Let's hear about your city traffic and how good your driving?

The new micro Flyover's which are being build in Madras is really scary, some of them only have space for auto's and small cars, also they build them very fast and they look fragile.

Apart from the micro death flyovers i feel everything else pretty OK with Madras, it needs more side walks and people need to use sidewalks. Madras does have better, wider roads than many other Indian cities.

Bangalore does have a few beautiful roads but the planning is very bad.Making one ways to control traffic is the worst thing that can ever happen to city planning. Unlike Madras Bangalore has good sidewalks and people use them properly.The city has really twisted roads and it is not easy to find your way across the city like you can in Madras.

I drive hardly 1 kilometer to reach my office everyday and some times go for a drive on Sunday(Madras is empty on Sunday) so i guess i cant complain much about traffic. I do love driving on ECR , marina through santhome road on sunday's.

Last edited:
well, I used to drive 18-20 km from faridabad (home) to Noida (office) and back every day. It used to eat up significant time of my life. So I have moved out of my own house and rented another accommodation closer to the office. Now I drive 10-15 mins each side every day. But hoping the traffic from fdbd will get better and I will move back to my great house in fdbd.

Hear at Ghaziabad, tractors rule the roads. They ply in every nook and corner of the city to carry building material, steel, grains and what not. Roads are good but the best lane i.e. right hand side is captured by tractors.
Buses and auto are another names of nightmare. Buses have made their own bus stands right on the roads defying all orders of the local administration. The local administration is helpless as the bus Mafia has nexus with police.
Left hand driving is seldom observed by locals. This is because coordination between civic bodies and traffic police is totally missing.

In my case i have been fortunate enough that there is as good as no travelling as i work from home.

On Sunday's quite often i visit my mummy's house which is about 15 Km away, i face very less traffic because it is a holiday, i stay the night at her place and on Monday morning's i leave at 6.00 in the morning so that there is no traffic and i reach my home in 20/25 minutes. If i have to travel in peak hours then it will take me much more then a hour while there are other benefits too by starting early in the day.

During week days if i have to travel in rare cases then i never ever use my car, i take a taxi or auto and try to choose the travel timings which are not of those peak hours.

V.

Last edited:
I am surprised that people go on to claim that Chennai offers the 3rd best commute - in the world!!! Does anybody seriously believe that?

It may be better than Bangalore. But I dont know that judging it against a city straining against its seams and threatening to implode is such a good idea. Chennai is a nightmare - on the roads. No getting away from that. As is pretty much anywhere in India. We cant get away from that.

I dont know about Bangalore. But in Chennai the way vehicles with the ruling party flag drive can give anyone the heebie-jeebies.

This is a important topic as traffic is one of the determinants of quality of life that you enjoy in your city.

How many of us are lucky enough to choose our city of living ? so we have to make do with whatever city we have.

When I was abroad, the city roads were all four-lanes and driving below speed of 80/kmph considered a hinderance to traffic.
Issue of driving license is a priviege abroad and u have to work hard for it. U hav to enroll for driving classes, practical and theory. And changing of lane etc is not seen.

I am surprised that people go on to claim that Chennai offers the 3rd best commute - in the world!!! Does anybody seriously believe that?

It may be better than Bangalore. But I dont know that judging it against a city straining against its seams and threatening to implode is such a good idea. Chennai is a nightmare - on the roads. No getting away from that. As is pretty much anywhere in India. We cant get away from that.

I dont know about Bangalore. But in Chennai the way vehicles with the ruling party flag drive can give anyone the heebie-jeebies.

I assume that claim has much to do with the 'commute' and not driving particularly.

In chennai, start from anywhere and go anywhere, you WILL find a public transport in terms of minutes. The metro rail and city bus service is best as far as I have seen. Add to that alternate routes to a location (which prevents bottlenecks). From A to B, you can reach via atleast 2-3 different ways.

All the above may seem like taken for granted for a chennai resident but look from outside and you will know how efficient it is. For example, Hi-Tech city area in hyderabad where 50% of software companies exist has very poor connectivity. Gachibowli which hosts the rest of the companies has NO (I repeat NO) public connectivity. Compare this to the OMR for instance and you will appreciate what Iam trying to convey.

In comparison to bangalore, though public transport is pretty good, there are bottlenecks everywhere. Add to that the mushrooming one ways in terms of days. I hope the situation will improve once the metro rail project is complete.

Actually you're in a much better position than most people in the world are. :) In Depth: World's 10 Best Commutes - 3. Chennai, India - Forbes.com

There seem to some really serious mistakes in this article. I think the author must have been high on hashish when he wrote this article.

Chennai roads are narrow and overcrowded. The government has recently allowed something called a share auto which pack people like sardines and make the middle of the road their bus stops. In the recent past I have seen more and more pedestrians walk in the middle of the road, forcing traffic to slow down to 10-15 kmph.

I travel quite often by the local train system to go to Parrys. I do this because it is impossible to get parking spot in Parrys. The trains are noisy, smelly and you need to certainly have a bath after you take a ride. I fail to understand how one can ride this and work a while day in office. Stations that are less than a year old, look ancient with no maintenance whatsoever. Actually some of the stations have not even been completed. You see large unpainted walls as well as steel girders sticking out in many places. Even with the station you have to walk around puddles on the floor as well as unmentionable dirt.

The third best in the world? As I said the author must have been high to drugs.

Cheers

Last edited:
There seem to some really serious mistakes in this article. I think the author must have been high on hashish when he wrote this article.

Chennai roads are narrow and overcrowded. The government has recently allowed something called a share auto which pack people like sardines and make the middle of the road their bus stops. In the recent past I have seen more and more pedestrians walk in the middle of the road, forcing traffic to slow down to 10-15 kmph.

I travel quite often by the local train system to go to Parrys. I do this because it is impossible to get parking spot in Parrys. The trains are noisy, smelly and you need to certainly have a bath after you take a ride. I fail to understand how one can ride this and work a while day in office. Stations that are less than a year old, look ancient with no maintenance whatsoever. Actually some of the stations have not even been completed. You see large unpainted walls as well as steel girders sticking out in many places. Even with the station you have to walk around puddles on the floor as well as unmentionable dirt.

The third best in the world. As I said the author must have been high to drugs.

Cheers

I think the article is all about sarcasm. :D:D
Either that or forbes thinks like "Grass on the other side is green". Or they interchanged the lists by mistake. ;)

According to them 10 best are, http://www.forbes.com/2008/10/28/co...w_1028realestate_slide_2.html?thisspeed=25000

10. Berlin, Germany
9. Krakow, Poland
8. Mumbai, India
7. Beijing, China
6. London, UK
5. Osaka, Japan
4. Dakar, Senegal
3. Chennai, India
2. Tokyo, Japan
1. Hong Kong, China

I don't see any from US there. All are mostly from Asia (ie Grass on the other side)

On the contrary, here is the 10 worst list. http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/24/ci..._0424realestate3_slide_2.html?thisspeed=25000

10. San Francisco, California
9. Los Angeles, California
8. Houston, Texas
7. Washington, D.C
6. Tampa, Florida
5. Dallas, Texas
4. Orlando, Florida
3. Miami, Florida
2. Detroit, Michigan
1. Atlanta, Georgia

I see almost all cities I know from US in the list. :D :D
You calculate the odds.

Last edited:
If you think your city is very bad for commuters, either move to a different city or adapt your driving/commuting to what your city offers. Why complain and end up doing nothing but frustrate yourself more. :)

To be honest, I've never found even Bangalore traffic (which everyone seems to agree is the worst they've seen) a problem in my 3 years of being there. Haven't had much daily commuting experience in Chennai as my office here is right under my home. :)

EDIT: Oops! Sorry about the image in the signature. :D It has no relevance to this post!

I assume that claim has much to do with the 'commute' and not driving particularly.

In chennai, start from anywhere and go anywhere, you WILL find a public transport in terms of minutes. The metro rail and city bus service is best as far as I have seen. Add to that alternate routes to a location (which prevents bottlenecks). From A to B, you can reach via atleast 2-3 different ways.

All the above may seem like taken for granted for a chennai resident but look from outside and you will know how efficient it is. For example, Hi-Tech city area in hyderabad where 50% of software companies exist has very poor connectivity. Gachibowli which hosts the rest of the companies has NO (I repeat NO) public connectivity. Compare this to the OMR for instance and you will appreciate what Iam trying to convey.

In comparison to bangalore, though public transport is pretty good, there are bottlenecks everywhere. Add to that the mushrooming one ways in terms of days. I hope the situation will improve once the metro rail project is complete.

Blasto - it is true that there is a profusion of options available as far as public transport is concerned. Having it available and using it though are two different things.

As my wife is fond of saying, the MTC buses are very frequent. But getting into it and out at a particular bus stop is an art (or a science). Moreover when you get off it, you are apt to look like a fresh rape victim more than anything else.

Seriously the guy does not deserve a second look if he thinks Chennai is the 3rd best commute in the world.

If you think your city is very bad for commuters, either move to a different city or adapt your driving/commuting to what your city offers. Why complain and end up doing nothing but frustrate yourself more. :)

I dont quite agree with the views that one should remain a mute spectator and should not voice his opinion/ vent his anger/ register his grievance at the appropriate citizens forums(HFV is one such forum).And it is not feasible for everyone to move to a new city. Demanding better commuting facility is a citizen's right.

Haven't had much daily commuting experience in Chennai as my office here is right under my home. :)

Now we can see why you dont appreciate the genuine concerns/frustration of other chennaiites

Blasto - it is true that there is a profusion of options available as far as public transport is concerned. Having it available and using it though are two different things.

As my wife is fond of saying, the MTC buses are very frequent. But getting into it and out at a particular bus stop is an art (or a science). Moreover when you get off it, you are apt to look like a fresh rape victim more than anything else.

Seriously the guy does not deserve a second look if he thinks Chennai is the 3rd best commute in the world.

Well, I agree wholeheartedly!
Infact, I think it is much better nowadays with water problem mostly solved as I hear from residents.

I can remember the days when I was in chennai beginning my carrer. There was acute shortage of water and most days you end up without enough water for bathing. :D
Add this to the position of your hands when you are standing on the bus + high humidity levels coupled with temperature in summers. :sad: :sad: Terrible experience I should say. :rolleyes:

But, looking from the perspective of a forign organization conducting survey, they see the options. But dont get inside a bus and try how plausible it is to make use of the options. :eek:hyeah:

I dont quite agree with the views that one should remain a mute spectator and should not voice his opinion/ vent his anger/ register his grievance at the appropriate citizens forums(HFV is one such forum).And it is not feasible for everyone to move to a new city. Demanding better commuting facility is a citizen's right.

Now we can see why you dont appreciate the genuine concerns/frustration of other chennaiites

Penning down one's thought about how much he hates/loves something is only going to amplify the feeling of hatred/love. I'm sure the ones who vented it out are only feeling more hatred towards the traffic problems. Why worry about uncontrollable forces? The best we can do is workaround the problems while contributing our best to mend the problems.

People want wide roads, neatly maintained stations etc. but then more people will be complaining if we actually get wide roads and well maintained stations. (wide roads->less real estate->longer commutes and well maintained stations->more maintenance costs->more taxation and fees). In Chennai especially, city planning is really well done. Inside the city, tall structures are not allowed so that population density is kept under check; taller structures are allowed only on the suburbs located close to wide roads. The IT hubs, airport, bus stands, railway station are all connected by long, wide, straight roads and signal-less overbridges are being built at major congestion areas. The areas not easily connected to the major roads will be connected by the upcoming underground metro. Even cooum river has been planned to be cleaned up and used for commercial transportation. Recently, a friend of mine in Stanford proudly said that in their classes Indian cities are studied as a case on how to successfully tackle population growth.

Seeing things from the authorities' perspective only puts us in a better position to demand better facilities and I'm showcasing what's good about Indian traffic management. This I think is as helpful to the forum as what complaining is. Practically speaking, none of us is ever going to do anything beyond discussing in forums about traffic problems. So, what's the use in complaining and only getting even more frustrated ? That's the point I'm conveying. No probs if you don't agree. That's my view and I'm sticking to it.

And I'm not immune to traffic problems either. I did say I've commuted in Bangalore for 3 years. Even in Chennai, though I don't have daily commutes, I do have to commute 60kms a day occasionally. Yet, I've never found either Bangalore traffic or Chennai traffic frustrating.

vramak - no offense meant, but I could not believe my eyes when I was reading this post of yours.

Feedback is the most important part of any given lifecycle. In life or in business. And the complaints are nothing but feedback. Now, if the government or the powers that be do not use it, then that only points to poor governance among other things.

City planning is well done in Chennai? I am finding it hard to believe all this, you know :). And I am no stranger to the city myself. You find yourself in any part of the city this side of Saidapet - towards Velachery, then you probably need to be rescued on rafts or boats if there is heavy rain! And that is no exaggeration. Every time there is heavy rain we read about how young school going children and elders get electrocuted by electrical cables which come into contact with water on the street. We hear of people falling into ditches and drains and manholes because they are not able to see it over the water collected on top of the potholed excuse that goes for roads.

I fail to see what part of this constitutes good city planning. And believe me I am being kind in ignoring various other nasty things involved in your average Chennai commute.

If we the citizens do not get angry at this pathetic state, then not only will this status quo remain but it can and probably will deteriorate in the future.

About whether people are doing anything other than complaining - that is an individual question, best asked individually. I do my bit. I try to maintain my sanity and my temper and always try and drive during off peak hours. I always try and obey the traffic lights even if there is bus or a lorry behind threatening to run me over if I dont go past a red light. And lastly when I am caught committing an offense (such as talking on the cell phone while driving), I pay due fines without arguing. So on, so forth.

Feedback is the most important part of any given lifecycle. In life or in business. And the complaints are nothing but feedback. Now, if the government or the powers that be do not use it, then that only points to poor governance among other things.

Certainly! I'm giving feedback too. Just that it's positive feedback. :)

City planning is well done in Chennai? I am finding it hard to believe all this, you know :). And I am no stranger to the city myself. You find yourself in any part of the city this side of Saidapet - towards Velachery, then you probably need to be rescued on rafts or boats if there is heavy rain! And that is no exaggeration. Every time there is heavy rain we read about how young school going children and elders get electrocuted by electrical cables which come into contact with water on the street. We hear of people falling into ditches and drains and manholes because they are not able to see it over the water collected on top of the potholed excuse that goes for roads.

I fail to see what part of this constitutes good city planning. And believe me I am being kind in ignoring various other nasty things involved in your average Chennai commute.

I do agree about Velachery and rains. It's disheartening to see people's houses flooded with water there. You're talking rainwater drainage and I'm talking mainly about traffic/commute management and I find Chennai to be very well planned at least in that respect.

And lastly when I am caught committing an offense (such as talking on the cell phone while driving), I pay due fines without arguing. So on, so forth.

See, despite being an educated person, you still talk on the cell phone while driving, posing a threat to yourself and to others on the road. Then what can we expect from cab drivers and autodrivers ? I've actually found many cab drivers to be excellent drivers and having much better road sense than many self-driving officergoers.

Talking about taking it further, I think except very, very few, all that most people do is just complain and have not the slightest intention to take the problem to the authorities and demand a solution. ( Heck, most people don't even vote and simply enjoy the day off.) If you have complaints, register your complaints to the relevant authorities or at least in relevant forums. Like I've been saying from the beginning, complaining about traffic on a audio/video forum will only make you more frustrated about it.

vramak - lest it not be clear to you as yet, it is not inhuman to make mistakes. What is decent is to accept the mistake made and act in a civilized fashion. That was my point. And may I point out that there is simply no correlation between one's education and one's manners or sense or lack thereof? And it would be my undiluted pleasure to meet somebody who has committed no traffic (or other) offense in their life.

And by the way, I know a lot of people who are similarly frustrated (or even more). I am not sure if you read the 'Letters to the Editor' section of any major daily. It is all there and more...

Lastly it is not just Velachery which is affected and it is not just rain water stagnation which is the only problem. That was an example.

Chennai traffic is pathetic - in general. Drivers have little to no road sense. There is no gainsaying all that.

Having said all that, you are, as always, free to disagree. However there is no need to muzzle any criticism of Chennai's or for that matter any city's traffic chaos. Sometimes venting out and sharing thoughts with like-minded people is a release. Or so I have read... :)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back