Klipsch Heritage Series

Klipsch La Scala Lifestyle

La-Scala-Lifestyle-B.jpg

Have my eyes on this :) Someday if space permits!

beautiful !. Thanks for posting this. The only challenge with most of their speakers was their high frequencies used to run pretty hot...though not sure of they have changed it !

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. The only challenge with most of their speakers was their high frequencies used to run pretty hot...though not sure of they have changed it !

Arj,

Can you explain what you mean by this? Just curious.
Does it change the sound in terms of HF extension or the tweeters literally are hot to the touch?

Regards

Last edited:
Arj,

Can you explain what you mean by this? Just curious.
Does it change the sound in terms of HF extension or the tweeters literally are hot to the touch?

Regards

I meant sonically ie their metal tractrix horns are quite bright and if you do not have the right amp, it will scream in your ear. I had to put a small tissue paper on the tweeter to tame it. it used to be in the 2khz region which gave sibilance with neutral or bright amps. thats why you usually see it pared with dark sounding amps.

Not sure how the heritage range has been tweaked since though.

I meant sonically ie their metal tractrix horns are quite bright and if you do not have the right amp, it will scream in your ear. I had to put a small tissue paper on the tweeter to tame it. it used to be in the 2khz region which gave sibilance with neutral or bright amps. thats why you usually see it pared with dark sounding amps.

Not sure how the heritage range has been tweaked since though.

This was common problem with the mid to lower Klipsch models in the past. The tone also suffered due to this phenomenon. But these higher end models apparently do not have those problems according to reviewers. However if you are big into music that needs accurate tone as well as micro dynamics, then Klipsch won't be your first choice. But then such speakers wont do macro dynamics like Klipsch heritage. A middle ground would be big horns from blumenhofer, avant garde etc. There are compromises with every choice.

This was common problem with the mid to lower Klipsch models in the past. The tone also suffered due to this phenomenon. But these higher end models apparently do not have those problems according to reviewers. However if you are big into music that needs accurate tone as well as micro dynamics, then Klipsch won't be your first choice. But then such speakers wont do macro dynamics like Klipsch heritage. A middle ground would be big horns from blumenhofer, avant garde etc. There are compromises with every choice.
hi Vinne, why would you say the microdynamics would be missing ? i would think if paired with a low powered SET it should have it all ie the heritage series.

hi Vinne, why would you say the microdynamics would be missing ? i would think if paired with a low powered SET it should have it all ie the heritage series.

Yes. I have only heard the lower end models from the heritage so I may be wrong. What I meant by micro dynamics is the feeling you get with some speakers where the music is " lit " from inside as well. Usually such speakers are tonally beautiful and accurate. You enjoy classical, Jazz better on such speakers especially if you are sweet spot listener.

By and large, high sensitivity speakers have plentiful micro dynamics. But in some cases they are good with going loud but not very good with handling micro dynamics in such a way that it evokes emotion in the listener. This has got to do with accuracy and tone. I was never happy with accuracy and tone with lower end Klipsch models.

I will seek out the la scala and higher models and surely listen.

Last edited:
The ideal speaker ??

The two top-most Klipsch speakers are the vintage Klipschorn, and their more modern Jubilee. They both have a very good low end. They also both share two unacceptable ( to me ) design flaws. What I can not stand about them, is that they use non-direct-radiating 15 inch drivers, and a non-direct-radiating ( rear-loaded ) horn....... for the bass section.

I subjectively much much prefer listening to

(a) a front-direct-radiating 15 inch driver, and

(b) a front-loaded horn, in front of that same 15 inch driver.

To me, for my own home use, this happily translates into a professional movie theatre speaker, a vintage ALTEC VOTT A7-8 configuration. Yes, it will never have the low end of the aforementioned Klipsch speakers, who cares, not I !!

One other thing, the Klipsch drivers, through the years, were cheaply made. Most serious owners ( who were not wise enough to buy ALTEC - in the first place ) end up replacing their stock Klipsch drivers, with better quality ones from other manufacturers.

Possibly, the three best speakers available are not from any consumer level manufacturer at all. They are professional-use drivers.

The three best speakers IMHO, are : ALTEC, Klangfilm, and ALE. ALEs are modern Japanese $50,000 to $100,000 dollar copies of ALTEC drivers, which are blueprint-assembled as to tolerances and fitting of voice coils to gaps, etc.

There certainly is a huge sound- quality difference between rear-loaded-horns with non-direct-radiating cheaply-made 15 inch woofers., and a "lowly" old ALTEC A7-8 ...... done to the Queen's taste.

The other speaker I truly enjoy, a "full-blown" consumer-level offering, is the fabulous all-German MBL Radialstrahler audio system. Do you have a couple of million dollars to loan me for one ? YMMV, of course, its my own subjective report herein. Thanks.

drlowmu

Last edited:
There is nothing better than a Khorn if setup properly, read the white paper from Paul Klipsch. I purchased my house because it had a room that was described in this white paper. My 1985 Khorns have been modded to a point where they are really no longer Khorns but very close to what Klipsch is producing today. The engineers at Klipsch mimicked what some of the guys where doing in the Klipsch forum. These same guys started several companies that reproduce the new horn section and sell the drivers. So if you purchase a new Khorn, you are basically getting these mods. Some of the mods included 20+db crossover slopes which bring the imaging to life. Mine have some wood Martinelli horns back when he was in that business.
Anyways, a couple guys from Orlando in a large audio club came up a couple months ago to hear my system and where blown away. They said my system was better than any system in their entire club. Some spending north of 100K on their systems.

So don't give up on Klipsch until you hear them in their proper setting with the right equipment. I almost sold mine 15yrs ago until I stumbled across the Klipsch forum....

There is nothing better than a Khorn if setup properly, read the white paper from Paul Klipsch. I purchased my house because it had a room that was described in this white paper. My 1985 Khorns have been modded to a point where they are really no longer Khorns but very close to what Klipsch is producing today. The engineers at Klipsch mimicked what some of the guys where doing in the Klipsch forum. These same guys started several companies that reproduce the new horn section and sell the drivers. So if you purchase a new Khorn, you are basically getting these mods. Some of the mods included 20+db crossover slopes which bring the imaging to life. Mine have some wood Martinelli horns back when he was in that business.
Anyways, a couple guys from Orlando in a large audio club came up a couple months ago to hear my system and where blown away. They said my system was better than any system in their entire club. Some spending north of 100K on their systems.

So don't give up on Klipsch until you hear them in their proper setting with the right equipment. I almost sold mine 15yrs ago until I stumbled across the Klipsch forum....

Thanks !
Whats you view on the Old ( pre 80s) ves the newer ones especially AK5/6 ? have been hearing about older ones which had to be very minutely placed near walls sounding far more organic rather the. the newer ones which OTOH are much easier to place ?

I had AK-3 in mine and they were unbearable over time, I almost sold the speakers in 2005.
They fixed a few things with the K55m but were still only 6/12db. Simple cap changes will not help.
I would suspect the AK6 was for the midrange driver change. If you buy the old, you may spend $2-3K to get them right. You don't need corners with some of the newer ones but I don't believe it will be an ideal setup.
Look up the white papers, Volti audio and ALK engineering pages for more information

Great to see this thread come back to life once again.
Just recently I came across a La Scala demo that caught my attention

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back