LED or Plasma - which way to go?

I need advice on:
1. Should I buy Plasma instead of LED? 60% normal TV via HD STB & 40% movies via PS3 (Blu-rays & 1080P rips), audio is not a deciding factor as have AVR in place
2. What size should I look at? The 40 incher now feels like a 32 incher; so bigger must be better!
3. Which brand to look for in case of Plasma any specific model?
4. I stay in Pune so any advice on best-buy location would help. I am open to buying from grey market as well (if savings are greater than say 30-35%).

Thanks in advance!!

Whats your budget - thats an important factor...

Lot of people have given advice on Plasma vs LED - I can talk from my experience (current hold 1 50" Plasma, 1 LED, 2 LCDs -32" & 2 CRTs in my 2 houses)... Plasmas are anyday better for PQ, natural colors, better blacks and more bang for the buck... however they are not as sleek as sexy as some LEDs (especially Sony 850 model) and panels have more reflection so bad for brightly lit rooms... they are not selling as much as they used to and probably will not be around after few yrs...

For 12-15 distance - go for 46" LED or 50" Plasma.

At first, I thought I shouldn't post any in this thread, but changed my mind to share my experience/thoughts in a hope that someone might see this as an useful information. It is not right to simply say that Plasma lovers are very much blinded and don't talk about the cons. Of course any technology will have some pros and cons and enough information is available in the Internet for an individual to judge. I am a plasma lover and so it is obvious that I would be always be recommending a Plasma TV and finally it is up to the other individual to decide on his own. So if someone recommends a particular technology, let's not abuse them since that is their opinion.

Leaving aside all these things, here is my simple recommendation to decide on LCD vs Plasma.
Point#1: If you are an videophile, simply go for Plasma without any second thought. I am not saying LEDs are completely bad for all videophiles, but to get a Picture-Quality (PQ) on par with a midrange Plasma, then you need to invest 1.5 times more for getting an LED of similar performance. To put in simple words, an high end LED TV is equivalent to a mid-range Plasma. This is the fact.

Point#2: As I mentioned above, if you are an videophile and not prepared to compromise on the PQ, plasma is the way to go but with a rider. The rider is - you need to take care of Plasma just like you take care of your kid. This may sound bit exaggerated, but that's how I handle my Plasma TV. Of course - this is a call you need to make if you want no compromise on the PQ. When I say about taking care of Plasma, few precautions need to taken for the few 150 to 200 hours, watching in the bright rooms, etc. Just like if you buy a Ferrari, you should take care of driving it only on express highways and not on other roads.

Point#3: If you are not an videophile, then never go for a Plasma. Again this is just my opinion. LEDs are catching up with the Plasmas these days and so they becoming better day-by-day. Again, I am not saying that LED's PQ is bad. In fact, LEDs too have an excellent PQ, but when compared with the Plasmas, there will be some "if's and but's".

Rest of the points on Plasma vs LED can be found in the Internet and I am not going to write here. Finally, you are the one who is going to decide on what works best for you.
:)

+1..................Point#1: If you are an videophile, simply go for Plasma without any second thought. I am not saying LEDs are completely bad for all videophiles, but to get a Picture-Quality (PQ) on par with a midrange Plasma, then you need to invest 1.5 times more for getting an LED of similar performance. To put in simple words, an high end LED TV is equivalent to a mid-range Plasma. This is the fact

At first, I thought I shouldn't post any in this thread, but changed my mind to share my experience/thoughts in a hope that someone might see this as an useful information. It is not right to simply say that Plasma lovers are very much blinded and don't talk about the cons. Of course any technology will have some pros and cons and enough information is available in the Internet for an individual to judge. I am a plasma lover and so it is obvious that I would be always be recommending a Plasma TV and finally it is up to the other individual to decide on his own. So if someone recommends a particular technology, let's not abuse them since that is their opinion.

Leaving aside all these things, here is my simple recommendation to decide on LCD vs Plasma.
Point#1: If you are an videophile, simply go for Plasma without any second thought. I am not saying LEDs are completely bad for all videophiles, but to get a Picture-Quality (PQ) on par with a midrange Plasma, then you need to invest 1.5 times more for getting an LED of similar performance. To put in simple words, an high end LED TV is equivalent to a mid-range Plasma. This is the fact.

Point#2: As I mentioned above, if you are an videophile and not prepared to compromise on the PQ, plasma is the way to go but with a rider. The rider is - you need to take care of Plasma just like you take care of your kid. This may sound bit exaggerated, but that's how I handle my Plasma TV. Of course - this is a call you need to make if you want no compromise on the PQ. When I say about taking care of Plasma, few precautions need to taken for the few 150 to 200 hours, watching in the bright rooms, etc. Just like if you buy a Ferrari, you should take care of driving it only on express highways and not on other roads.

Point#3: If you are not an videophile, then never go for a Plasma. Again this is just my opinion. LEDs are catching up with the Plasmas these days and so they becoming better day-by-day. Again, I am not saying that LED's PQ is bad. In fact, LEDs too have an excellent PQ, but when compared with the Plasmas, there will be some "if's and but's".

Rest of the points on Plasma vs LED can be found in the Internet and I am not going to write here. Finally, you are the one who is going to decide on what works best for you.
:)

Whats your budget - thats an important factor...

Lot of people have given advice on Plasma vs LED - I can talk from my experience (current hold 1 50" Plasma, 1 LED, 2 LCDs -32" & 2 CRTs in my 2 houses)... Plasmas are anyday better for PQ, natural colors, better blacks and more bang for the buck... however they are not as sleek as sexy as some LEDs (especially Sony 850 model) and panels have more reflection so bad for brightly lit rooms... they are not selling as much as they used to and probably will not be around after few yrs...

For 12-15 distance - go for 46" LED or 50" Plasma.

+1..................Point#1: If you are an videophile, simply go for Plasma without any second thought. I am not saying LEDs are completely bad for all videophiles, but to get a Picture-Quality (PQ) on par with a midrange Plasma, then you need to invest 1.5 times more for getting an LED of similar performance. To put in simple words, an high end LED TV is equivalent to a mid-range Plasma. This is the fact

The reason that every TV thread becomes a plasma vs. lcd war is because some people will come and say, "don't buy this because of so and so ..." or "this is better because that is bad". That is negative thinking at the very least. This applies to everyone.

If someone wants an advice, give positive advice. Tell him, "this will suit you better, because of this". Give her/him the unbiased opinion and show him good and bad of that technology only without criticizing the other.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back