laptop budget 40K..with ssd

I would prefer Dell & HP instead.
Look for deals on amazon, you will get Core i3 with 8GB and SSD.
But do not forget to ensure that the model comes with MS Office 2019 preinstalled.

Note: I had similar requirement for my 2 kids, purchased a Dell and a HP. Realised that display of Dell is much better.

Got this https://amzn.to/3zw9YiF for the kids just a month back. Durable and lightning fast. I spent another 8k and installed a 240GB Corsair MP 510 NVME SSD and another 8GB of RAM. Even without the upgrade and out of the box it's a very capable performer and better than Core i5 hands down.

Nothing wrong with Acer / Lenovo or any other
14” is portable, 15” is bit uncomfortable
metal unibody is more sturdy & hence durable due to less flexibility

SSD and RAM can be easily upgraded as DIY at lesser cost than company prices.

If it's me, I would have best processor, build quality and screen with least HDD and RAM, no OS/Linux in my budget.

Lenovo E series, Dell vostro are pretty durable and might come be in ur budget

Sharing my experience, it might not be an option for most... I got a used Lenovo Thinkpad T420 8GB RAM, Quad Code Core i5 processor (Ivy Bridge) along with 2 power brick & docking station for Rs. 2,000 (my brother's company auctioned older units during a refresh). Replaced the 500GB HDD with a 120GB SSD and it works great on Linux. Great for my son's online classes in teams, video calling and light games.

I think it is time we start considering used Enterprise gear because processors are not getting faster that rapidly. Yes they have older parts and consume more power but they can be sourced cheaply, have great build and parts can be replaced or upgraded relatively easily. Caveat is to find a good example for the right price.

Sharing my experience, it might not be an option for most... I got a used Lenovo Thinkpad T420 8GB RAM, Quad Code Core i5 processor (Ivy Bridge) along with 2 power brick & docking station for Rs. 2,000 (my brother's company auctioned older units during a refresh). Replaced the 500GB HDD with a 120GB SSD and it works great on Linux. Great for my son's online classes in teams, video calling and light games.

I think it is time we start considering used Enterprise gear because processors are not getting faster that rapidly. Yes they have older parts and consume more power but they can be sourced cheaply, have great build and parts can be replaced or upgraded relatively easily. Caveat is to find a good example for the right price.
any place/shop you can suggest to buy reliable used Laptop?

SSD and RAM can be easily upgraded as DIY at lesser cost than company prices.

If it's me, I would have best processor, build quality and screen with least HDD and RAM, no OS/Linux in my budget.

Lenovo E series, Dell vostro are pretty durable and might come be in ur budget
You are right.

Most Dell and HP laptops are a pain in the *** to swap/install components. They have to be stripped to motherboard level to do so. Acer is a breeze. Just open the back cover and all the slots are easily accessible. ( Not sure about the newer models of HP and Dell though). Personally, this is a deal breaker for me.

One more important thing to note imho. Check the Mobo specs to see if the supplied stock ram is in a removable slot or directly soldered on the Mobo. If it is soldered, then no point in buying a Night hawk Dragonblade ultra super duper high speed ram to upgrade, the system would be limited to the speed of the inbuilt ram. Again on the other hand, it would be quite an effort to get additional ram which matches the stock ram.

Dealers are notorious to plonk any ram just to show the customer that the system has 8GB or 16GB ram. Majority of the dealers would be able to give very vague ram specs. There are many good freeware which can give you detailed hardware specs. That would help in finding the right ram to upgrade.

Last edited:
Went for a 14inch HP last year with AMD Ryzen and AMD graphics card with expandable RAM and 512 SSD. Havent added any RAM yet though.

This is almost exclusively used for online classes by the kid and occasional light Autocad and PS by the wife. Holding up well so far.

This was the model

Got it from my local vendor for 44.5k

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back