LCD TV with HDMI option and connectoin related question

balajeem

Big question , please bear with me, experts please comment.
Gears available:

SONY LCD TV with HDMI option.
Sony DVD player (that claims video upscaling) with HDMI output
Denon A/V Receiver (no HDMI)
TATA SKY connection:

Understanding:

I want to connect this way:

1. SONY DVD Player - HDMI out to HDMI in of SONY LCD TV
2. SONY DVD Player - Digital audio output to Denon A/V receiver.
3. DENON A/V Receiver - connected to Speakers (home theatre)

If I do this, will I get HDMI in Picture Quality when I play DVD and sound via speakers connected via A/V Receiver ?

Why this confusion for me:

HDMI is single cable that has negligble loss of audio/video. Since I am connecting HDMI out of DVD to HDMI in of LCD TV, will audio also come from the LCD TV or because I am taking the Digital audio out from DVD Player and that goes to A/V Receiver, will I get the sound from the Home Theatre package ?

On TATA Sky - They aren't yet HDMI ready, correct ?

How about SUNHD Direct - Any experience?

Reason for my above connection:

While I play movie I want the sound from the Home Theatre package but PQ should be HDMI way, while I play normal cable TV, my family members would be ok to get the sound just from the TV , they wouldn't really want from the AV.

Also, is it that with HDMI output of DVD Player, is there any switching sequence i.e. first DVDP should be switched on then TV, etc. ? I heard there is some dependency since it's not a blu-ray player.

Why this confusion for me:

HDMI is single cable that has negligble loss of audio/video. Since I am connecting HDMI out of DVD to HDMI in of LCD TV, will audio also come from the LCD TV or because I am taking the Digital audio out from DVD Player and that goes to A/V Receiver, will I get the sound from the Home Theatre package ?

Absolutely the right way to connect since yoru AVR does not have HDMI. This way you will get multichannel (5.1 or above) via your AVR and good quality pic from your DVD on your TV. Also ensure that video upscaling is done by the TV as its the final viewpoint for video and the components in between may or may not upscale.

Further if you happen to get audio via the TV speakers through HDMI *doubtful though* then simply turn down the TV volume all the way to 0. Then everything should be fine.

Thanks much for the comments.

>>Also ensure that video upscaling is done by the TV as its the final viewpoint for video and the components in between may or may not upscale.

As I mentioned, the DVDPlayer HDMI out to LCD TV HDMI in, DVD player claims video upscaling, assuming it doesn't do, a normal DVD played via such player, output taken via HDMI and given to HDMI TV, do you mean to say the LCD TV will do the video upscaling ?

So any source you connect to HDMI TV, the TV does the upscaling ? I thought HDMI TV wouldn't have the video upsacling functionality - Please correct me if I am wrong.

All TVs upscale / downscale videos to their native resolution.

Thus a HD Ready (720p) TV upscales all SD images to HD Ready (720p) and downscales FullHD (1080p) to 720p.

Thanks much for the comments.

>>Also ensure that video upscaling is done by the TV as its the final viewpoint for video and the components in between may or may not upscale.

As I mentioned, the DVDPlayer HDMI out to LCD TV HDMI in, DVD player claims video upscaling, assuming it doesn't do, a normal DVD played via such player, output taken via HDMI and given to HDMI TV, do you mean to say the LCD TV will do the video upscaling ?

So any source you connect to HDMI TV, the TV does the upscaling ? I thought HDMI TV wouldn't have the video upsacling functionality - Please correct me if I am wrong.

All TVs upscale / downscale videos to their native resolution.

Thus a HD Ready (720p) TV upscales all SD images to HD Ready (720p) and downscales FullHD (1080p) to 720p.

[Balajeem]
If my understanding is right, a normal DVD player connected to FULL HDMI TV, will show images with 1080p bcos TV does the upscaling ?

then why do we have AVR such as Denon 1910 that has and highlighted functionality as video upscaling ?
or in general video upscaling DVD players ?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back