Khadas Tone Board (Windows 7) Query

Black_Hawk

Hello,

I just got the Khadas Tone Board (first one) and wanted to connect it to my music PC via USB. I have the KTB all cased up and I've bought a new set of RCA cables from Bluerigger to connect the KTB to my Edifier S1000DB's AUX ports.

My music PC runs Windows 7 (x64, Ultimate). Should I just connect the KTB via USB to my PC and then download the Thesycon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver-V224 as stated here in the link below:

Simple setup instructions for Khadas Tone Board installation

Is that all I need to do or are there any more steps I should follow?

Just to be on the safer side, install the driver before plugging in the USB card. The failure to do so can sometimes result in funny behavior such as Windows refusing to recognize your card.

Just to be on the safer side, install the driver before plugging in the USB card. The failure to do so can sometimes result in funny behavior such as Windows refusing to recognize your card.

Thank-you for sharing this information, really appreciate it. I'll do that.

Also, after installing the driver and connecting the KTB via USB to my PC should I also upgrade the Firmware to version V2.00 like how it's mentioned here:

Tone 1: Upgrade to the Official Khadas Firmware (v2.00)

Please kindly advice.

No, not immediately. Enjoy it for a while before jumping. In fact, you can avoid it.

I haven't looked closely, but this firmware upgrade is not like some mandatory "security patch". If you don't upgrade your firmware you lose/risk nothing. The said firmware upgrade will merely bring some cosmetic changes. No SQ upgrade for sure.

In fact I like to dissect the "whole driver package" and handpick only the parts that are "Really the drivers" and install it manually. That way I cut down on "manufacturer's bloatware. That helps with keeping the "Audio PC" nice, tight and light on foot.

But if yours is a general purpose computer and you don't care that much about the optimization feel free to upgrade the firmware.

so, after installing the driver and connecting the KTB via USB to my PC should I also upgrade the Firmware to version V2.00 like how it's mentioned here:

Tone 1: Upgrade to the Official Khadas Firmware (v2.00)

Please kindly advice.
Yes, you should upgrade since the upgrade also updates the driver and the ASIO control panel which has more settings.
So, no, the upgrade is not just "cosmetic" - there's no cosmetics to update in the first place.

Yes, you should upgrade since the upgrade also updates the driver and the ASIO control panel which has more settings.
So, no, the upgrade is not just "cosmetic" - there's no cosmetics to update in the first place.

Thank-you for your input, appreciate it.

So the process I should follow is as follows:

Install Drivers (V1.04)
Plug in KTB (via USB to PC)
Update Drivers to 2.00 following this guide: Tone 1: Upgrade to the Official Khadas Firmware (v2.00)

Correct?

I think you can skip step 1 [Install Drivers (V1.04)]

In that case I'll have to install v2.0 firmware directly but there is a small problem. If you go to the Official Khadas Tone Board Firmware download page here:

Tone Board - Firmware

You will see that there is a file named: Tone1_Firmware_V2.00_201016.zip listed there that is available for download. I downloaded it and it contains this file inside it:

Capture.jpg

As you can see the installation file for Firmware v2.0 is in .bin format. So, should I use something like PowerISO, mount the .bin file and then install it?

In that case I'll have to install v2.0 firmware directly but there is a small problem. If you go to the Official Khadas Tone Board Firmware download page here:

Tone Board - Firmware

You will see that there is a file named: Tone1_Firmware_V2.00_201016.zip listed there that is available for download. I downloaded it and it contains this file inside it:

Capture.jpg

As you can see the installation file for Firmware v2.0 is in .bin format. So, should I use something like PowerISO, mount the .bin file and then install it?
You need to upgrade the firmware using the DFU Tool. Follow instructions mentioned in this: https://www.khadas.com/post/tone1-upgrade-to-official-v2-firmware

Also, I think I was wrong when I said you could skip installing v.1.04 of the firmware - you will need to install it first.

You need to upgrade the firmware using the DFU Tool. Follow instructions mentioned in this: https://www.khadas.com/post/tone1-upgrade-to-official-v2-firmware

Also, I think I was wrong when I said you could skip installing v.1.04 of the firmware - you will need to install it first.

Right. Now if v1.04 is needed where can I find a direct link to v1.04 in the first place? Or, does the KTB come with pre-installed Firmware v1.04 by default out of the box?

Also, will I need to install Thesycon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver-V224 right at the start before I do anything for Windows 7 to be able to detect the KTB in the first place?

You can see here that a solution for no sound coming from the Tone Board is to install a driver and that's where the Thesycon Stereo USB Driver:

Khadas Tone1 Beginners FAQ

Right. Now if v1.04 is needed where can I find a direct link to v1.04 in the first place? Or, does the KTB come with pre-installed Firmware v1.04 by default out of the box?

Also, will I need to install Thesycon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver-V224 right at the start before I do anything for Windows 7 to be able to detect the KTB in the first place?

You can see here that a solution for no sound coming from the Tone Board is to install a driver and that's where the Thesycon Stereo USB Driver:

Khadas Tone1 Beginners FAQ
The firmware file for v1.04 is in the same place that you linked to 3 posts up.

Can you at least start doing stuff and ask questions when you encounter a problem or you're stuck somewhere?
Have you even plugged in the KTB? If not, I suggest you do that, get it working and then start firmware upgrades.

Last edited:
@keith_correa - is there any advantage in updating the firmware for exclusive use on Linux?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-06-09 Tone1 Upgrade to Khadas' Official v2 Firmware.png
    Screenshot_2021-06-09 Tone1 Upgrade to Khadas' Official v2 Firmware.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 16
Got the Tone Board installed!

Here's a brief breakup of the process I followed:

- Connected the KTB to my Music PC via USB. The board powered on just fine (damn that white power LED is bright!) but since my Music PC is running Window 7 (x64) although it did recognize a new USB device it sadly failed to install the drivers.

- I immediately installed the Thesycon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver from the link posted on this site: Thesycon Driver Link

- After installing the above Thesycon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver Windows 7 instantly recognized the KTB successfully and I was able to change my primary audio Playback device to the KTB (XMOS XS1-U8 MFA) in main Windows audio device, Foobar and JRiver MC.

- I played some music through JRiver and it worked flawless through the KTB (connected to my speakers via RCA cables on the AUX port).

- Next, I restarted PC and then it was finally time to update the KTB driver v1.04 to v2.00. I just followed this guide step by step: Tone 1: Upgrade to the Official Khadas Firmware (v2.00). Everything worked out seamlessly and I didn't face any hiccups at all. Restarted PC again post-updating the driver and voila KHADAS Audio Dashboard loaded up perfectly without any errors.

- Tested setup again by playing music through JRiver... perfect.

That was pretty much it! I'm a happy trooper. Time to listen to some Dire Straits now.

Thank-you everyone for contributing to this thread, appreciate it. Cheers! :)

- Connected the KTB to my Music PC via USB. The board powered on just fine (damn that white power LED is bright!) but since my Music PC is running Window 7 (x64) although it did recognize a new USB device it sadly failed to install the drivers.

- I immediately installed the Thesycon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver from the link posted on this site: Thesycon Driver Link

- After installing the above Thesycon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver Windows 7 instantly recognized the KTB successfully and I was able to change my primary audio Playback device to the KTB (XMOS XS1-U8 MFA) in main Windows audio device, Foobar and JRiver MC.

- I played some music through JRiver and it worked flawless through the KTB (connected to my speakers via RCA cables on the AUX port).

- Next, I restarted PC and then it was finally time to update the KTB driver v1.04 to v2.00. I just followed this guide step by step: Tone 1: Upgrade to the Official Khadas Firmware (v2.00). Everything worked out seamlessly and I didn't face any hiccups at all. Restarted PC again post-updating the driver and voila KHADAS Audio Dashboard loaded up perfectly without any errors.

That was pretty much it! I'm a happy trooper. Time to listen to some Dire Straits now.

Thank you for the detailed instructions. Followed the same and it was updated with ease.
Cheers!!!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back