Let's talk digital!

(1) When you see the "ready, now use the web interface", what is the type of your connection? Are you using a wired connection as suggested?

(2) What is the make and model of your router?

(3) Have you done any configuration on your router? Or is it working with all the default settings?

(4) In your Tab, have you activated WiFi? Have you checked by going to the settings that the Tab is actually connected to the same network as Daphile computer? Or is it connected to some other network?

(1) Yes , i did connected my laptop by wired connection

(2)Make & Model : Belkin- B10

(3)yes the router is running with all default settings

(4) The Tab is connected to the same network as daphile laptop is connected to ( I have only 1 wifi network at home)

Laptop connected to router by wired & tab by wifi

anymore ideas?

Last edited:
(1) Yes , i did connected my laptop by wired connection

(2)Make & Model : Belkin- B10

(3)yes the router is running with all default settings

(4) The Tab is connected to the same network as daphile laptop is connected to ( I have only 1 wifi network at home)

Laptop connected to router by wired & tab by wifi

anymore ideas?

There are two-three work arounds.

(1) Guess the IP and call the Daphile by IP. Try these IPs one by one.

http://192.168.2.2
http://192.168.2.3
http://192.168.2.4
http://192.168.2.5
http://192.168.2.6
http://192.168.2.7

and so on.... if you are lucky, one of these IPs should be able to get you there. If not, router configuration isn't straight.

(2) Boot to windows and find out the IP. In a command window give the command IPCONFIG. It will show the IP of the computer. Now boot to Daphile. The IP should remain the same. You can use the same IP.

(3) Ask the router. You can log in to Router administration panel by typing http://192.168.2.1

Username and password will be at the back. Once into the router admin panel, you can see the IP of the Daphile computer.

One of these will definitely work.

Thanks dude. i checked DHCP client list (as suggested by you) & i found the IP. Daphile UI opened.Other instruction for settings are already being said, i do & follow.

You can also use ipscanner software for this purpose. It lists ips of all the devices connected to the LAN.

Yup, this is another good method.

I use the same if on Windows. From a mobile device, I just log on to the router and check the attached device list.

Just a suggestion for anybody facing the same problem...

If you want to do a trial&error, begin by opening a command window on the "control" machine, and type IPCONFIG.

Now you will know the ip of that machine, and you will know to try 192.168.1.n, 192.168.2.n or whatever.n. Different router manufacturers have different ideas about what the network should be and, actually, there is no right answer.

There is also software (I forget names) that simply scans your network and tells you what it finds. edit: koushik is ahead of me.

However, easiest of all is Cnu's (Ranjeet's no.3) solution ---and anybody who knows how to ask the router won't be needing my initial suggestion. They probably did some of the router setup themselves anyway!

Err... Ranjeet, how does Daphile cope with wifi passwords? Or do you start with a wired connection to configure that?

Guide to Digital Audio - Daphile Configuration

Err... Ranjeet, how does Daphile cope with wifi passwords? Or do you start with a wired connection to configure that?

To be honest, I never bothered with WiFi for Daphile. But after Daphile is on the network, and the "Control" device has taken over the control, it is easy to do.

There is a tab for "Wireless Networking" under "Settings". That's all that should be there to it.

[IMG2]http://images60.fotki.com/v367/photos/3/3269643/12997447/DaphileUI03b-vi.png[/IMG2]

The sound from my latop is really awesome , im listening through a headphone from my laptop, but the volume is too loud to put on in few songs . i reduced volume to 0 in Daphile UI music player but the volume doesnt change a bit. i checked in audio devices in general tab , there is an option of bitperfect with no volume control & others option too( i dont remember now) but selected others & tried to reduce volume but its not changing. I tried through other way like reducing the volume in tab( i guess its pointless) & then clicked on laptop volume reduce button but i consider this also pointless. checked advanced media player setting but i restriced myself not to tweak without proper knowledge

Yes .. actually all the DSP has been disabled and not even digital volume control will work. This is to make it bitperfect. You have to use analog volume attenuator to reduce the volume.

The screen in Ranjeet's post 103 has volume control, the bar at the top right. You mean this does not work? It would be sort-of odd, if, in their LMS-based interface, they left the control there but removed its functionality.

Whilst purists (including me) prefer, on principle, not to use digital volume control, if there is not a convenient analogue control available then there is no choice. We should be able to!

The sound from my latop is really awesome , im listening through a headphone from my laptop, but the volume is too loud to put on in few songs . i reduced volume to 0 in Daphile UI music player but the volume doesnt change a bit. i checked in audio devices in general tab , there is an option of bitperfect with no volume control & others option too( i dont remember now) but selected others & tried to reduce volume but its not changing. I tried through other way like reducing the volume in tab( i guess its pointless) & then clicked on laptop volume reduce button but i consider this also pointless. checked advanced media player setting but i restriced myself not to tweak without proper knowledge

Yes .. actually all the DSP has been disabled and not even digital volume control will work. This is to make it bitperfect. You have to use analog volume attenuator to reduce the volume.

The screen in Ranjeet's post 103 has volume control, the bar at the top right. You mean this does not work? It would be sort-of odd, if, in their LMS-based interface, they left the control there but removed its functionality.

Whilst purists (including me) prefer, on principle, not to use digital volume control, if there is not a convenient analogue control available then there is no choice. We should be able to!

It should, I agree with Thad, allow changing the volume if bit-perfect option is turned off.

I vaguely remember it works. But if it doesn't, it's a strong justification for going for a DAC with analouge volume control, or through a preamp. Or if it is for headphone listening, through a headphone amp. :p

Last edited:
I did connected my daphile pc via wifi which initially is bit tough. Once it is connected with wired connection then opening networking in daphile ui & refreshing wireless will give available wifi & then choose from drop-down list. Once it started it somehow saves the settings as I had several restarts & it connects flawlessly wifi without any input to setting s. I connected my daphile laptop to my amplifier & found improved sq

It depends on what you want to serve: the odd document? Music? High-def video?

If it is to handle much traffic, I think you want SATA discs.

Thad is on the money. As such if you are looking for a real cutting edge solution for a minimalist NAS box, look at TP-LINK. I am a big fan of theirs. In fact I did try to make a really minimalist NAS box (consuming less than .5 watts of electricity if you will), it was apparent that it will only be for the sake of hobby, won't do wonders for me in day-to-day use.

In the hindsight it might just make sense to make one anyway. It can at least do "some things". And if we plan those "some things" to be the most often needed things, we have a minimalist NAS for as little as US$ 50.

Food for thought. But will anyone want to use a NAS that's really low on capacity and functionality. Of course it will be cheap to have one.

Edit: To account for Kaushik's last post.

IMO RPi should be able to handle it. What we are talking about it, ability to read and write continuously at say 3/4 MBps. Not too much to ask for I believe.

Also, turning WiFi off could leave more CPU cycles for serving the wired client. It would be worth a shot, technically.

At the same time, NAS boxes would be available in preowned market around US$ 100-150, which will not be able to accommodate latest high capacity drives, but will surely be enough for basic needs including media server.

Last edited:
Thanks Thad and Ranjeet!

I would go with something that does its job properly if not in a great way. I always knew that Rasbpi has "enough" power to do "some thing" but was wanting to know if it does that "properly". It seems that it doesn't. Not thinking of it any more :indifferent14:

Found few cheaper solutions, please suggest on the same -

1. Amazon.com: VOX N1 3.5" USB 2.0/RJ-45 Ethernet NAS (Network Attached Storage) External SATA Hard Drive Enclosure (Black): Everything Else

2. Amazon.com: NAS Adapter: Electronics

3. Amazon.com: WD My Book Live 2TB Personal Cloud Storage NAS Share Files and Photos: Electronics

4. Amazon.com: Cirago NUS1000 Network USB Storage Link: Electronics

:signthankspin:
- Koushik.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back