Klipsch Heritage Series

A rebuttal, meant to be friendly.

Notice how Deafbykhorn discusses all the changes needed to be made, to get the Klipsch vintage speakers acceptable.

This is because of Klipsch, early on and through the years, used cheap drivers, and on K-Horns and La Scalas, a rear loaded, rear firing bass driver and horn.

Although a K-Horn ( or new Jubilee ) goes low, the design can never ever remotely compete with the listening experience of a directly front firing and partially front horn loaded 15 inch, ....... as in a simple ALTEC VOTT .

As was mentioned, several posts above " if you buy the old, you may have to spend $ 2 - $ 3 K to get them right ".

But after you replace the cheap Klipsch drivers, ...... you still have to listen to a rear firing bass horn and a rear-firing ( out-of-time ) woofer driver !!

Woofer not directly front radiating ?? No thank you.

Vintage alnico ALTEC ( or much better yet, the new GPA made units ) are professional-use drivers, much better drivers than one finds in most commercial speakers. ( See my first post, re : the big three ......ALE, pre WW2 KLANGFILM, and ALTEC / GPA )

I certainly do not like an above-mentioned post's modern use of 20dB+ passive crossovers " to bring the imaging to life " !! Often, the less parts the better.

Note :

( My personal - use ALTEC 15 inch 515B woofers have absolutely no crossover what-so-ever on them, they are driven directly and full-range ).

For home use, I find a great and simple two way speaker, partially horn loaded, preferable to more complex three way speakers.

My ALTEC VOTT ( A7-8 ) " blooms " with the most minor of user mods in a smaller room, as can a 1947-49 ALTEC H-110 in a large room. But it takes great set up, great wiring, and most important of all, a really well designed two stage SE DC amp, with a great power supply, playing full range, to obtain the ultimate audio experience. YMMV, fine with me !!!

Jeff

PS :

I personally owned La Scalas in the 1990s, for about a month, and very quickly sold them.

How could La Scalas begin to compare back then ? In a large room, I was using two-way horn-loaded RCA "Ubangies" with RCA MI-9449 dual 15 woofers, and RCA field coil MI-1428 compression drivers on RCA 90 by 40 cast horns.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back