get your life back in order.

2. Keep one bubble-top can of drinking water upstairs, along with dry edibles like biscuits and so on, the moment there is heavy rainfall and the likelihood of flooding. Even better to have one kerosene or gas stove upstairs for use in an emergency.

3. Have a rain-water harvesting setup on the top floor - it was a life saver for us. All the other sources of water were contaminated, and the tubewell was also flooded and contaminated. However, a roof on the top floor had an overflow pipe that allowed us to collect maybe several hundred litres of water whenever it rained over the next few weeks, and that water is potable in an emergency. If you have Chlorine tablets (Isocyanuric Acid) tablets, you can add one to a bucket of water to chlorinate it and drink it. Keep chlorine tablets safely away for use in an emergency - Chennai Corporation distributed a small quantity to residents after about 48 hours, but it's better to have a few in hand at all times.

4. if you have the time, disconnect the battery cables of vehicles the moment waters start entering the compound. A vehicle with a disconnected battery can be repaired with a bit of effort. If the battery remains connected, a lot of the electronic modules will be destroyed by electrolysis, and the repair costs will be prohibitive. The more the electronics, the lower the chance of a repair. One Ertiga was totaled, but a 2003 Wagon R was successfully repaired with the help of an expert independent Maruti mechanic. Cheap, simple cars can be repaired after a flooding, but expensive cars will likely be total losses.

5. Keep one LED lamp and one feature phone with a long battery life for emergencies. Smartphones will be dead within 12 hours due to dead batteries, but an old SMS-capable feature phone can retain battery life for a week or longer. I managed to keep my Nokia X2-01 going for about 9 days by switching it on and off, and using it mainly for sending/receiving SMSes (both for ourselves, and for marooned neighbours without working phones). We were lucky that there was one BSNL cell tower on high ground that remained operational throughout the flooding.

The long-term lessons are simple, but people will forget it quickly, within a few months: don't build residential habitations on flood plains of rivers, however small they may appear to be. Flood plains are often 10s of km in width - the Adyar river is normally about 100m wide, but its flood plain extends from Arumbakkam to Guindy National Forest, and includes almost all of Central Chennai. Every square inch has been built on over the last 80+ years without any regard for the possibility of extreme flooding. Floods are natural and cyclical, but flooding disasters like Chennai and Kerala are 100% man-made.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back