LG 42LH50: Thanks

blwetorch

LG LCD TV: 42LH50: Thanks

Hi guys!
Let me thank you all for all the advice that I had been soaking through the last couple of weeks in this forum.
I must admit, I was a bit confused with all the choices available.
Finally, I zeroed onto Samsung 40" B530, 40" Sony KLV 550V and S too, LG 42LH50/ 60/70, et al.
Somehow the sales-person at the Next in Pune agreed to reduce the price of the LG 42LH50 from Rs.66900/- to Rs. 56100/- over-night, making my choice easier.
It has all the right specs...
- 200 Hz TruMotion;
- 1,50,000: 1 Dynamic Aspect ratio;
- 42" 10-bit IPCS ( whatever) screen;
- Full HD
- USB 2.0....with all options ( you can play movie and all from your hard-disk)

The first few days of viewing have been great, so far.
I may have to migrate to TATA-Sky + from the ordinary TATA-Sky that I am currently having.
My family is happy.....and that is good enough for me.
My little problems are fixing various equipments to the available ports.
My LCD TV is fixed on the left-hand corner of our room, which is our traditional position. All the ports( USB/ AVG/ HDMI) also unfortunately happen to be on that particular corner.............making it very inconvenient for me to fix the different equipments onto those, if not totally impossible. One good thing though is that you can slide the TV about 10" on to the right ( my TV is wall-mounted). So that gives me 10" on the left-hand corner and some manouevreablity.
I have to check out with the LG guys, as to how to reach the un-reachable ports(back-side) though.
btw, this TV has stunning PQ!

Last edited:
I want to put in 2 observations from my initial experiences.
While playing my home-made videos thru USB, I discovered that it doesn't recognize the .wmv files. These files are a default, if you are creating movies in Windows Movie-Maker, a popular video-editing tool. It recognizes .avi. .vob, .mpg, but not .wmv.
That means I have to re-capture some of my old videos in .mpg format.

Another issue in playing home-made videos thru USB, is the Aspect ratio. It seems it cannot be changed. The length of video got extended side-ways, to cover the entire width of the screen, but the height remained the same. The result was a slightly out of shape video. This has happened with the .mpg files and not the .vob files.

I tried changing the Aspect ratio to 14:9/ Original, etc, but the problem remained.
May be, I shall have to spend some more time with it. The .wmv files meanwhile are bad news.......I shall have to recapture them again from my tapes into .mpg files...........otherwise they won't play.

Hi blwetorch, What price did you get LG 42LH50 for and any freebies along with TV? Thanks.
Oops. Sorry. The price is already mentioned. Can you post your settings that makes for a good picture?

Last edited:
Hi blwetorch, What price did you get LG 42LH50 for and any freebies along with TV? Thanks.
Oops. Sorry. The price is already mentioned. Can you post your settings that makes for a good picture?

Hi.......I have not tweaked with the settings as of now. Plan to do it soon.
We are using the 16:9 aspect ration with Vivid colors.........the default ones.:)
I have connected our DVD player thru component cables in place of the ordinary AV cables...........and the result is a dramatic improvement in PQ.
What is your model?

Last edited:
Hey blwetorch.. congrats on new TV.

Need a help.

Can you download any HD trailer from DivX site ( DivX Plus HD Showcase | DivX.com )

and let me know if it works on TV with USB? Trying to compile a collection of videos to test TVs in showroom. And need to see if these videos would work on LG TVs.

Hey blwetorch.. congrats on new TV.

Need a help.

Can you download any HD trailer from DivX site ( DivX Plus HD Showcase | DivX.com )

and let me know if it works on TV with USB? Trying to compile a collection of videos to test TVs in showroom. And need to see if these videos would work on LG TVs.

Hi Netfreak!
Sorry for the late reply. Frankly, playing the home-made videos thru USB is quite a pain in this model ( 42LH50)...........and I am sure, the same problem remains on the higher end models too.
I have discovered with dismay, that I cannot play the .wmv files thru the USB.............neither can I play the .avi files which I have created using the Windows Movie maker. Only the .mpg are playing fine ( but you never know). I have also heard/ read that you cannot play the HD stuff ( like .mp4 or MKV files) thru USB.
I need to try out the suggestion that you have given, and shall come back on that.
Increasingly, I feel, we need to purchase the WD-TV to play these HD files.
I am currently downloading some HD ( mp4) files from the Animal Planet series in Central DDL. But I am sure, we cannot play them now. I have to use a WD-TV to play them......or create .avi files out of them and write them on to DVDs ( unfortunately my DVD player too is a Standard definition one):sad:

Hi.......I have not tweaked with the settings as of now. Plan to do it soon.
We are using the 16:9 aspect ration with Vivid colors.........the default ones.:)
I have connected our DVD player thru component cables in place of the ordinary AV cables...........and the result is a dramatic improvement in PQ.
What is your model?

Sorry for late reply. I too have LG 42LH50. I have played around with settings and now the picture looks good though i feel that i can be improved more, but no time to play with it :)

I too have connected my DVD player to TV with component cables. The picture quality on DVD is just great. One thing i have noticed is that while watching a movie on DVD i get a feeling that sound has been superimposed on the picture. (I do not have a home theater and use TV speakers while watching movie) Its hard to explain... but its like how movies are made... its just the picture and then sound track added to it. I can really feel it. It happens only sometimes. Maybe because the Picture looks bigger because of a 42 inch TV and not powerful sound from TV. I do not find this problem while watching movies from TV i.e. star movies or HBO etc.

Increasingly, I feel, we need to purchase the WD-TV to play these HD files.

Yes that seems to be the case. I am in a same boat (looking for a media player like ED / Xtreamer).

For now, I am using HDMI port of PC to play videos. This port sends both audio and video to TV.

LG TV seems to have limited capabilities in terms of playing movie files. The LG engineer told me specifically that the TV will only play .AVI files. I have been trying various files and the TV does have limited capabilities. Even in terms of .AVI files, it also seems to run into trouble if the file size is large like the one you get when you rip high definition.

I guess an HTPC or a media player is the best option.

Cheers

Hi friends...

As per CNET review of LG 42LH50 .. here is the summary.

The good: First TV with built-in Netflix streaming; well-implemented Yahoo Widgets engine; accurate color; extensive picture controls including unique Picture Wizard; solid connectivity with four HDMI and one PC input; energy efficient.

The bad: Relatively expensive; reproduces pretty light black levels; does not separate antiblur and anti-judder processing; fails to properly handle 1080p/24 content; below-average off-angle viewing; no S-video input.

The bottom line: While the picture quality of the LG LH50 series won't appeal to videophiles, its Netflix streaming and oodles of other interactive features will win over plenty of folks fed up with external boxes

When I visited a showroom, 1st day a sales person explained about LG 42LH50 and I was decided to go for it. Again I went to the same showroom next day. This day another person gave a demo of both the LG 42LH50 and Sony 40EX500. The Picture quality is very neat in Sony (compared to LG). Every minute details are visible in Sony LCD which the LG not. After this I've decided to go for the Sony.
Any input from others ??
Sony or LG ???
shashi

Last edited:
i have booked 47lh50,and iam yet to recieve it.i want to know about the performance of lh50,how is it for watching movies,is it better to go for lh90?or for samsund b650?,please advise,i watch mainly movies in it?wht about 200hz refresh rate how oes it work,can we have an option to switch it off?

Hi raghukiran..
As per your reply, you watch mainly movies with your 47" LCD .... what type of movies and what is the source ie., HD or SD or DTH. You'l not get a good quality video by watching SD DTH channels on 40" (and more) LCD TV. For 40 and more, HD is a must to experience the magic of movies.
shashi

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back