LED TV Buying guide / FAQ 2018

nivlacbot

Hi,

So my Panny Plasma 42PVD8 has conked - six months later, I'm no closer to the replacement. All I have is questions.. with confusing answers on the web - hope someone here can clear a few up. Scoping the discussion to LED (Plasma seems to be dead:(, OLEDs are not cheap enough yet)

Q: Does 4K UHD make sense at regular viewing distances?
Multiple sites [Rtings] indicate that most people are not able to distinguish between 4k and FHD at normal viewing distances. You need to sit closer to the telly to make out the difference.
Pros: Future proof, Large tvs- only option
Cons: Cash, Warranty as % of set cost, Not a big jump in PQ.

Q: HDR seems to be a bigger draw / jump in PQ than 4K over FHD. However, it seems there is HDR (only in games - in some Sony models), HDR 10 and Dolby vision
Is HDR10 the base standard? Dolby seems to be 12 bit (vs 10), more expensive (licensed?) but rare. What should I be looking for in the specs, if the site just says "HDR" - Is Panny's HDR better than Samsungs for example?

Q: Does HDR on non-large/sub-49 inch tellys even matter?
Can't find auth. evidence to support/deny this, however I read that HDR on 43 inch telly is just a gimmick.

Q: Refresh rates - what should be the absolute minimum?
60Hz seems to the base minimum. What is the base minimum for sports? Gaming-PS4??

Q: Cracking the model number code. e.g. Samsung KUXXX is a year older model than MUXXXX. also international vs indian model number trickery
Samsung Panasonic

More to follow...

Also any reason why there isn't a sub-forum under Televisions here for "User Reviews". Not getting too much joy out of the search feature here.

Hi,

So my Panny Plasma 42PVD8 has conked - six months later, I'm no closer to the replacement. All I have is questions.. with confusing answers on the web - hope someone here can clear a few up. Scoping the discussion to LED (Plasma seems to be dead:(, OLEDs are not cheap enough yet)

Multiple sites [Rtings] indicate that most people are not able to distinguish between 4k and FHD at normal viewing distances. You need to sit closer to the telly to make out the difference.
Pros: Future proof, Large tvs- only option
Cons: Cash, Warranty as % of set cost, Not a big jump in PQ.

Q: HDR seems to be a bigger draw / jump in PQ than 4K over FHD. However, it seems there is HDR (only in games - in some Sony models), HDR 10 and Dolby vision
Is HDR10 the base standard? Dolby seems to be 12 bit (vs 10), more expensive (licensed?) but rare. What should I be looking for in the specs, if the site just says "HDR" - Is Panny's HDR better than Samsungs for example?

Can't find auth. evidence to support/deny this, however I read that HDR on 43 inch telly is just a gimmick.

60Hz seems to the base minimum. What is the base minimum for sports? Gaming-PS4??

Q: Cracking the model number code. e.g. Samsung KUXXX is a year older model than MUXXXX. also international vs indian model number trickery
Samsung Panasonic

More to follow...

A: Yes, even at larger distances 4K UHD looks amazing compared to FHD. The caveat is you'll see this difference only if u use Blu Rays or download larger clips from the internet. Streaming from sites like NetFlix, Youtube etc. doesn't give you the same quality.

A: Look for Dolby Vision if you want the most widely supported(in the future) HDR spec

A: Haven't checked sets lower than 65 inch for HDR.

A: 60Hz is what India uses as compared to 50Hz in Europe. For gaming, look at input lag. Most brands have decent numbers for their middle and higher end variants. The lower end models suffer from heavy input lag.

Q: Cracking the model number code
A: Do a test at the showroom and don't concern yourself too much with the model numbers. Usually, the higer variants have the same screen as the middle variants and have extra speakers, software etc.

Sorry to hear that.. My Sony 46 inch LCD-CCFL TV also went dead in 5 yrs time..I still can't digest, that the money i spent on the TV is gone:(..

Anyways, since you are abt to reconsider a new one, giving you some pointers..

- Don't chase a brand (or) any specific feature..
- There is no guarantee that the new TV will last you for years.. So consider spending less..
- Best to buy a brand that offers maximum warranty out of the box (or) or at-least optional extended warranty for 2 yrs..

- There is no guarantee that the new TV will last you for years.. So consider spending less..
- Best to buy a brand that offers maximum warranty out of the box (or) or at-least optional extended warranty for 2 yrs..
yup - the system is rigged. Fixed my budget at ~50-60k, but at the same time, I'm a video addict. So was deliberating to go for a bigger FHD tv vs a smaller one with 4K and pseudo HDR.

More to follow...
In terms of screen technology in LED TVs
  • there is edge-lit LED vs back-lit LED (the latter seems to be better). Further improvement for HDR is FALD - full array with local dimming (brings out the HDR)
  • In terms of panels,
    1. IPS - better viewing angles
    2. VA - better blacks, contrast ratios but limited viewing angle
Hope this helps someone - to know what to expect

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back