LCD TV replacement or refund ?

isawugoing

Hi,
I purchased 42" LG scarlet lcd tv in first week of march'09 for 53000, in Delhi.
It had some scratches on the body panel.
I had registered the complaint,
& now the Co. is saying that as the model is discontinued, & they are few chances that it can be replaced with a new one, & they can offer a refund, in that case.
I will receive the final call, within two days, regarding the availability of the replacement LCD TV.

Now I'm weighing my options.
1. If i get the refund, shall i ask them to give me 40~50% discount on new scarlet 2.0, for causing this problem in the first place.
2. are there any new models in the market within 53K range, that offer the same features & cool look, of scarlet 1.0
3. i search for scarlet 1.0, through dealers, if they have any left, and try to get a deal @45K or similar (as the model is discontinued, ut is still the best in features & looks, compared to other LCD tv's currently in the market)

Waiting for your views.

Sorry about your situation.
But the good thing is company is refunding. First get the money from them.

If you trust the person with who you are dealing then ask for discount in the new model if you want to stick to LG.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Do not complicate the situation much ...take the refund first and then ask for discounted piece

Yes, take refund. Just check if it's going to be a pure refund and not a credit note to buy another LG LCD? In case you finalize something else?

It looks like your dealer has sent you a "display" piece. Were you offered some special discount at that time?

Did you take 3 months to complain or it took so long for them to respond?

No special discount !!!

& I made multiple complaints, in first two months, but the service center closed them, without resolving them, or contacting me,
I then lost hope, & left the matter.
but 2 weeks before, i received a call from LG, asking "if i was happy with the LCD", i said "NO", and told him everything, he created a new complaint, which is luckily active till now,
and this whole action/conversation is due to the latest complaint.

i have also emailed them yesterday, & they are saying, that they have escalated this matter, to branch office.

Let's see what happens.

are there any LCD/plasma's in market better then scarlet 1.0, in terms of looks, and cheaper in price. i.e. in 40~45K range.

any models i have seen on compareindia.in.com, in 40~45K, are not good looking, or are not 1080P.

Well i would recommend to get the refund ASAP, don't think about anything else once you get the refund, their are plenty of options available to go for.

U can get Panny or Sammy plasma's under 50k which are excellent and is a good deal.

So first get the refund and then research on what you really want to buy next ?

Well,
After constant calls to LG staff for more than 3 weeks, they have agreed to refund me the prchase price of 53000, they were offering me scarlet 2.0 for 66000, by paying additional 13,000. (which is available for around 62000 in market), i thought it's best to take refund, as then i will have many options in front of me.
They have asked for 10-12 days time to prepare a Cheque !
I will bug him again after 5 days, to know the status of the same.

Well, actually as i only view cable TV & USB (divx movies), so i was thinking of purchasing 50" LG PQ30, it's 720P, which is sufficient, considering India doesn't have HD content yet, and the divx movies & cable TV, are both below 720P anyways & are upscaled by all the TV's, so it's more bang for the buck,

On compareindia.in.com it's for 55K, i think i can get it for around 50~52K,

& mind you, 50" is really bigger than 42", & btw most 46" Full HD are available for more than 1,00,000/- & even then one can't utilize all it's features to the fullest.

So, that's my choice for now. but i'll do the final research once i get the refund after 10~12 days.

Anybody knows the best price of LG 50PQ30.

Well, actually as i only view cable TV & USB (divx movies), so i was thinking of purchasing 50" LG PQ30, it's 720P, which is sufficient, considering India doesn't have HD content yet, and the divx movies & cable TV, are both below 720P anyways & are upscaled by all the TV's, so it's more bang for the buck,

& mind you, 50" is really bigger than 42", & btw most 46" Full HD are available for more than 1,00,000/- & even then one can't utilize all it's features to the fullest.

So, that's my choice for now. but i'll do the final research once i get the refund after 10~12 days.

HD scene can change pretty fast. If you are not going to upgrade soon, be extra thoughtful. Hope you have adequate viewing distance.

viewing distance is approx 7~8ft, & i don't think HD scene will change soon.

Also In india, High Quality hardware come early, where as content for the same arrives much much late.

I had Nokia n91 (3G) @ 31000 at it's launch, 3 years back.

but 3G will be available at affordable rates only in mid 2010.
You get the point here !

well u need to consider ur viewing distance,since in a 50inch HD ready screen pixel sizes are huge bigger then a 29inch SD tv.so make sure ur viewing distance is adequate,since tvs makers are trying to make tvs look more realistic,as u go to bigger sizes u can clearly see that a image is made up of pixels,so thats one of the reason to the ever growing resolution in tvs.

edit at 7 to 8 feet the image on a 50inch HD tv will look like a 29inch crt tv.hell even a 21inch tv will look better in terms of overall picture since u won't notice that the image is made up of pixels.

Last edited:
why dont you consider 42PQ70 ? which is latest in the LG stable. i think its best for 7-8' distance. i m also considering one. but first i want to see one. may be this weekend i will do it.

viewing distance is approx 7~8ft, & i don't think HD scene will change soon.

Also In india, High Quality hardware come early, where as content for the same arrives much much late.

I had Nokia n91 (3G) @ 31000 at it's launch, 3 years back.

but 3G will be available at affordable rates only in mid 2010.
You get the point here !

Viewing distance is less for 50", as you will be watching SD content and not THX stuff.

Unlike TVs, we can change mobiles pretty fast to suit our requirements.
If you are changing TV in couple of years you are fine.

You can be pleasantly surprised with falling prices for HD world. HDTV may take little longer but HD players/ content will be soon available at throwaways prices.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back