Laochen/Oldchen EL34 Tube Amplifier

swami69

I had mentioned in couple of threads that i have ordered for this item from Aliexpress. (see link below)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AIQ...lgo_pvid=a1f3b019-1c36-46b7-b4c9-9f1fa5266551

I paid around USD 252 including shipping through Fedex to Chennai, India equates to INR 18000
I paid a Customs Duty of Rs. 5500
Total cost of Amplifier INR 23500

While it got delayed at Bangalore customs for 3 days, eventually it reached me and the package was good and the contents as well. They had packed the amplifier nicely using double thick Carton + all the valves bubble wrapped in their own boxes + it comes with a 3 Pin Power cord.

The Rectifier tube is a 5U4G tube branded OldChen
The pre-amp tubes - i do not know which make it is - probably some russian
The Power tubes EL34 are PSvane

My current setup is
Source - CA CD player
Iphone Music through Belkin Songstream Bluetooth
connected to a Beresford 7520 DAC
All sources connected to NAD C355BEE amplifer
Tape out to DARED SL2000A Valve Pre amp
Then back into the Main In of NAD
So, NADs pre-amp section is not used, but used as a source selector and a Power amp
Speakers - DYNAUDIO DM 2/6
Performance - To my ears, wonderful with huge sound stage, instrument separation, clear mids, clean highs and wonderful tight bass - All this out of this wonderfully small speakers.

On receipt of the amplifier, i infact connected it in my living room, just replacing the NAD. It was able to drive the 6 ohm 86db Dynes pretty nicely upto 12.00 o clock position. But, once i move it more than that, it started distorting and i did not want to use it further fearing for my speakers. Obviously I cannot expect a 10W amp to drive this Dynes. Then, i tried connecting my 8 ohm 90db Mission M32i brought from my bedroom, it was again OK till 1 o clock position, but these Missions are no way as crisp and clear as my Dynes. So that was dropped too.

For everyone attention, all this are being done with just few hours on the amp as they say it needs to some burn in. Let me see what happens after a week or so..

Then finally, i connected this new Tube Amplifier at my small study room using my DIY Fostex FE103N BR speakers. This sounded much better and the amp was not stressing out at all. While the speakers are pretty old (10 years) with a banana paper pulp cone which i am sure has got affected due to humidity, moisture and all sorts of stuff, still sounded great in a simple DIY enclosure hurriedly put up couple of weeks back. The difference in room acoustics between my living room and this smaller room is playing a role in the difference in sound (in a -ve way), but still I get a good sound stage, imaging, clarity etc., NOT in match with my Living room.
I just brought in my Bluetooth receiver and my DAC to this room for testing purposes and playing it from my Iphone Music files. I have still not connected my CD player to it.

The test tracks are as follows compared between my Living room systems and I can conclude that my living room setup is superior only from the perspective of, 1. it has great sounding speakers and 2. it has a much open room acoustics. Else, most of the parameters from both the systems are pretty similar and this amp sounds great.

1. Chesky test files playing Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pidgeon, Grandma's Hands by Livingston Traylor, Corenteza by Ana Caram etc.,
  2. Keith Don't go by Nils Lofgren
  3. Some songs from Tracker of Mark Knopfler
  4. Jazz at the Pawn shop for its wonderful very real lounge music / soundstage
  5. Amused to Death - The perfect sense part 1
and obviously some Ilayaraja and AR Rahman songs

This is only an initial observation and i may swap this setup to my living room this weekend and see, also, it would have burned in. Roughly i could conclude that a higher sensitivity speaker with better room acoustics will take this amp to a much greater level.

@ 24K, it sounds pretty clean, no floor noise, no hum, well built and i am pretty impressed.

I will provide more observations as I do some more jugglary with this as the time goes by. The import transaction was absolutely smooth and people need not worry about that portion at all.

This is the amp

I had mentioned in couple of threads that i have ordered for this item from Aliexpress. (see link below)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AIQ...lgo_pvid=a1f3b019-1c36-46b7-b4c9-9f1fa5266551

I paid around USD 252 including shipping through Fedex to Chennai, India equates to INR 18000
I paid a Customs Duty of Rs. 5500
Total cost of Amplifier INR 23500

While it got delayed at Bangalore customs for 3 days, eventually it reached me and the package was good and the contents as well. They had packed the amplifier nicely using double thick Carton + all the valves bubble wrapped in their own boxes + it comes with a 3 Pin Power cord.

The Rectifier tube is a 5U4G tube branded OldChen
The pre-amp tubes - i do not know which make it is - probably some russian
The Power tubes EL34 are PSvane

My current setup is
Source - CA CD player
Iphone Music through Belkin Songstream Bluetooth
connected to a Beresford 7520 DAC
All sources connected to NAD C355BEE amplifer
Tape out to DARED SL2000A Valve Pre amp
Then back into the Main In of NAD
So, NADs pre-amp section is not used, but used as a source selector and a Power amp
Speakers - DYNAUDIO DM 2/6
Performance - To my ears, wonderful with huge sound stage, instrument separation, clear mids, clean highs and wonderful tight bass - All this out of this wonderfully small speakers.

On receipt of the amplifier, i infact connected it in my living room, just replacing the NAD. It was able to drive the 6 ohm 86db Dynes pretty nicely upto 12.00 o clock position. But, once i move it more than that, it started distorting and i did not want to use it further fearing for my speakers. Obviously I cannot expect a 10W amp to drive this Dynes. Then, i tried connecting my 8 ohm 90db Mission M32i brought from my bedroom, it was again OK till 1 o clock position, but these Missions are no way as crisp and clear as my Dynes. So that was dropped too.

For everyone attention, all this are being done with just few hours on the amp as they say it needs to some burn in. Let me see what happens after a week or so..

Then finally, i connected this new Tube Amplifier at my small study room using my DIY Fostex FE103N BR speakers. This sounded much better and the amp was not stressing out at all. While the speakers are pretty old (10 years) with a banana paper pulp cone which i am sure has got affected due to humidity, moisture and all sorts of stuff, still sounded great in a simple DIY enclosure hurriedly put up couple of weeks back. The difference in room acoustics between my living room and this smaller room is playing a role in the difference in sound (in a -ve way), but still I get a good sound stage, imaging, clarity etc., NOT in match with my Living room.
I just brought in my Bluetooth receiver and my DAC to this room for testing purposes and playing it from my Iphone Music files. I have still not connected my CD player to it.

The test tracks are as follows compared between my Living room systems and I can conclude that my living room setup is superior only from the perspective of, 1. it has great sounding speakers and 2. it has a much open room acoustics. Else, most of the parameters from both the systems are pretty similar and this amp sounds great.

1. Chesky test files playing Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pidgeon, Grandma's Hands by Livingston Traylor, Corenteza by Ana Caram etc.,
  2. Keith Don't go by Nils Lofgren
  3. Some songs from Tracker of Mark Knopfler
  4. Jazz at the Pawn shop for its wonderful very real lounge music / soundstage
  5. Amused to Death - The perfect sense part 1
and obviously some Ilayaraja and AR Rahman songs

This is only an initial observation and i may swap this setup to my living room this weekend and see, also, it would have burned in. Roughly i could conclude that a higher sensitivity speaker with better room acoustics will take this amp to a much greater level.

@ 24K, it sounds pretty clean, no floor noise, no hum, well built and i am pretty impressed.

I will provide more observations as I do some more jugglary with this as the time goes by. The import transaction was absolutely smooth and people need not worry about that portion at all.

This is the amp

View attachment 34290
Nice looking amplifier. How is the audio quality sir ??

Looks neat and elegant.Is it a stereo amplifier?Is there a phono input?Kindly let me know.
and @Mahi

I was little busy with some other things and hence could not reply or post on this thread. Apologies.

As mentioned earlier, i am trying this Tube Amplifier with my Study room setup as below :
DIY Fostex FE103E 4" full range in a Bass Reflex cabinet (well made, but not so serious about finishing)
DIY phase plugs installed after removing the dust cap
DIY Baffle Step Compensation
Supported for the lows by a Mordaunt Short Subwoofer
Source : my desktop PC connected using an USB cable to my Beresford DAC
Streaming either from itunes or spotify

Now, i have been having this 4" driver for almost 10 years and it has seen a Sewage pipe design, Zigmahornett design, Bushhorn MKII, Open Baffle and finally a Bass Reflex. I am not comparing which was sounding better, but, this BR with Sub is sounding sweet with this amp.

For my room, i am having this tube amplifier volume at 12' 0 clock position and it is more than sufficient. The imaging is sharp. The sound stage is reasonably wide and deep and the clarity is perfect. I use the Chesky demonstration album to check all these out + couple of more test tracks like "Keith don't go/Nils Lofgren", Jazz at Pawn shop for its life like lounge feel, Perfect sense pt 1 from Amused to Death where you hear him speaking right at the plane to your seating position. I am sure this will be even better in a much spacious room and I have started to believe very strongly that Room Acoustics and space is the #1 priority in a Audio Chain which can make even a simple setup sound many times better than an expensive setup in a crappy room/placement. My opinion though !

The tube amplifier obviously gets hot, but very bearable and you can feel the heat only when you go near to the tubes. I think the existing tubes are doing a great job and may be some tube rolling after sometime will give some benefits, not sure.

I think @ 24K this is an excellent beginner tube amplifier which can be easily paired with small Full Range drivers having lower sensitivity or larger speaker drivers having higher sensitivity.

FYI this tube amplifier does not have a sub out, so i am using a RCA Y splitter from the DAC to my powered sub and it works perfectly fine.

Swami
1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg

What is the panel behind the speaker ?
These are DIY sound absorption panels which i made recently.
I made 6 of them and using 4 in my living room. The rest 2, i am just trying in this room.
They are made of 4" rock wool, but stuffed in a 2" frame and covered with cloth
Made the panels portable by attaching legs so that we can position them for testing

swami

Swami,

Congratulations on a wonderful setup! Looks like a great place to listen to some tunes.
I am continuing to be impressed by gear from the PRC.

Such beautiful speakers as well. DIY with a really nice aesthetic.

Thanks for sharing!

I am sure this will be even better in a much spacious room and I have started to believe very strongly that Room Acoustics and space is the #1 priority in a Audio Chain which can make even a simple setup sound many times better than an expensive setup in a crappy room/placement. My opinion though !
True sir. Speaker placement is very critical. Is it possible sir to get an audition of this setup.

True sir. Speaker placement is very critical. Is it possible sir to get an audition of this setup.
@ Nikhil - thanks for your compliments
Thanks Kannan. Sure, you are welcome. I am in Sholinganallur, let me know and we can fix it up. You can also give your comments on my living room setup. I would love to hear the +/-. Thanks.

Swami

Just an update : after reading through some content on a 12" high efficiency full range on Open Baffle, i bought a pair of Ahuja SK 12 FRX yesterday. I am going to put it on a quick baffle today and run them in for few days. In the meantime, i will decide on the correct baffle size and other parameters. Just to check the drivers, i hooked it up yesterday and i think i will like its open sound for the type of music i am listening.....Will keep this thread updated once i have a final setup ready :) Another project for the coming weekends !!

Update # 1 - Testing of Open Baffles

I would honestly agree that i am not very good at the technical aspects of speaker building. But i learn from internet and do trial and error and so far the outcome has been quite successful in whatever i did. This should probably go into a speaker building thread. But, since i am just doing the testing, i will continue to post here as the intent is to pair with this 10W Tube amplifer and check the results

I bought a pair of Ahuja Sk12FRX from Ritchie street (Skyline Electonics)
A pair costed me Rs. 3100
You can look for the spec by doing a google search
I already had a simple open baffle used earlier for 4" FR with a 10" Dainty woofer (now discarded)
So, i used the same by enlarging the 4" hole to suit this 12"FR, retaining the 10" Dainty woofer
That is the reason, i could just put this together so quickly last evening
I had 10 ohms Resistors and 33uf Caps lying around and made a simple 1st order Low Pass filter for the woofer and driving the 12" as full range
The low pass was approximately crossed at around 482Hz as per the calculator
This just suited me for the 1st test with available components and the 480Hz is just helps to add weight to the low mids as otherwise the FR on its own was thin. Also remember it needs to break in i guess and it may improve on its own. Then we have the Phase Plug mod and Mod Podge cone mods etc., - all this can be tried as it is relatively an inexpensive driver :)
To add to this I continued using my sealed sub to have the support on the real low frequencies

I know from a purist point of view, this sort of a combination may theoretically sound crap, but whatever little i heard in the morning, it sounded pretty cool with good imaging, sound stage, depth, instrument separation and above all, the clarity in the mid-range is phenomenal compared to my 4" full range. The sound is very open and a lush mid range. The upper mids are relatively harsher which needs taming, but the high frequencies are quite OK and i will wait for some more time to check all these out one by one and make adjustments.

Again as mentioned, this is just a testing.....i may change the cross over point, use only FR with SUB or just FR and Dainty woofer, make a bigger baffle - all those are possibilities in the days to come. Once i arrive at something concrete, i will go for a solid baffle to suit the home decor and finish it off as professionally as i can.

For this price of Ahuja Pair @ Rs. 3100 + Dainty pair @ Rs. 1700, simple baffle, it is a great combination. The amplifier is able to cleanly drive it.

I will continue to update as and when i make some changes and share the outcome.

A picture below taken in rush while leave from home today morning.

Open Baffle1.jpeg

Swami

Its great to see this driver in OB.

I too use Ahuja Sk12FRX in ported enclosure and it requires minimum 50 hours of break-in. Looking forward for your progress.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back