Killer Offer? - Wharfedale 10 HCP with Onkyo TX-SR608

thekinge

Hi All,

I was about to purchase a Onkyo TX-SR876 with Diamond 9.5 / 9 CS / 9.1 (rear) / SW150 when one of the local dealers in Dubai, Sharaf DG offered me this package for 6000 AED / 72000 INR:

1. Onkyo TX-SR608
2. Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 FS pair for fronts (30-200W)
3. Diamond 10 CS centre speakers (20 - 150W)
4. Diamond 10.1 pair for surround (20 - 100W)
5. Diamond 10 GX sub (250W)

I really like the speaker package, but I am not sure about the AVR since it is only rated at 100W per channel at 6 ohms (especially compared SR876 which is rated at 140W).

Though 608 is a 2010 model and supports HDMI 1.4, there are few drawbacks compared to 876 like absence of HQV Reon upconversion and ISF calibration for each input. These are not major deal breakers for me compared to the power output. However, 10.7 seems to be fairly sensitive speakers at 90 DB so it should be easier to drive.

What do you guys think? Is this a good package? Would the 608 sufficiently power the Diamonds especially the 10.7? Or should I trade up 608 and buy 876 to drive the diamond 10 speakers?

Thanks,
thekinge

thekinge, if its for music, from what I have heard with the 606, it may not drive your floorstanders that well. But for that its always better to get a simple stereo amp, than spend more and more on an AVR. Else get a Marantz, Nad, CA AVR.
For movies, 608 would be very good, and 876 would be absolutely awesome. And there its the features the 876 offers over the 608 that comes into play.

Kinge, can you give the price of the wharfies only????
separately, as in fs, cs, etc.....
Thanks

Denom, when a deal is offered on a package, the dealer usually will not sell or even mention the prices of individual units. The speaker package, if bought separately, may actually cost more than 6000 DHS/AED.

Cheers

Last edited:
Denom, when a deal is offered on a package, the dealer usually will not sell or even mention the prices of individual units. The speaker package, if bought separately, may actually cost more than 6000 DHS/AED.

Cheers

True. However, I will get the prices of individual components and post it denom if that's useful for you.

Denom,

Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 FS - 3645 AED
Diamond 10.CS - 870 AED
Diamond 10.1 BS - 1024 AED
Diamond 10. GX Sub - 2488 AED

Onkyo TX-SR608 - 1999 AED

So if I were to buy it in retail, it is more than 10,000 AED. Good package deal I think!!

Would you be able to find out and let me know if similar package deal is available on Wharfedale Diamond 10 (even if it is without the receiver) in India and let me know the price?

-thekinge

Hi Kinge,

Thanks a lot for the price break up..... foll are prices of Diamond series in Mumbai,

10.7 FS - 54000/- (Diff of 10260/- compared to rate you gave)
10 CS - 13000/- (Diff of 2560/-)
10.1 BS - 15000/- (Diff of 2712/-)
10 GX SUB - 36000/- (Diff of 6144/-)

so only 10.7 FS price diff makes it worth....
these are rates declared by one of main wharfie dealers in mumbai, am sure one can negociate & bring them down further....

No idea of the Onkyo, but will chk its price & get back to you.....

Regards

Thanks for the prices denom.

I ended up purchasing the Onkyo TX-SR608 / Wharfedale 10.7 / 10.1 / 10.CS / 10 GX package today. The dealer sweetened the deal by reducing a further 500 AED to 5500 AED / 66000 INR. I think its an incredible deal by any means:yahoo:

And the dealer also gave me a free gift of a Bajaj electrical rice cooker!!:eek:

On a serious note, I am not quite happy with the pairing of Wharfedale 10.7 with Onkyo TX-SR608. For movies its ok, but for music the receiver does not do justice to the speakers. I will soon buy either the Onkyo TX-SR876 or Marantz SR7002.

I must add that this forum and venkatcr (who took the time to respond to a lot of my PMs) have been incredibly helpful in my quest to build a good ht / music system. Thanks a lot venkatcr & hifivision!

Last edited:
thekinge, if its for music, from what I have heard with the 606, it may not drive your floorstanders that well. But for that its always better to get a simple stereo amp, than spend more and more on an AVR. Else get a Marantz, Nad, CA AVR.
For movies, 608 would be very good, and 876 would be absolutely awesome. And there its the features the 876 offers over the 608 that comes into play.

Thanks iaudio, due to space constraints, I will not be in a position to have separate setup for stereo & home theater. For now, the receiver I purchase will have to do double duty. I anyway purchased the said package today since it was an incredible deal and it allows me the choice of separating out the 10.7 to a stereo setup in the future (after I move to a bigger apartment). However, I may swap out the 608 with a better receiver like Onkyo 876 or Marantz 7002

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back