LED TV war 42LH90QR (LG) vs UA40B6000 (Samsung)

well lg plasmas are by war the worst compared to others from samsung and panasonic.

regarding ur observations on lcd/led lit lcds,the showroom settings on these are first of all crap,oversharped images,with cranked up backlight,with all kinds of processing switched to ON or set to max.which i to don't like,u will need to adjust the settings for optimal viewing.u will be suprised how good they look.

You could be all the way correct, but as I said earlier, I have a vaio sz with thin LED display which iam pretty used to watching HD content. It has the most clear & bright display in notebooks. But I always missed something that the CRT had and this display/LCD displays in showroom don't. I could not explain but I saw that in the plasma and it was like love @ first sight. :)

It is a matter of personal preference I think.

Regarding brand, I think I should have a look @ samsung as so may of you vote. Its hard to find plasmas itself around.

hey Blasto, by all means go for whatever gives you maximum satisfaction, but not before you check out the options and ascertain this for yourself. Videoophile or not a better picture will look better...and will contribute in no small measure towards your satisfaction...the same way you saw the differences between the LCDs and the plasmas and loved the plasmas....it is possible that you may see the difference between different brands and love one over the other...this is the kind of comparison that you just cant' do with a fridge or a washing machine or a microwave.....so please judge for yourself after seeing these TVs...and enjoy the images :)

Psychotropic Bhai, Actually LG is like my family brand.. :D
Everything from Tv, Fridge, Microwave, Washing machine etc are LG and zero problems till now.. So this was my obvious choice. Also it so happens that the LG is the most feature rich in the segment with good PQ (Not a videophile myself and can compromise a little bit of PQ to features).

I will look @ samsung definitely. But will not move if I don't see night and day difference because of lesser features and my personal brand preference. Panasonic, though as good as it may be, I will stay away because of servicing issues.

hey Blasto, by all means go for whatever gives you maximum satisfaction, but not before you check out the options and ascertain this for yourself. Videoophile or not a better picture will look better...and will contribute in no small measure towards your satisfaction...the same way you saw the differences between the LCDs and the plasmas and loved the plasmas....it is possible that you may see the difference between different brands and love one over the other...this is the kind of comparison that you just cant' do with a fridge or a washing machine or a microwave.....so please judge for yourself after seeing these TVs...and enjoy the images :)

psychotropic bhai, Before I write anything stupid, :D I want to ask you if you have demoed the PQ60/PQ70 from LG's 2009 range?

I only had a chance to demo Panasonic C10 at a different place (not side by side with PQ60/70) and IMO, the LG's did well if my memory serves well. If anything they were atleast the same. The demo DVDs were completely different and was playing HD movie trailers (superman etc) and the sales guy was not willing to hand me over the remote (!) as it was connected to all the TVs(?)

Either LG improved the quality of their panels 'a lot' or the panasonic degraded in quality (from what I have been reading regarding PV series) or I had so much of expectation for the panasonic.

Samsung plasmas are like 'invisible'.. I can't believe when I called up a samsung brand shop and they told that they don't display plasmas and if I mention the model, they will be able to deliver it!

psychotropic bhai, Before I write anything stupid, :D I want to ask you if you have demoed the PQ60/PQ70 from LG's 2009 range?

I only had a chance to demo Panasonic C10 at a different place (not side by side with PQ60/70) and IMO, the LG's did well if my memory serves well. If anything they were atleast the same. The demo DVDs were completely different and was playing HD movie trailers (superman etc) and the sales guy was not willing to hand me over the remote (!) as it was connected to all the TVs(?)

Either LG improved the quality of their panels 'a lot' or the panasonic degraded in quality (from what I have been reading regarding PV series) or I had so much of expectation for the panasonic.

Samsung plasmas are like 'invisible'.. I can't believe when I called up a samsung brand shop and they told that they don't display plasmas and if I mention the model, they will be able to deliver it!

Blasto, it looks like u r from Hyd.. the last i searched for the Samsung Plasmas, Bajaj Electronics and Chroma (Punjagutta) both had the Series 4 on display.. it was also available at Reliance Digital, Banjara Hills..

u could check out any of these places.. in terms of pricing, i've found the Bajaj Electronics folks to be most willing to negotiate, in general.. good luck!

Actually I also observed the same, PQ70 that I saw looked a lot better than C10's even in Dimly lit showrooms, which leads me to believe that perhaps C10 panels are not as good LG PQ's (Execpt for Black levels).

Im not contesting the experts here, but my perception (and my Fiance) felt that LG Plasma were better than Panasonic at entry level. Perhaps X10 and above must be better.

LG PQ60 vs Panasonic C10/X10

Now, This thread started somewhere and is moving towards somewhere else. :D Anyway I will put my observations here till I buy that exotic TV Iam looking for. :)

Went to bangalore last weekend to visit my friend and we went to the E-Zone in Indira Nagar 100 ft road to purchase a mobile for him. As with my experience with ezone, he did not have the mobile I was looking for on stock. :indifferent14:

But when I asked whether they have plasmas on display, He said they have LG and Panasonic on display on the first floor. :eek:hyeah: Wasted no time and went to the first floor.

There were LG PQ30, PQ60 and Panasonic C10, x10 and lots of other plasmas all were in display. :yahoo: Wonder of wonders! No salesman around in first floor :eek: 2PM on a sunday! There were 2 other guys looking at the LCDs. They really have a good collection of LCDs and plasmas.

Now for the comparison itself.

In short PQ30 & PQ60 had same PQ. Also, C10 & X10 had same PQ.

The PQ30 and C10 were displayed one below another for comparison. Below are my observations.

Colours/Black level :

ONLY on side by side comparison, I could notice that the PQ30 falls short in 'actual' colour reproduction. The 'blue'/'green' seem a bit prominent in the PQ30/60. Does that make the picture look bad? Depends!

Pictures like sea, beach, island, lake (anything blue) looks gorgeous in the LG. The C10 seems to portray the 'exact' colours and so falls short when it comes to 'sexyness' of the scenaries. But this is a good indication that the panasonic will do better in 'most' cases.

Green cannot be anymore sexier than it was from the LG in the price range. it could be because of the prominent blue. The Football HD video was full of life in the LG due to gorgeous green.

Red -> This where the panasonic 'shines' literally. I would ask you to do this test as the benchmark. Ask the sales man to display something red. (they usually have a video which has baloons in different colours which they dont demo in LCD but only on LED). The red is really 'RED' in the panasonic plasma. LG plasma had a colour deviation but you cannot notice it if you see it alone. (Same goes for non-blue related colours like 'DARK BROWN'. Pana is better.)

Comparitively, the LCDs only produced dark maroons. :eek: :eek: I mean how hard is it to reproduce one of the basic colours? 'RED'? Is'nt it one of the 3 colours in RGB? Why do they screw up with this? Only one particular sony LCD model I saw there seem to have sorted this 'RED' issue as good as plasmas. Anyway you have to see to believe. Try it out next time when you are in showroom.

So, LG has this red deficiency in all modes. But is not noticible in absence of panasonic. If I keep the LG as benchmark and view the panasonic from there, It WOULD seem like the panasonic had a prominent 'Golden'/'light brown' haze. (Jus for comparison, not the case)

Screens with dominent shades of Blue, Green, Yellow, White, Ornage, Violet, Silver etc will look better on the LG.
Screens with dominent shades of Black, Brown, Gold, Red, Majenta etc will look better on the Panasonic.

Black is good in both LG and Panasonic. Infact, in some scenes where the faces appear blue in the dark scenes (moon light), LG had an upper hand. The trailers with complete black and flash of lightning etc, appear noticiable better in the panasonic. No doubt. There is also another reason for LG appearing better in spite of red/black deficiency. It is the brightness of the LG panel. I will come to it in a while.

White also looks great on LG than the panasonic. This could also be attributed to the 'blue' prominance. (The effect is similar to using robin liquid blue for white shirts.. :D )

Contrast :

I have often read that black level and contrast are one and the same. Atleast directly proportional. My observations says me a different story.

Panasonic while having better black levels, does not have as good contrast as the LG. I do not know how to explain this.

The green football ground appear so much sexy for a reason. Each and every grass was visible in the LG on a casual look. In the panasonic, you have to look more carefully. There is definetely a loss in detail in panasonic. I don't know if this can be attributed to contrast. Also, LG is more bright, that could be the reason.

Brightness :

LG all the way. Panasonic fall short by quite a margin. The PQ30/60 approaches LCD in brightness IMO. This is directly visible to naked eye.

When switched off, while the LG looks like a 'mirror' literally and panasonic is a bit less reflective, switching on, we get a different picture altogether. The LG seems to throw a better picture in the 'not so dark' room. It is noticiably brighter.

Image Retention:

One of the stupidest idea that can come to a plasma salesman is displaying half of the screen in more brightness than the other half. This was exactly what was happening in the showroom!

The LG PQ30/60 in display was showing half the screen in XD mode and the other half in non-XD mode to show viewers how sexy XD is! Infact, if anything, it looked like they degraded the quality of non-XD side. It had a grey haze. It also had 'XD' and 'NORMAL' displayed on the screen for what seems like a month the TV was on display.

I couldn't stand it and called the sales person from below and tried to use this mode only when necessary as it would make the piece useless if the image retains. He talked about anti-IR technologies built in. I asked him to bring back the TV to 'normal' mode so that I can see it. He willing did and sure there was 'no' IR. It might be because the characters were grey & colourless but even the full screen seem 'full' and not 'two halfs' which IS a wonder. I again warned hin not to use the XD demo mode on plasma which I don't think he will do.

Baseline, I could not see the IR in any of the TVs there. probably they were new enough not to have any. (I did not go insanely near the panels but observed from normal viewing distance)

Sound :

LG has nothing to offer in this department, though PQ70 having two extra speakers which might help (never demoed). Panny is also not great but is better than LG by quite a margin.

Summary -

LG - RED weaker than Panasonic, Black levels in most scenes match the pana, Brighter than pana by quite a margin, I feel it has more contrast than the pana, Blue prominence actually increase picture quality in some cases (subjective), Greens are sexy! (again may be due to brightness), More suited for 'Not so dark' rooms, Lots of features, Costs less than pana.

Pana - Excellent RED/Black levels, Produces exact same colours the video intended (This could be bad in some cases), Less options for picture enhancements (Not that the original picture was bad). Better sound than LG. Needs comparitively darker room to shine.

Conclusion:

Panasonic has got all the basics of plasmas right! But unfortunately it carried forward all the disadvantages of a 'typical' plasma also. (Less brightness, lesser picture enhancement modes, Reflective when viewing, Requirement for dark rooms etc)

LG has put the effort in the areas of 'disadvantages' of plasmas and seem to have succeeded in archieving few of them. (Has better brightness, Suited for 'Not so dark' rooms, Reflective surface is not as reflective when switched on, Looks gorgeous, Features, Features & Features to match the LCD rivals!). It still has some problems getting the 'basics' right though these may not be the typical problems a viewer faces (ie does not notice in isolation from panasonic). Also, Priced it very competetive!

Both are good TVs on their own right. It finally depends on your personal preference and budget.

P.S 1: While some in the forum feel that PQ30 is less reflective than the PQ60/70. My observation says otherwise. PQ60 is defenitely more reflective when switched off, but better handles reflections than PQ30 when switched on. Panasonic is more reflective than both LGs.

P.S 2: Adder once mentioned about the C10/X10 having 'lesser' whites than PV8 & PV80. This might be the reason they seem 'not so bright'. I have not seen the PV series yet and the above observation is ONLY for C10/X10.

Last edited:
Re: LG PQ60 vs Panasonic C10/X10

N

There were LG PQ30, PQ60 and Panasonic C10, x10 and lots of other plasmas all were in display. :yahoo: Wonder of wonders! No salesman around in first floor :eek: 2PM on a sunday! There were 2 other guys looking at the LCDs. They really have a good collection of LCDs and plasmas.

Now for the comparison itself.

In short PQ30 & PQ60 had same PQ. Also, C10 & X10 had same PQ.

Were there any Samsung Plasmas.
I was pretty impressed by Samsung Plasma, But I was put off by its price (Samsung Exclusive showroom in Forum, And I dont remember the price, but it was unreasonable :rolleyes:)
Looked impressive in the showroom, but since i couldnt see it with any other plasmas, I couldnt draw much of parallel.

Hey friends some info about the UA40B6000(rather UE40B600)

Samsung UE40B6000VW LED LCD TV Review at AVForums.com

on both pros/cons.

If not read previously, ENJOY!!

very commanly asked info
"In measuring the B6000 we found our first issue with this new technology. To achieve the desired black levels that Samsung are aiming for with the LED system, they are using an automatic dimming system (not local dimming- that is only available with an LED backlight). The effect of this dimming, which cannot be turned off in the main menus or service menu areas, is to adjust the screen luminance in such a way that it makes greyscale set up very difficult. I will cover the other issues with the dimming later. "----from the same link
cheers..

Last edited:

Were there any Samsung Plasmas.
I was pretty impressed by Samsung Plasma, But I was put off by its price (Samsung Exclusive showroom in Forum, And I dont remember the price, but it was unreasonable :rolleyes:)
Looked impressive in the showroom, but since i couldnt see it with any other plasmas, I couldnt draw much of parallel.

There were 50" models I think.. There were some 50" sonys displayed in plasma area.. Do not know if they were plasmas.. Last I know, Sony do not make plasmas.. Did not look for samsung as they were costlier than the panasonics.. Feature wise also not so good.. 42" Iam not so sure.. There were lots, So my guess is there should have been a samsung 42" also.. Was searching for samsung for quite sometime and stopped as none had stock. The store guy also mentioned about LG & Panasonic only, So, It din't hit me to look for a samsung..

Anyone in indira nagar, can you confirm? Iam back in hyderabad.

Last edited:

Contrast :

I have often read that black level and contrast are one and the same. Atleast directly proportional. My observations says me a different story.

Panasonic while having better black levels, does not have as good contrast as the LG. I do not know how to explain this.

It is the otherway.
Brightness is what defines blacklevel. Contrast defines white levels.

The brightness control adjusts how dark the dark and black sections of the picture appear.

contrast controls the intensity of the bright and white parts of the image and, on TVs without a backlight control, determines the overall light output of the display.

So Guys, I guess this is it.

PQ70 plasma or LH90 LED or the C10 in that order. Planning to have a look at all those once again before I decide.

Anything else I should be looking at the last minute?

Will there be any discount sales in the near future (christmas/year end) that I should wait for?

Thanks,

So Guys, I guess this is it.

PQ70 plasma or LH90 LED or the C10 in that order. Planning to have a look at all those once again before I decide.

Anything else I should be looking at the last minute?

Will there be any discount sales in the near future (christmas/year end) that I should wait for?

Thanks,

Hi,

LG LED is a good option, they are in tight competition with the samsung for their LED TV.......... check out this link

YouTube - LG Borderless??????? @ ????IFA 2009 (AV??Channel) [ISSUE 116] [HD]

YouTube - LG SL 9500 @ IFA 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKcEJz8a09E&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwLGLnfP148&feature=related

To be launched in asia in the month NOV end. And their PQ is ultimate.

cheers

Last edited:
Hi,

LG LED is a good option, they are in tight competition with the samsung for their LED TV.......... check out this link

To be launched in asia in the month NOV end. And their PQ is ultimate.

cheers

Iam pretty sure, this way, Iam going to see these TVs only in youtube :D .
But can wait for sometime as november has already started. :rolleyes:

I bought my LG 42LH90 LED tv for Rs.72000/- o% on March.2010. I had seen almost all brands LCD Tv but after such an offer I jumped for it. This TV is amazing. Please note that not all LCD/LED show good PQ on standard defination. Also LG LED is FULL LED Tv unlike Samsung and others.

It is indeed more value for less money

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back