Lenco L75 Build

Kuruvilajacob,

Even Cardas rewire kits are freely available on ebay. 9" and 12" versions. With heatshrinking too for all four wires, solder too. Not that expensive when you consider they'll last for years.

I've got my second run of Cardas wire ready for my second tonearm for a headshell socket to phono amp input no joint rewire job.

Of course there's fun in DIYing like Hiten has done too :)

Regards

I have also been seriously thinking of using headphone wires to replace the tone arm wires which need to be replaced. It is so difficult to get tone arm wires these days. I would expect it to perform better than wires which have to be soldered at several places
kurivillajacob,
For high quality turntables 34 awg solid core pure silver wires would be great. 1877 PHONO :licklips:
As I have not so good turntable I got away with using nokia wire. I got lured by total copper thickness and flexibility of Nokia headphone wire. Even though collectively thickness of copper strands was greater I heard less powerful low frequencies. need to properly listen again. But do try it as it will be a good practice before replacing with a proper wire and at this pre-preamp level they do sound different. I would recommend to use fewer strands higher gauge wires with each channel+ground twisted separately. Some computer connectors has these characteristics but are stiff. Will look some more and post the find here.
Regards

The 'Thump' is back !
28awg.jpg

Lucky Me. Found some new wires. These are 28 AWG copper wires. Which are more thicker than 34 AWG. I have been told these cable are used by electronic engineer students for projects. Have soldered and listened to these. My original sound quality is back. Insulation is little thicker but OK. Got color coded wires too. Will see if there are any local source for soild core silver wires.
P.S. : Will not recommend too many times of wire changing. As Tonearm assembly screws are very tiny and I think with couple of more changes the threads will wear out. Also not good for gold plated lugs.
Regards

Very nice read arj. As always amps/turntables/speakers or otherthings 'implementation' is the key. Great thinking in making of that Lenco L75 (Solid 12). Quoting from the link...
Restoring and tweaking old turntables is definitely a well-established niche in the audiophile world. It is not only fun to do but also a very manly activity. One can compare it to restoring vintage cars, rifles, motorcycles and what not as long as it can be done with tools. Gizmo [Harvey Rosenberg Ed] was very right in his insistence that man is the eternal tool maker. Concentrating on turntables now, restoration is only the start of this game. In audio there is always a next step up the better ladder and turntables are an ideal subject for improvement.
Again, men love to restore then tweak things as long as it involves dangerous tools and marking the outcome with their signature as a form of Joe was here olfactory stamp.
... +1 :eek:hyeah:
Regards

Very neat implementation and a great price!!
If I was in the market for a TT today this would have been among the tops on my short list.

Peter's Top Plate is a radical implementation and bypasses the one bugbear of vintage Lencos - their not too rigid top plate. Also, the design manages to isolate the motor very well.

The only reason I didn't undertake the PTP is because there is no elegant way to change speed. One stays stuck to one speed (at least that was the case the last time I checked). It would be so nice to be able to play 33 and 45.

Peter's Top Plate is a radical implementation and bypasses the one bugbear of vintage Lencos - their not too rigid top plate. Also, the design manages to isolate the motor very well.

The only reason I didn't undertake the PTP is because there is no elegant way to change speed. One stays stuck to one speed (at least that was the case the last time I checked). It would be so nice to be able to play 33 and 45.

In the last 6 months or so, the number of times I have switched my TT motor to 45rpm is less than 10, even though I have a decent number of 45 rpm LPs. While it is great to have but really it should not come in the way of choosing a quality TT. LP12 also suffers from a similar lack of rpm compatibility, they have a work around but it is too tedious to use it. Look at the popularity of LP12, hardly anyone complains about 45 rpm issue.

there is a speed control but it is below the platter..so while it is not easy, it can be done. (he recommends using sanders speed box which is not something I want to do.). it is that metal knob you see with a groove in the below pic
http://6moons.com/audioreviews/lenco2/11.png

Last edited:
For Anyone looking out, here is a great deal..for close to 35K including shipping duty a very good restored lenco (with a decent plinth) add a good tone-arm/cart/phono and you are on.

just one problem is it is for 60Hz and you need to ask him about the 50Hz option

Back