Let's talk digital!

Reconsider the need for NAS!

If you have any computer on your network (preferably wired) that is always going to be on, then ...just use that.

I find that people find it hard to believe in multi-tasking computers. Probably, a lot of this dates back to earlier versions of Windows, where two file copy commands would effectively freeze a machine. I had been working with Unix when I came to DOS/WIN, so you can imagine how stupid I thought that was! But, these days, Windows can do it.

If you need storage for multiple machines to share, or, if you need to stream when a suitable OC is not going to be on, then you won't need to do that reconsidering.

(These days, I even come across people who think that multiple virtual machines are needed to multi-task --- which is really stupid, because, at least on PC architecture, it is an absurdly inefficient way to do it!)

Thanks Thad and Ranjeet!

I would go with something that does its job properly if not in a great way. I always knew that Rasbpi has "enough" power to do "some thing" but was wanting to know if it does that "properly". It seems that it doesn't. Not thinking of it any more :indifferent14:

Found few cheaper solutions, please suggest on the same -

1. Amazon.com: VOX N1 3.5" USB 2.0/RJ-45 Ethernet NAS (Network Attached Storage) External SATA Hard Drive Enclosure (Black): Everything Else

2. Amazon.com: NAS Adapter: Electronics

3. Amazon.com: WD My Book Live 2TB Personal Cloud Storage NAS Share Files and Photos: Electronics

4. Amazon.com: Cirago NUS1000 Network USB Storage Link: Electronics

:signthankspin:
- Koushik.

WD MyBook Live is best for non-so-technical people with simple needs. In fact, it's more than enough. At $120ish with 2TB of built in storage, it isn't expensive either.

Other linked options didn't excite me. There are more economical ways to get a basic NAS up and running, you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

Reconsider the need for NAS!

If you have any computer on your network (preferably wired) that is always going to be on, then ...just use that.

I find that people find it hard to believe in multi-tasking computers. Probably, a lot of this dates back to earlier versions of Windows, where two file copy commands would effectively freeze a machine. I had been working with Unix when I came to DOS/WIN, so you can imagine how stupid I thought that was! But, these days, Windows can do it.

If you need storage for multiple machines to share, or, if you need to stream when a suitable OC is not going to be on, then you won't need to do that reconsidering.

(These days, I even come across people who think that multiple virtual machines are needed to multi-task --- which is really stupid, because, at least on PC architecture, it is an absurdly inefficient way to do it!)

Thad, a NAS is a revolutionary way to do things. Once you are used to it, you will fail to understand how you lived without one. As of today, I must have some kind of a NAS with me all the time, life really gets slow without one.

Agree with multi-tasking on Windows. I guess the problem is that an OS like Windows has put the power of computing in a lot of people's hands. A lot of them semi-literate, forget being computer literate. Those who are generally good at it, still don't know the basics. Hence, do a lot of things wrong. I wonder why don't people read books like "Computers for dummies", they will save themselves a lot of trouble.

Back to NAS and a regular Windows computer. I disagree Thad, a Windows laptop is a very poor choice for a NAS. A stock Windows computer is optimized for dazzling user experience. But unfortunately that experience doesn't include continuous read and write.

Is a Windows laptop a feasible candidate for a NAS? Yes, it is!

Is a Windows laptop a competent candidate for a NAS? No, it isn't! Even a RPi tailored as a NAS will beat it. It's a matter of specialization. You need a NAS OS to have a proper NAS.

No comments about virtual machines. You are right, nothing can be more silly.

POGO Plug is not a regular NAS, AFAIK, and wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong on this. POGO Plug is a device for countries with super-fast internet. I'd prefer Dropbox over Pogo plug any day.

Last edited:
POGO Plug is not a regular NAS, AFAIK, and wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong on this. POGO Plug is a device for countries with super-fast internet. I'd prefer Dropbox over Pogo plug any day.

Koushik, I am using a Pogoplug since close to a month now. I got it via ishopinternational for around 2k. It has 4 USB ports so it has got enough power to run them. Yes out of the box it acts more of a cloud based storage device. But using this link I ran the Linux commands and without rooting it I am now running a low cost NAS solution with 3 TB of data shared across the network. The same blog site gives you the settings to run the Torrent/Transmission clients as well. If you want more then there is a way to install Arch Linux and make it a full blown Linux system :clapping:.

Thanks Manniraj. I just had a quick look and it looked great. I will go thoroughly over it.

Ranjeet, you mentioned about TP-Link in the previous post. Can you please provide me a link to their product?

Forgot to add that with the default WebUI of the pogoplug you can access your HDD across the internet by either just logging into the web page or install the app on Android/iOS. I am using this app and able to access my important documents/photos online thru my mobile. It even allows me to play back the music files directly on my phone albeit only MP3. This is not exactly the cloud storage but exposing your local storage across the internet.

Thanks Manniraj. I just had a quick look and it looked great. I will go thoroughly over it.

Ranjeet, you mentioned about TP-Link in the previous post. Can you please provide me a link to their product?

Also there is a big thread (let me check it online) where by lots of people with specific model of Pogoplug successfully installed MPD Deomon and running an external DAC to make a replacement for the Squeezebox. I am planning to do that by getting one of these but looks like its a hit and miss with the exact model to root the device. It seems some of the latest devices cannot be rooted with the MPD.

Koushik, I am using a Pogoplug since close to a month now. I got it via ishopinternational for around 2k. It has 4 USB ports so it has got enough power to run them. Yes out of the box it acts more of a cloud based storage device. But using this link I ran the Linux commands and without rooting it I am now running a low cost NAS solution with 3 TB of data shared across the network. The same blog site gives you the settings to run the Torrent/Transmission clients as well. If you want more then there is a way to install Arch Linux and make it a full blown Linux system :clapping:.

When POGO Plug first appeared on the scene, I read about it and dismissed it. I am glad to know people have found ways to make good use out of it.

Once it provided SSH access it was only a matter of time.

Sure, Koushik. Here you go.

Amazon.com: TP-Link TL-WR703N Mini 150M Wireless Router AP Router For iphone4 HTC iPad 1 2 android: Computers & Accessories
TP Link TL WR703N TL WR702N TL WR700N TL WR710N 150Mbps Wifi 3G Wireless Router | eBay

I am sure I also saw it on Indian websites recently too, though I bought mine in China when the device was first launched (to keep me devices networked during travels). When it's main usage got over I made it my little guinea pig.

With this device you can do a lot of things. Though with POGO Plug it would be much easier, it's not as straight-forward with TP-Link TL-WR703N.

Sure, Koushik. Here you go.

Amazon.com: TP-Link TL-WR703N Mini 150M Wireless Router AP Router For iphone4 HTC iPad 1 2 android: Computers & Accessories
TP Link TL WR703N TL WR702N TL WR700N TL WR710N 150Mbps Wifi 3G Wireless Router | eBay

I am sure I also saw it on Indian websites recently too, though I bought mine in China when the device was first launched (to keep me devices networked during travels). When it's main usage got over I made it my little guinea pig.

With this device you can do a lot of things. Though with POGO Plug it would be much easier, it's not as straight-forward with TP-Link TL-WR703N.

I have the TP-Link WDR3600 wifi router with 2 USB ports. I have rooted it with the DD-WRT and it works flawlessly and very stable with lots of features. I was able to run Linux scripts on the SSH and enable the Torrent downloading with a 1TB HDD for downloading. But it worked without any issues even with a WebUI interface to manage the Torrents. But unfortunately I had to shutdown the router for couple of weeks when I was on vacation and after that it never runs properly. So stopped using it for Torrents.

Sounds bad! Did you try reflashing it? What was the outcome?

I haven't tried it out as the wifi functions were working perfectly hence gave up the idea. So I was using it for HDD network sharing which works good. But even that I gave up once the Pogoplug was up and running.

Back to NAS and a regular Windows computer. I disagree Thad, a Windows laptop is a very poor choice for a NAS. A stock Windows computer is optimized for dazzling user experience. But unfortunately that experience doesn't include continuous read and write.

No arguments at all! And, anyway, my Windows experience stopped at XP... I just think that for occasional serving (sharing) it is fine, because then one is not looking for something optimised, just something that works. I suspect that it is even good enough for audio, but maybe not video?

For anything more than casual sharing, well... I fought (and won) to keep my server room free of all Microsoft products. I guess that speaks for itself!

However, for all my dislikes, some justified, some prejudice, I guess that the majority of Squeezeboxes are being served files by Windows machines --- and doing just fine.

What happended to this thread, everyone very busy?

Need some experienced advise on whether direct flac / wav playback by HTPC over samba file shares on Network (1 gbps) is better or a UPnP streamer streaming the files over network to HTPC would be a better solution. Concern is of course SQ.

Any further update or this is only a scam? The OP may please continue as many people like me is waiting to hear more.

Thanks
Venu

One quick question to Ranjeetrain, or any other FM, for that matter, who could answer that.

Is it absolutely necessary* to get the file read from NAS? What is the problem if we attach the HDD that content music files with the Music Server itself via SATA/USB? And connect the Music Server to the Router for controlling it over wifi.

*When I say necessary, I am talking about quality of playback not the technical feasibility.

Last edited:
Hi Koushik,

No. It is neither necessary nor optimal to play from a NAS.

The order of preference is this ->

Internal SATA HDD -> Internal IDE HDD -> External SATA HDD -> External USB drive -> External Flash drive -> NFS share over LAN -> SMB share on LAN -> uPnp.

There, that's your answer. uPnP may be most convenient but it is also least efficient. It is only slightly better than streaming over Internet (Internet radio).

Get the largest capacity internal HDD for your music PC and load your most frequently used music it it. Keep some space spare to load other music as mood demands.

PS: Since I am here less often these days you can shoot me a PM/email if you need.

Actually I'd go with internal SSD > RAM playback and then followed by Ranjeet's list.

BTW (from my personal experience) UPnP quality is extremely good. Most of the "drop" in quality is because of on the fly transcoding that converts FLAC or WAV into MP3 or OGG. If you can disable it and play FLAC or WAV via wifi (local network and not internet) and with quality DAC + components in AVR or stereo receiver then its pretty much the same.

PS - I've not tested with RAID yet, but I plan to next. That said I'm sure SSD will still win... though RAID 0 can match SSDs in transfers, but not in access time where SSDs still have the edge.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back