Laptop for use as source

I would not use any PC, laptop, or desktop, as a primary source for hifi sound, and just use whatever on-board sound chip comes with it. Quite likely, it won't be very good!

For a laptop, I'd probably look at something like this Echo Audio card

Hi All,

Thanks for all these inputs. I am really grateful. I would like to clarify again that in case I buy a macbook/ macbook pro will i still need a outboard DAC.

Hi All,

Thanks for all these inputs. I am really grateful. I would like to clarify again that in case I buy a macbook/ macbook pro will i still need a outboard DAC.

For an audiophile DAC should be first preference, laptop second. Yes i think you would get better results with DAC

Hi All,

it is not that you must have an outboard DAC - the analogue output is not indecent.

but if you desire excellence as far as the source is concerned, then you need an outboard DAC

Can you suggest some good options for a DAC. Further i would prefer a plain USB DAC. What are the members opinion regarding squeezebox ?? Further, on searching the forums I have also come up with this HRT's music streamer for USD 99 which seems as a bang for the buck. Well thanks are in order to VenkatCR for the same. Looks quite unique. There's a music streamer + and music streamer pro for the purist. Any views on these ???

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back