Legal copy of Don

venkatcr

This afternoon I was just browsing through the shelves at Landmark and came across this copy of the new Don. This is a DVD released by T-Series for Rs.49. (No typos there). I just could not help it and picked it up. Coming back home. I was surprised at the quality of the DVD - absolutely pristine. No artifacts, and very clear. Of course to save costs, it is sold in a cheap cardboard cover, but a good quality DVD jewel box is less than 10 bucks.

The total cost is less than a small bag of pop corn in Inox !!

Landmark has a large collection and I am going back there to pick up a dozen or so movies.

If Moser Baer, T-Series, and other companies keep this up, it will effectively kill all piracy. They should look at releasing new movies at 200 odd rupees. I am sure that will really kill all piracy.

Kudos to these guys.

Cheers

Venkat ,

i agree with you on the same, landmark does have some excellent dvd's of Moser Bear, T series and other manufacturers under Rs 50,

Last year when i visited them i myself picked up few titles and the prints were excellent.

With the quality of Moser DVDs, i have observed that the picture and sound quality is not up to the mark when i watch them via projector, therefore i always hope that other better competitors have the rights to the DVDs.

However when you both say that they are good in quality then i am wondering where am i going wrong in understanding the picture and sound quality.

The piracy factor can come down but will never go, as most of them are happy with the pirated, as they can get to see the movie within few days, then waiting for the original, which will take anywhere between 2/3 months.

Thanks.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: Ostriches live about 75 years and can reproduce for 50 years.

Last edited:
With the quality of Moser DVDs, i have observed that the picture and sound quality is not up to the mark when i watch them via projector, therefore i always hope that other better competitors have the rights to the DVDs.

However when you both say that they are good in quality then i am wondering where am i going wrong in understanding the picture and sound quality.

Vinay, not all Moser Baer or other such DVDs are of good quality. I have a number of old movies that are not that good, but I buy them for nostalgic reasons and to add to my collection.

In any case why don't your try scaling these movies up to 720P and see how they look. Some of the good titles are 'Jab We Met', and the new Don. I want to see how 'Fashion' is. Moser Baer has just released a copy. I also saw a number of English movies going at 200 to 300 such as Hollow Man, Seraphin Falls, etc.

The piracy factor can come down but will never go, as most of them are happy with the pirated, as they can get to see the movie within few days, then waiting for the original, which will take anywhere between 2/3 months.

I agree on that, but some of these 'new' releases are horrible, and not worth watching at all.

Cheers

This afternoon I was just browsing through the shelves at Landmark and came across this copy of the new Don. This is a DVD released by T-Series for Rs.49. (No typos there). I just could not help it and picked it up. Coming back home. I was surprised at the quality of the DVD - absolutely pristine. No artifacts, and very clear. Of course to save costs, it is sold in a cheap cardboard cover, but a good quality DVD jewel box is less than 10 bucks.

Landmark has a large collection and I am going back there to pick up a dozen or so movies.

If Moser Baer, T-Series, and other companies keep this up, it will effectively kill all piracy. They should look at releasing new movies at 200 odd rupees. I am sure that will really kill all piracy.

Kudos to these guys.

Cheers

But i see most of the moserbear dvd doesnt give 5.1 sound though the video is clear. This is an area of concern.

Thanks,
Prakash.

In any case why don't your try scaling these movies up to 720P and see how they look. Some of the good titles are 'Jab We Met', and the new Don.

Cheers

Hi Venkat

Thanks for the info. For nostalgic reasons, I picked up the copy of Don and watched it in one sitting (after a loooong time I am watching a hindi movie through). The print quality is excellent and my Oppo set to 720P upscale does a good job on it.

Also I watched a part of Jab We Met (my wife's collection) and watched about 30 mins of it with the same scaling. The quality was not that different than the new Don but still very viewable. Finally, I saw Om S Om and it was actually of slightly lower quality than the first two.

The audio is comparable across all 3, however fro the quality I would recommend a 2.1 configuration though.

You are welcome Marsilians. It is 1030 in the night, and I am going to start seeing the Don now. I am sure I will be bleary eyed by the time I finish. I am also setting up a new test HT system using a Yamaha 663 with PSB speakers. I plan to re-see the movie again using that system. I am also planning to test it on the Pioneer 610.

I would request all members to publish information on good DVDs they come across, even if the movies are old.

Cheers

Kudos to these guys.

Cheers

Hi Venkat:

This DVD was given free of cost along with one of the issues of Digit some months ago. I agree with you on the quality - both audio and video. But then, lot of scenes are missing from the disc. They tried to fit in the entire movie on a single-layer DVD (in the process, removing a few scenes). The original dual-layer disc and a double-disc pack (borrowed from the library) was far better.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Kudos to these guys.

Cheers

I do concur.

I watched T-Series movie "Bhool Bhulaiya" couple of weeks back, good picture quality and 5.1 Dolby Digital audio (I guess there was no option to select 5.1 DTS, not sure as i watched the movie in decemeber).

I will also try setting it up to 720p and see if there is any further improvement in picture quality, Took the original DVD for Rs. 50/- :).

Thanks
Ramesh S

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back